4.0 out of 5 stars Fast but good
I admit I was sceptical about this short novel by Cornwell, being very short, but I had to change my mind. Dear Patricia in this little gem of hers shows her great ability to use the synthesis without depleting the story. She just narrates the basic features, without frills and without being long-winded, giving rise to a compelling story that you do not get bored of and...
Published 18 months ago by Anakina

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh Dear!!
Published on 6 April 2007 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh Dear!!, 6 April 2007
I have always loved the Kay Scarpetta series and picked up this book thinking that it was going to be just as good. How mistaken I was. The story has no plot and jumps from one aspect to another without any thought. The charcters seem to have some sort of sixth sense (in my opinion) as they somehow manage to solve the crime without using any of the evidence, of which there is very little.

If you, like me are used to the standard of the Scarpetta series, then you would be better off ignoring this book, I wish I had!

1.0 out of 5 stars Appalling, 9 April 2007
G. Peet "toffeebar" (St Helens) - See all my reviews
Having read Ms Cornwells books from the early Potters Field, it has been saddening to see her novels deteriorate so badly. This one however, is in a class of its own.

The crime as such - a twenty year old murder 'cold case' involving a rich old lady - is almost forgotten about in the drivel of supposedly political machinations. There is no plot, no believe-ability and, as one other reviewer stated, no characters that you even begin to care about.

I have never read such a weak novel. Whilst in its favour it is mercifully short, dont buy this if you are looking for a crime/forensic book. Out of the hundred and eightyish pages, the murder is done and dusted in approxamately twenty. If that. Suddenly towards the end of the book, almost as an after-thought, the details of the crime and the murders are solved in about ten paragraphs. Thats it. No detective work as such, no preponderance of evidence, no possible suspects to dither between, just WHAM!!!! instant solving of age old murder.

Avoid this book like the plague. It is atrocious.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sorely disappointed, 12 July 2006
In line with other readers I found this very disappointing. It seems hurried. Rushed out to make a bit more money. Preying on the gullibility of fans. Don't waste your money!

1.0 out of 5 stars At Risk, 23 Jun. 2006
Brian R. Rosier (UK) - See all my reviews
Having been an avid reader of Cornwell's books I looked forward to the latest one. It is a very poor story and not value for money. Under 200 pages of double spaced script which could be condensed to 100 pages - a new author wouldn't get past thne first post with this.

1.0 out of 5 stars Patricia Cornwell is Taking the Mick, 3 Jun. 2007
P. Scott (Leicester, England) - See all my reviews
If I hadn't known otherwise, I would never have guessed that this 'novel' was written by Patricia Cornwell. The plot was weak, the characters shallow and stereotyped, and the writing poor. Patricia Cornwell seems to be trading on her success to make money out of her fans by palming them off with this sub-standard work masquerading as a full length novel. If you allow for the wide margins, large print and numerous blank pages, this is, at best, a short story. To sell it as a full length novel is a con, and must stretch the Trades Description Act to the limit. When I had finished it, I felt that I had been cheated and was quite angry. I shall never again buy any more Cornwell books other than the Scarpetta series.

1.0 out of 5 stars Complete drivel, 30 Mar. 2007
Karen Wilson "Karen Wilson" (Aberfoyle, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I have loved Patricia Cornwell books from the very start, but they have deteriorated over the past few years (with the exception of Trace which was excellent, much more like the old Cornwell) - but this is in a class of it's own (hopefully). It is absolutely horrendous. The characters are unlikable and annoying, so frankly you don't really care what happens to them. The one good thing I can say about this book is that it is short so the torture of reading it doesn't last too long.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievably Bad , Where has Patricia Cornwell Gone?, 29 April 2007
G. Allan "Lyn" (Cupar, Fife) - See all my reviews
How can someone who wrote such fantastic gripping books like Body Farm, Potters Field, Cause of Death, Body of Evidence etc turn out such total rubbish? Sad to say that even Kay Scarpetta books have been going downhill slowly too. And this from a great fan of hers. We both felt we "knew" KaY, Lucy and Marinno, the way she wrote about them, fully describing everything about them, reading those books, you lived with them virtually!!! Bit I'm sorry to say I only forced myself to finish this book off so I could say I had given it a chance. I was really looking forward to it coming out.

Please someone somewhere let Patricia C. know what she is doing to her reputation and bring back Scarpetta...the old Scarpeta not the new style of writing either!!!! The latest Scarpetta books have made her sound cold.

This review hasnt even really touched on At Risk. The reason ? I have nothing to say except to agree with the other reviewer if you must read it, get it from the library. Don't waste your money.

I won't even sell it on Amazon.

1.0 out of 5 stars Help!, 5 July 2006
Being an avid fan of Patricia Cornwell and her style I started to read her newest book "At Risk" last week. Having read two chapters I find I can't be bothered to pick it up and read any more. The characters are flat and uninteresting, and the story line fails to grip unlike the Scarpetta stories,(although the last few offerings of these are not a patch on the earlier ones). Think I'll stick to Kathy Reichs in future if I want a good patholgy story!

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing and Over-Rated, 20 Oct. 2007
The book begins with a beguiling opening sentence, but I soon lost interest in the story. The unsympathetic characters soon gave way to stereotype. Nearly everyone is a hard-bitten, career-focused meglamaniac. None more so than the female police protagonist, who gets raped then pulls herself together remarkably quickly and gives a cohorent press conference within a few hours vowing to champion good against evil with her new crime fighting unit. How many rape victims manage to do this in real life? Not many, I bet. Ms Cornwell needs to do a reality-check and speak to some traumatised rape victims then she would have a clearer idea what she is writing about. Needless to say, the author lost me at this point, and the only character I found at all engaging was the grandmother. I found it impossible to relate to the other characters and the short length of this book made for a skimpy read. People read fiction because they want to relate to characters who have strengths and frailties. Ms Cornwell's characters are completely devoid of the latter.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish!!!!!!!, 19 July 2007
I waited until I could buy the book when the price was reduced as I had read the reveiws on Amazon and didnt want to waste my money. I really wish I had kept my £3.73. I could not even get halfway through. I would read a paragraph and sit back and ask, "who the heck wrote this drivel???" The grammer is so appalling I felt like getting out a red pen and correcting it, like a teacher. Whoever has stolen Patricia Cornwell, please give her back! I gave 1 star as there is no catagory for NO stars.

At Risk (Winston Garano Series)
At Risk (Winston Garano Series) by Patricia Cornwell (Audio CD - 1 Jun. 2006)