VINE VOICEon 9 September 2006
James Herriot is now married and enjoying the benefits of having someone to cuddle up against after a night call as well as a lot of good food. The 4th book in the series about the life of a country vet it doesn't let up as we are treated to more laughs. James Herriot is a true story telling genius.

Tristan is coming to the end of his veterinary course and is finally getting down to work although this doesn't stop him from indulging in a bit of boozing and a gag or two. Siegfried too supplies his share of laughs but we also get introduced to Granville Bennett who is a character all to himself! A surgeon for small animals by trade he has a nasty habit of getting James blind drunk before taking him home to visit his wife. Unfortunately, drink doesn't seem to do much to the tough surgeon making James seem like a total drunk much to his chagrin.

If you've enjoyed the other books in the series then this is a must have.
on 30 September 2000
This book is lively and bright and the author describes the beauty of Yorkshire brillantly as well as inventing wonderfully crafted characters the mixture is splendid. It is a good relaxing read good for some real laughs you can really relate to the characters and James Herriot.
on 16 May 2012
Another excellent installment form the Herriot. Great storylines, amusing adventures, and accurate (if a little outdated - do not take this as modern Gospel!) veterinary treatments. However, this one focusses more on Herriot's life, and I prefer the nitty-gritty treatment stuff, but it's still a great relaxation tool.
on 11 August 2015
The 4th book in the series. He is now married to Helen, and farm life is still the same as ever. We read once again about Granville Bennett, and how he gets James into an insensible state. There is also village cricket involved, and James finds himself in the centre.

On a more serious note, James receives his call up papers for the RAF on his birthday. At the end of the book, we share his distress at having to leave Helen and Yorkshire for RAF Training.
on 28 December 2012
Every story is a jewel, I've been reading his books one after another and I wish I never get to an end. The only reproach is that in every book there are a few stories that already been published before so the more books you read the more repeated stories you have, otherwise, everything is perfect
on 26 April 2014
Re-read this after many years and stil found it as entertaining. Being a Northern in exile, I thoroughly enjoyed the scenic descriptions which reminded me of earlier years. Even if you don't know the countryside, there is still enough material to keep you involved in the storyline
on 28 June 2014
This book gives a wonderful insight into the working life of a rural vet in the 1930's very interesting but the number of errors in the book seriously let it down I was constantly irritated by the typo's it put me off reading.
on 4 August 2009
Vets in Harness is Well written and fun to listen to. I have enjoyed all of the James Herriot collection so far. Excellent piece of drama well worth buying.
on 2 December 2013
I am Scottish and a lot of my family are from Yorkshire and I read these book when I was younger. It was great to revisit them now. A very entertaining read.
on 13 September 2014
Excellent seller,item just as described,well packed, good quality, fast delivery. Just what the online purchaser wants from a seller.