5.0 out of 5 stars Review from the older audience
I am in my late 30s and read Twilight because I had heard good things and the hype of the movie was good. I enjoyed it immensely and was drawn in by the love story and taken back to my high school days. I became a bit pathetic and moped around for a few days when I had finished the book...simply because I wanted to read more.

Wanting more and itching to read...
Published on 29 Jan 2009 by Jules G

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow narrative but an emotional and deeper book
The second book in the Twilight saga covers the pain Bella goes through when Edward decides to leave and how she bonds with Jacob while trying to get over her heart break.

Published on 27 Jun 2009 by A. Guimaraes

5.0 out of 5 stars Review from the older audience, 29 Jan 2009

Wanting more and itching to read New Moon, I logged on to Amazon and read the reviews and became a little worried as so many people gave it mediocre to poor reviews. However, I decided just to buy it and read it and I am so glad I did.

I found that it is a much better written book than Twilight. It seemed like Stephenie Meyer actually THOUGHT about what she was writing this time, and didn't just throw stuff on the pages randomly.

The compaint other reviews had was the lack of Edward in the story. However, I did not find this a drawback in the least, it was necessary to keep the emotions running as strongly as they do in this book, and I found the storyline excellent. Please do not be put off by the negative reviews - this book is well worth the read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow narrative but an emotional and deeper book, 27 Jun 2009
A. Guimaraes (London, UK) - See all my reviews

Again, Meyer does a great job in portraying how it feels to lose someone you're madly in love with. The sensation of loss, emptiness, the hole in your chest, the difficulty to breath, the effort of trying to keep on living when you feel that nothing else matters - you do feel Bella's pain. For selfish reasons, Bella starts to hang out with Jacob, trying new "highs" so she can hear Edward's voice in her head while she's in peril. Bella and Jacob's bond becomes stronger and they fall in love with each other, not with the same intensity though. Although Bella's feelings are more of a friendly love, very often she says how warmth Jacob's skin and how beautiful he is - you could almost feel a bit of lust and desire in those remarks.

As for Jacob you can also feel his pain and frustration, having Bella so close yet impossible to have. And when Jacob's transformation into werewolf finally happens (who was surprised?), it's an ironic situation since it could be even riskier for Bella to be around Jacob since he's not totally in control of his emotions.

Comparing New Moon to Twilight, there's an improvement in the way Meyer wrote the dialogues and the character display their feelings, even though there are still loads of "I thought", "he growled", "she sighed" every time the characters talk to each other.

Since the biggest part of the book is mostly about how Bella tries do move on and the role Jacob plays in her life, the pace overall is not quite the same as Twilight. However, the last 5 chapters the story develops in a such speed that it's almost hard to follow. In the end, Bella gets her happy ending, even though from now on it will be difficult to please both Jacob and Edward fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW WOW WOW, 20 May 2009
Its official, I am a 36 year old woman and am in love with Edward Cullen.
I watched the film a few weeks ago on DVD and thought it was so good i ordered all 4 book. I was obsessed by the time I finished the first one, I started the second New Moon straight after. I loved every page, althought like other people did flick the pages to see when Edward would re-appear (chaper 20) Still not sure about Jake yet, sometimes I like him and sometimes he is a sulky little boy ( just like my own son in fact) I am currentley reading the 3rd book Eclipse so I am expecting to be up most of the night trying to finish it.
I would recommend to anyone to read these books no matter how young or old you are.
Can't wait for the film in November.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT!!, 10 April 2009
I loved this book, after I had read Twilight I couldn't wait to read this book and it didn't disappoint me in anyway!! This is a great book along with all the others in this series and I would advice anyone to read this book as long as you've read Twilight first!! Enjoy!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Kill it. Kill it now., 26 April 2009
500 pages of Bella being emo.

500 pages of her moping.

Blank pages to show what a dark empty abyss her life is without sparkles.

500 pages of angst.

500 pages of wanting nothing more then to pull out a gun then shoot this book several times.

The only reason I recommend getting this is for adding to a nice fire.

Somebody, put an end to this madness.

3.0 out of 5 stars A gaping hole in the middle, 3 April 2008
I was very excited to see that there was a sequel to Meyer's debut. Twilight did have its faults, but it was light and the romance was refreshingly well written.

And let's face it, I fell in love with Edward just like the rest of us. He's beautiful and frightening at the same time and those of you who have a problem with Bella's continued amazement of his physical appearance: aren't we all shallow enough that we'd like our significant other to look that way? What's wrong with a little fantasy?

With New Moon, the light tone and Bella's sarcastic narrative changed into something dark and hollow. Bella's situation takes a sudden and drastic plunge for the worse: An incident at the Cullen house leaves Edward so shaken he decides to follow through on his promise to "do what's best for her." In this case it means he and his family leave Forks and with that: Bella.

Bella goes to pieces, turning into a shadow of her former self. Edwards absence literally leaves a hole in her chest --and in the book. It's like he was never there; he removed all evidence of his excistence from her, in a vain ettempt to force her to get on with her human life. It's the sadness, more than anything else that drains the book.

This is a story about people so in love with eachtother, their separation nearly destroys them both. New Moon is the 500 paged gap in their chest.

Then Jacob enters the plot. Their friendship takes the front seat --obviously an attempt by Meyer to fill the void Edward's departure caused. Thanks to his company, Bella slowly but surely becomes "alive" again. But ofcourse, her newfound best friend turns out not to be so human after all...

If you've read Helly Armstrong's "Bitten" you'll pick up the clues about what's going on with Jacob soon enough --and you'll become impatient because Bella doesn't catch on as quick. Meyer tried to create a effect similar to Twilight: now Jacob becomes the mysterious boy who isn't quite what he seems beneath the surface.

It's predictable, but I would be able to live with it he held the same amount of attraction Edward did. Instead, I'm having deja vu's all the time: (the "it's not safe for me to be near you" spiel starts all over again.) Jacob had potential, but it would've worked better if Meyer would've made him a completely different character. She did-- in the beginning. After "the change" it's Edward all over again, minus the velvet voice, the angeletic face and the smoldering eyes. He just doesn't have that -well what should I call it- pull. To add to the "fun:" he hates vampires. What a surprise.

Just when some some supporting characters are fleshed out, Edward is back in the story. I missed him so much I didn't even care it felt forced. But it wasn't the same.

Bottomline, New Moon isn't a bad sequel, but it doesn't have that freshness Twilight had. Bella's bordering on insanity and so insecure about herself I'd like to smack her head and tell her to grow up. Still, unlike some readers, I don't think she lost all her appeal as a main character. There's hope left. Hope that Eclipse will close the void New Moon created but could not close.

1.0 out of 5 stars Emo woe squared, 16 Jan 2009
E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
It is official -- Stephanie Meyer is the oldest emo teenage girl on the face of this planet.

How else could she have written a book like "New Moon," the second sparkle-vampire romance in her bestselling Twilight series? Unfortunately this is no deep and intense romance -- it's basically a big oozing lump of teenage melodrama and horrendously purple prose. And the resolutely obnoxious heroine Bella Swan doesn't help with her endless moaning.

Bella's whether-you-like-it-or-not birthday party is wrecked when she cuts herself and prompts Jasper into a feeding frenzy, and the Cullens realize that she's just too tasty to be safe. So they leave town permanently. Cue emo music, for Bella's life is empty and worthless without Edward.

No, seriously -- it's empty. We have blank pages with month names on them, presumably to show that life is utterly empty and pointless when Eddie boy is absent -- "that I wasn't the heroine anymore, that my story was over."

But when she deliberately tries to put herself in danger, she hears Edward commanding her to stop. So she buys a motorcycle and starts immersing herself in extreme sports, hoping to hear him over and over again -- and she also gets to know local hunk Jacob Black, who has a supernatural secret of his own. But her near-suicidal antics have disastrous results for Edward, who believes her to be dead... and takes drastic action.

For the record, being seventeen-plus and/or breaking up with your True Luv are a fate worse than death. Teen Romance = True Luv. Catatonia and suicide are valid responses to being dumped. And life is an endless vile morass of nihilistic doom without a Sparkling Undead Coverboy to validate your existance and keep life from being ordinary.

At least, that is what "New Moon" would have you believe, since Stephanie Meyer smothers it in enough teenage melodrama and endless whiny angst to choke a blue whale. Thankfully her purple prose has been toned down -- presumably due to the absence of the "godlike" Edward -- but unfortunately page upon page of whining and suicidal despair is not a good substitute.

The entire story is pretty much devoted to the ever-passive Bella moping and whining as the sound of the world's smallest violin plays. Meyer attaches hilariously melodramatic significance to such scenes as Bella trying to get raped and murdered by a random bunch of guys, or having a recurring emo nightmare about being -- oh gasp of horror -- alone. You'd think being single was a death sentence.

Belatedly, Meyer realizes that post-breakup angst is not enough to carry even this thin plot. So she quickly spins up a bunch of Bad Evil Restrictive Vampires (with a not-so-subtle anti-Catholic bent), and Edward attempting suicide by the most hilarious method possible -- public sparkling. Such scenes almost mock themselves.

And Bella's endless woe-is-me-for-I-am-a-plain-mortal angst doesn't make her more vulnerable and likable -- it just eats up pages. And while Meyer tries desperately to show Bella's obsession as being True and Eternal Love, it never seems like more than a teenage girl's overwrought crush. And in a feeble attempt at a love triangle, Meyer makes Bella flirt callously with Jacob Black -- a sweet, nice, friendly guy who deserves way better.

"New Moon" is a prolonged, near-plotless slog of teenage melodrama, and it's nothing short of amazing that a grown woman could write such a book. Only for those who enjoy a fine whine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, can;t wait for the next!!, 24 Jan 2008
Ms. S. J. Craddock "SammyJC" (Birmingham in Britain, UK) - See all my reviews
I read Twilight and this book in a matter of three days because I found myself being drawn into the world of Bella, feeling the emotions she goes through and the desires she has for her lover Edward and her best friend Jacob. Although i love this book i can't help feeling that Stephenie Meyer allowed the reader to be caught up in the emotions and love that Jacob feels towards Bella and probably ruined the bonds that the reader developes for Edward. His absense during the book left an empty space in Bellas life and it also leaves an empty space in the book. Probably too much of an empty space. The passion becomes lost and although Bella comes round to thinking that maybe she should accept Jacobs feelings towards her and forget about Edward, it just doesn't pack the same punch as Twilight. Then all of a sudden Edward is thrust straight back into the lime light!! I can't help but feel sad for poor Jacob, he loves Bella and she dumps him when Edward returns. I found myself crying along with Bella. When she describes the feeling of her chest being ripped apart with the loss of Edward, as a woman i could relate to her feeling of utter loss. Stephenie Meyer really knows how to pack the emotional punches into a story aswell as the action sequences. I love this book as a whole and can't wait for the next one to be delivered. I'm ordering it straight away from Amazon!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Juvenile Tripe, 28 Nov 2009
E. Bason (England) - See all my reviews
As a 15-year-old, and with it being so popular with my classmates, I was convinced I would like this book. I wasn't particularly impressed with Twilight but I made the naive assumption that the plot had to thicken, and that the storyline must improve at some point. I was obviously mistaken.

I put New Moon down around 2/3 in because I was so disgusted by just how...rubbish it is. I found that the book didn't grip me, because I really didn't care about the characters. They are all very shallow and one-dimensional.

Bella Swan is utterly bland without any personality whatsoever. The only emotions she seems to feel are angst and moodiness. She is apparently "unconditionally and irrevocably" in love with Edward, yet whenever she's with him she behaves sullenly and childishly. If I was her age and had already found someone who I loved that much, and who I believed to love me back, I would be ecstatic. Or at least I might smile a little. And not whinge and angst about that fact that the boy I love's family has spent a good deal of time planning a birthday party for me. This is NOT normal teenage behaviour. I was embarrassed that my age group was being represented in this way. In fact, I couldn't relate to her at all. I have never met anyone in or out of school of that age who behaves anything like her. This is part of the reason I didn't like the book; relating to the protagonist of a story is very important for me.

I won't blather on too much, though I do have an abundance of reasons not to read this book. I shall just point out one of my pet peeves about the book, in terms of Smeyer's writing style. Apart from her apparent abusive love affair with hyphens, and paragraphs littered with purple prose (Edward is "excruciatingly lovely", "like a marble tribute to some forgotten pagan god of beauty", with "liquid topaz eyes". Alright Smeyer, Edward's sexy, WE GET IT NOW) my main problem with this novel is the overuse of adverbs. They litter the page, and good trees are being killed to print these extra pagefuls as consequence. Unfortunately I cannot quote any at the moment as I have returned the book, but seriously, make a tally per page. It's quite amusing in a way.

Please, don't put yourself through the trauma of reading this book. Just don't.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, 22 Dec 2013
Cooooooooooool I heart twilight
description is brilliant I have to recommend it you'll love it if you enjoy adventure and excitement

New Moon (Twilight Saga)
New Moon (Twilight Saga) by Stephenie Meyer (Audio CD - 21 May 2009)
23.21