5.0 out of 5 stars Merchant of Venice.
This is essential reading for advanced students of Drama/English Literature/History and thespians would find it most useful in understanding this Play.Tthe only play where Shakespeare showed a woman to be cleverer that a man!!
Published 14 months ago by D.M.E. Daly

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful for the basics
I have had to read The Merchant of Venice for my English degree, but felt that I needed a little help understanding the bigger themes of the text, as I have heard so much about it before.

Published on 3 Jun 2009 by J.E.T

5.0 out of 5 stars Merchant of Venice., 11 May 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful :D, 30 July 2010
This review is from: Merchant of Venice: York Notes Advanced (Paperback)
It's a good book, full with useful insights to the characters and play. Can be a bit dull in places, but definately worth getting, especially those studying the play at A level. May be a bit simplistic for anything higher.

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful for the basics, 3 Jun 2009
This review is from: Merchant of Venice: York Notes Advanced (Paperback)

I came across this book in the hope it would help me gain a better insight to the play as a whole, which I have to say it did. The themes were well explained, as were critical views, character descriptions and so on. However, the aspect that makes me mark this book down is the fact it has so little focus on scene summaries. Each summary is two paragraphs at best in most cases, and this just does not seem adequate for some of the more weighty scenes.

This guide is good to help you understand the context of the play and give you an overall understanding, but just seems to lack in places and so left me a little unsatisfied. It does deliver the material fairly well, but is not that suitable for higher level exams such as A-Levels, and especially degrees, as it claims. A good study guide, but lacking in real in depth analysis. Buy it to help aid your first impressions, but look elsewhere to supplement it too as this book does not really contain enough to carry you confidently through your exam without alternative reading too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Merchant of Venice Advanced Notes, 31 Mar 2009
This review is from: Merchant of Venice: York Notes Advanced (Paperback)
I found this book extremely insightful especially when reading it along side the original play. I am studying this at degree level and I personally found the debates and different critiques both intresting and informative. A great buy!

Merchant of Venice: York Notes Advanced
Merchant of Venice: York Notes Advanced by William Shakespeare (Paperback - 23 Jun 2005)
6.05