5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book
Excellent Patricia at her best as always once again when I started reading I could not put It down superb
Published 8 months ago by brianatkins

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh Dear!!
Published on 6 April 2007 by Mrs. K. Coutts

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh Dear!!, 6 April 2007
Mrs. K. Coutts (Preston, UK) - See all my reviews
I have always loved the Kay Scarpetta series and picked up this book thinking that it was going to be just as good. How mistaken I was. The story has no plot and jumps from one aspect to another without any thought. The charcters seem to have some sort of sixth sense (in my opinion) as they somehow manage to solve the crime without using any of the evidence, of which there is very little.

If you, like me are used to the standard of the Scarpetta series, then you would be better off ignoring this book, I wish I had!

1.0 out of 5 stars Sorely disappointed, 12 July 2006
In line with other readers I found this very disappointing. It seems hurried. Rushed out to make a bit more money. Preying on the gullibility of fans. Don't waste your money!

1.0 out of 5 stars Appalling, 9 April 2007
G. Peet "toffeebar" (St Helens) - See all my reviews
Having read Ms Cornwells books from the early Potters Field, it has been saddening to see her novels deteriorate so badly. This one however, is in a class of its own.

The crime as such - a twenty year old murder 'cold case' involving a rich old lady - is almost forgotten about in the drivel of supposedly political machinations. There is no plot, no believe-ability and, as one other reviewer stated, no characters that you even begin to care about.

I have never read such a weak novel. Whilst in its favour it is mercifully short, dont buy this if you are looking for a crime/forensic book. Out of the hundred and eightyish pages, the murder is done and dusted in approxamately twenty. If that. Suddenly towards the end of the book, almost as an after-thought, the details of the crime and the murders are solved in about ten paragraphs. Thats it. No detective work as such, no preponderance of evidence, no possible suspects to dither between, just WHAM!!!! instant solving of age old murder.

Avoid this book like the plague. It is atrocious.

1.0 out of 5 stars At Risk, 23 Jun 2006
Brian R. Rosier (UK) - See all my reviews
Having been an avid reader of Cornwell's books I looked forward to the latest one. It is a very poor story and not value for money. Under 200 pages of double spaced script which could be condensed to 100 pages - a new author wouldn't get past thne first post with this.

1.0 out of 5 stars SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!11, 14 April 2007
I am a fan of Patricia Cornwell who, until now, has never been disappointed. I had to force myself to finish reading this nonsense. Even at half the retail price, this book of less than half the usual amount of pages and approx twice the font size was a rip off.

1.0 out of 5 stars Complete drivel, 30 Mar 2007
Karen Wilson "Karen Wilson" (Aberfoyle, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I have loved Patricia Cornwell books from the very start, but they have deteriorated over the past few years (with the exception of Trace which was excellent, much more like the old Cornwell) - but this is in a class of it's own (hopefully). It is absolutely horrendous. The characters are unlikable and annoying, so frankly you don't really care what happens to them. The one good thing I can say about this book is that it is short so the torture of reading it doesn't last too long.

1.0 out of 5 stars Patricia Cornwell is Taking the Mick, 3 Jun 2007
P. Scott (Leicester, England) - See all my reviews
If I hadn't known otherwise, I would never have guessed that this 'novel' was written by Patricia Cornwell. The plot was weak, the characters shallow and stereotyped, and the writing poor. Patricia Cornwell seems to be trading on her success to make money out of her fans by palming them off with this sub-standard work masquerading as a full length novel. If you allow for the wide margins, large print and numerous blank pages, this is, at best, a short story. To sell it as a full length novel is a con, and must stretch the Trades Description Act to the limit. When I had finished it, I felt that I had been cheated and was quite angry. I shall never again buy any more Cornwell books other than the Scarpetta series.

1.0 out of 5 stars Help!, 5 July 2006
Being an avid fan of Patricia Cornwell and her style I started to read her newest book "At Risk" last week. Having read two chapters I find I can't be bothered to pick it up and read any more. The characters are flat and uninteresting, and the story line fails to grip unlike the Scarpetta stories,(although the last few offerings of these are not a patch on the earlier ones). Think I'll stick to Kathy Reichs in future if I want a good patholgy story!

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish!!!!!!!, 19 July 2007
I waited until I could buy the book when the price was reduced as I had read the reveiws on Amazon and didnt want to waste my money. I really wish I had kept my 3.73. I could not even get halfway through. I would read a paragraph and sit back and ask, "who the heck wrote this drivel???" The grammer is so appalling I felt like getting out a red pen and correcting it, like a teacher. Whoever has stolen Patricia Cornwell, please give her back! I gave 1 star as there is no catagory for NO stars.

1.0 out of 5 stars At Risk (of insomnia!!), 29 May 2007
A. J. Feast - See all my reviews
Having read nearly all of this authors books, i should have taken note of the reviews from people who had read it, but no i know best!!

This book was so boring, i didn't care about the characters or the plot, it was so pathetic. Anyway just after suffering half the book i put it down and started a different book with more interest. I hope this is just a blip for the author, if not i wont waste my money on any more of her novels.

At Risk (Winston Garano Series)
At Risk (Winston Garano Series) by Patricia Cornwell (Audio CD - 1 Jun 2006)
13.74