5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable aid to a great trip
Bought this for our trip to the 2011 Rugby World Cup and it proved invaluable for our 6 week trip. We started in Christchurch and visited Dunedin, Invercargill, Te Anau & Queenstown on the North Island. The North Island leg of our journey took in Auckland, Whitianga, Tauranga & Rotorua.

As a matter of course we would visit the local Tourist Information on...
Published 20 months ago by S. Anderson

2.0 out of 5 stars great info but rubbish on a kindle
I am a fan of rough guides and this is another good one. HOWEVER I bought this for my kindle and thought this would be a brilliant way to save luggage space and weight. Disappointingly it is really hard to find the sections that you need.

Published on 22 Oct 2012 by A. Mazers

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars great info but rubbish on a kindle, 22 Oct 2012

For example: I wanted to look for Rotorua. This isn't one fo the main titles that can be found on the main index page as it is a smaller place and, not knowing NZ very well, I wasn't sure under which of the main index titles it came under, as I don't know all the locations yet. So I think to myself, I'll do a search for the word ROTORUA. Now 150 references to Rotorua come up yet the subtitle Rotorua for the sub-section in one of the bigger chapters on this area DOES NOT come up. So it's impossible to find. Now, few people read guide books from front to back. We all know an area we want to read more about and want to rush there in the book. You just can't do this on a kindle. Plus, having it on my kindle touch with a black and white screen it is way less enjoyable when you can't see coloured pictures. I really think either amazon or Rough guides should really address this issue. Surely if you search for a place name the first result should be the chapter this title.

What a great thing it would be to be able to carry all your travel guides on a kindle, but not if you cannot find what you are looking for. Disappointing that no-one has actually thought how people use the literature they are reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable aid to a great trip, 19 April 2013
This review is from: The Rough Guide to New Zealand (Paperback)

As a matter of course we would visit the local Tourist Information on arrival in somewhere new, the locals would also always be very happy to talk over your journey & would be very forthcoming with advice on places to visit locally, I'd then follow-up on the advice given by cross-referencing with the guide. This served us perfectly throughout as whatever we needed was always in there and enhanced the information we'd been given.

My plan was to follow a similar system for the forthcoming British Lions tour in Australia but, on initial browsing, the guide doesn't seem to be anywhere near as good

3.0 out of 5 stars Keeps you firmly on the beaten track, 5 July 2013
Beardy Weirdy (Anchorage, Alaska) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Rough Guide to New Zealand (Paperback)
Disappointingly the content is no more than an amalgamation of the information provided by the Department of Conservation (notoriously conservative in their suggestions) and the tours offered at every i-SITE dotted round the country (sales driven unless you befriend them). The content will be adequate for most however you will not get a feeling of discovery from using this book. It is up to date though which is most peoples deciding factor. In hindsight I would have tried the Frenzy guide, and only visited the South Island.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Travel Guides, 15 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Rough Guide to New Zealand (Paperback)
I have used ' Rough Guides' whenever I've wished to travel to places I've never been before and they've never let me down.
They have everything you might need to know, at a sensible price

5.0 out of 5 stars Usual informative guidebook for all, 30 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Rough Guide to New Zealand (Paperback)
I always have used Rough Guides when I travel abroad as it covers all types of traveler not just backpackers. Good information and well researched and invaluable when planning a trip.

5.0 out of 5 stars Updated information, 19 Nov 2012
Mrs. Jacqueline Faller "Jacquie F" (York England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Rough Guide to New Zealand (Paperback)
we have the old 2010 version but realised that we would need the newest version now that our trip down under is on the horizon.Relevant info re Christchurch after the earthquakes.Updated maps much bette now they are not in brown where detail was difficult to read.Matt photos also better than in previous guide

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful guide, 25 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Rough Guide to New Zealand (Paperback)
This newly updated guide book proved extremely helpful and accurate on a recent trip to New Zealand. In particular we followed recommendations for food and drink, and these took us to some real gems we most likely would not have found for ourselves. Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bigger print, 22 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Rough Guide to New Zealand (Paperback)
This book is full of excellent descriptions of both the North and south islands. Maps are clear, my only problem is that the print is so small to get so much info into the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars wow, 19 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Rough Guide to New Zealand (Paperback)
There is so much information here I am wondering whether I can read it all before I visit New Zealand next year, should've got it sooner, very helpful

4.0 out of 5 stars Insider Guide, 24 April 2014
This review is from: The Rough Guide to New Zealand (Paperback)
Lots of ideas for places to go/see and things to do. On a coach tour it gave me local information for the places we stopped at, only snag was it was too bulky to carry most of the time but ideal as a reference.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Rough Guide to New Zealand
The Rough Guide to New Zealand by Tony Mudd (Paperback - 3 Sep 2012)