4.0 out of 5 stars A great read that entertains with everyday examples
Malcolm Gladwell takes us on a journey through a vast range of human experiences (such as racism, dating, identifying genuine works of art, autism, police shooting the wrong man), exploring how our pre-programmed unconscious may be influencing us far more than we realize.

Blink is defined as "the content and origin of those instantaneous impressions and...
Published on 2 Jan. 2007 by Tim Burness

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting enough, but an expanded article rather than a book
Gladwell certainly writes well and entertainingly about an interesting subject - but as each new chapter started I began by thinking 'right, NOW we are going to have some advances, NOW the arguments are going to be explored and developed,' and basically, they never were. The book said what it had to say really within the first couple of chapters, with examples of where...
Published on 22 Feb. 2007 by Lady Fancifull

‹ Previous | 116 17 1824 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, simple to understand, 12 Oct. 2014
Fantastic book, by far one of the best, well laid out and simple to understand concepts / examples used

5.0 out of 5 stars Getting rid of the wool over your eyes, 23 Aug. 2006
Sarakani (Harrow United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
How can we decide something and how fast? This book explores this topic.

The best thing about this book for me is in revealing how our prejudice miscolours the accuracy of the decisions we make. Gladwel provides some telling examples from associative thinking type questionaires that expose our subconscious assumptions about skin colour or gender that threaten making better choices than those we would make burdened with false assumptions.

Blink overall is a fascinating book. Decisions made in a hurry can obviously be ace compared to compiling piles of data and analysing them in non-intuitive, statistical formats. The major buzzword in this book is "Thin slicing". Rather than having a whole cake of info on something as a basis on which to make a hopefully correct decision, how thin a slice would you need to arrive at the same conclusion. The answer is surprisingly very thin indeed.

Things like a tone of voice can, according to this book prove just as decisive if not more than the content of any speech.

Vast and exciting examples of decision making are explored: Simulated wars; police shooting the wrong man/men; judging art work for authenticity; assessing couples breaking up on the basis of their conversations; looking at facial expressions and even the "Pepsi challenge" and selling cars. The themes are explored in an exciting fashion.

Gladwell reveals a lot about himself and illuminates many areas - helping us to focus on how we can train our faculties to make snap judgements weareas at the same time being wary of making decisions under stress or with wrongful assumptions about people in general.

Gladwell conveys the problems inherent in making snap judgements that can be plain wrong. He does not expand too much on this - I suppose this is why many of us are reluctant to make too many snap judgements (on important matters), because this could be just too risky. However this book does help you to avoid any risks, especially if you like a small gamble.

I read this book so fast and think it will be helpful and boost the confidence of any interested reader. It is not a long book to read. Please be warned that you should not make blink decisions and think of it as a virtue - it would be nice if you can spot your perfect partner in a blink, but would he/she agree? The fact of the matter is we continuously make snap decisions that are not especially consequential or even when we do make momentuous decisions that are good, it may rely on a good deal of subconscious input. As an example, I looked at this book for less than 10 seconds before buying it, and I'm glad I did.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thanks Blink is very good, 30 Oct. 2010
R. Watson "bookworm" (Spain) - See all my reviews
Thanks the book is very interesting and you can learn a lot from reading the sections about the mind.

1.0 out of 5 stars Yawn!, 6 April 2006
N. Dale "NM Dale" (Guildford) - See all my reviews
I don't believe there's one word of intelligent thinking in this book. The theories are flimsy to say the least, and the reviews on the back of the book are all lies!
i thought this book would make a change from the usual fiction, but after persevering to the end in the hope that it would finish on something useful, i was left frustrated that i'd wasted so much time on it. The whole thing is just common sense!
Can you make a judgement of something at first glance? Depends on what it is? That's the crux of the book... whoopee!
YAWN!

5.0 out of 5 stars Stimulating and eclectic, 21 Feb. 2009
Moose Papoose (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I loved this book. It was thought-provoking and beautifully illustrated with examples. It is a stand-alone on this fascinating subject.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent as usual for this author, 5 Mar. 2015
As usual the author is really good at demonstrating a lot of different thing in one book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Trust your instincts!, 28 Feb. 2006
Very clever, well observed understaning of why we are able to understand incredibly complex concepts in a 'blink'. Drawing analogies and examples from fields as diverse as militry planning to relationship counselling, this book provides some compelling insights into our snap judgements.
Well written and insightful, this title only falls short in its lack of techiniques to allow you to develop this already ingrained skill on a personal level. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars enlightening, 14 May 2009
A fascinating read, it puts you off speed dating and American police all in one book!

5.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable and compelling read - more something that gets you thinking and not an intense scientific analysis., 18 Nov. 2008
E. J. Smith "Shakespeare's Sister" (Cardiff, Wales) - See all my reviews
'Blink' is, as many others have said, an anecdotal, absorbing book on the premise of just how powerful gut instincts can be. It's not an in-depth analysis or criticism of theory, but as I picked it up that wasn't what I was looking for anyway. As a Psychology student, I read it outside of my course for enjoyment and not only does it give grounding to such an interest (i.e. a friend in her 3rd year of Psychology is using 'thin-slicing' in her project, and I lent her this book to help her understand it fully!) but is also one of those books that stays with you. It affects how you think about certain decisions and a greater understanding of your own mind. What more could you want from it?

2.0 out of 5 stars Not that enjoyable, 17 Feb. 2009
This book does not deserve the hype. The concept of taking decisions in blink of an eye is nothing new. The book gives some examples where people do take big decisions based on very "thin slice" of information available, but does not tell you how to acquire that. Yes, the author does explain how someone can gather a better judgement on a context, however, one might acquire that skill after a number of visits to psychologists. The main concept of the books is that you can take decisions based on intuitions rather than elaborate week long analysis. But after reading the book, it is still not clear to my how I can gain that skill, rather than just relying on my intuitions.

‹ Previous | 116 17 1824 | Next ›

Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking
Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcolm Gladwell (Audio CD - 14 Dec. 2006)
Used & New from: £10.05