Published on 29 Jun 2012 by Donald Mitchell

3.0 out of 5 stars It's not Scotland Street
Published on 8 July 2011 by Rosemary Kaye

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars It's not Scotland Street, 8 July 2011
I enjoy the Corduroy Mansions series, but I do feel that Alexander McCall Smith never really gets to grips with London in the same way that he handles Edinburgh - this is, of course, unsurprising, as he is an Edinburgh resident. Without the numerous references to real places (Valvonna & Crolla, the Scottish Gallery, etc) and people, the London books seem to me less compelling. There is nothing "London" about the characters, as there is "Edinburgh" about Angus Lordie and Cyril. The characters in A Conspiracy of Friends could really be anywhere.

Having said that, I do think this series is improving as it goes along, and as the characters become better defined. I now really want to know what is going to happen to William and Freddie De La Hay - Alexander McCall Smith definitely has a way with writing about dogs.

As one of the previous reviewers says, these books are extremely comforting, with some laugh out loud moments. I will most certainly look forward to the next instalment, even though Scotland Street will always be my favourite series.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Installment Exploring the Potential of People to Change and Grow, 29 Jun 2012
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
"And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing. Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails." -- 1 Corinthians 13:3-8 (NKJV)

Can we change? Sure. But what does it take? In A Conspiracy of Friends, Alexander McCall Smith takes the familiar cast (plus a few new characters) of the first two books and shows us sides to their personalities that readers may not expect . . . thus creating some surprises and good fun. I'm really looking forward to the next installment to see what happens next!

Berthea Snark is still obsessed with blowing the whistle on her loathsome son, Oedipus. She's equally concerned about her brother, Terence Moongrove, and his latest fancy. Barbara Ragg is enjoying her new love, glad to be quit of Oedipus Snark. Relations with her literary agent partner, Rupert Porter, could become testy if she doesn't decide to move out of her flat. Landing the Yeti is still a bone of contention, as well. Caroline Jarvis finds herself in the middle of a most awkward situation, learning a great deal about herself. William French is driven to distraction by the sudden disappearance of Freddie de la Hay while visiting in the country. His son, Eddie, gets more deeply involved with his new girl friend. William's calm is also perturbed by an unexpected event.

By the time the book ends, you'll have to rethink everything you concluded about where the series is going. I'm sure you'll be pleased. Don't miss it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another clever and entertaining read from McCall Smith, 4 Jun 2011
Mrs. J. Hutson "Longworth" (East Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
A treat for McCall Smith fans; well-written and funny Just when you thought you knew all about the existing characters, he springs surprises. I read this in two days and now am wanting the next instalments.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another enjoyable read, 12 Jun 2012
With the exception of the No. 1 Ladies........I really enjoy Alexander McCall Smith's books.

My favourites are the ones set in Edinburgh because there feels something very real about them, that the characters do exist and if l were to visit the city l would come across them in everyday life.

This novel contains a set of delightful characters who live in London and behave in a mostly ideal/admirable way. When they stray this behaviour is seen as an aberration and they quickly return to a moral way of life. This and the philosophical insights that feature are the reasons the books appeal to me.

The storyline is not too heavy and l don't hurt my brain thinking about the rights and wrongs but simply enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful as always, 2 April 2013
As always Mr McCall Smith writes with such amazing insight and manages to put into words the idocincranses that make each person individual. His fictional characters always become well known friends and acquaintances. You really have to read this series of books for youself

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 27 Mar 2013
As always, Alexander McCall Smith takes you on a journey of humanity, with twists and turns, and bumps along the way. Can't wait to read the next one !

5.0 out of 5 stars I like McCall's style, 25 Feb 2013
R. Thexton (UK) - See all my reviews
As usual, a good absorbing read with McCall introducing many disparate characters and then drawing the various strings to a satisfying conclusion

5.0 out of 5 stars How good can it get?, 10 Feb 2013
How good can it get? A new Alexander McCall Smith series. More new friends to have in one's life. He never disappoints. Please keep them coming!

5.0 out of 5 stars super concoction of stories!, 25 Aug 2012
Joyce Symington "twascotties" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
I like this author very much as he has a very neat outlook on the world and its many mad inhabitants and their weird ways. He shows in this book how we can relate to dogs in a different way to the norm, and also lets us see how the dog may well relate to our world and ourselves as being slightly potty and unpredictable. Freddie de la Hay of course, is a very different dog!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this series, 10 July 2014
Asquinn "Thea W" (Louth Lincs UK) - See all my reviews
Bought for a friend on recommendation. Love this series. Easy, apparently gentle reading but very thought provoking.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

A Conspiracy Of Friends (Corduroy Mansions)
A Conspiracy Of Friends (Corduroy Mansions) by Alexander McCall Smith (Audio CD - 5 May 2011)
Used & New from: 4.55