5.0 out of 5 stars First Class Rough Guide rather than gruff guide
The latest edition of this book has had a makeover. I don't know whether all rough guides are going to get the new design, but there's a nod to Lonely Planet with the easy to read shorter sections rather than acres of text. This is now balanced with more maps (in colour!) and photos too. This works better.
Most importantly, in this particular guide, the same authors...
Published on 22 April 2012 by electro pop fan

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for the basics but not entirely interesting or clear
We used the book on our travels to Lake Como, Lake Lugano, and Milan. Not the best travel book we used but it was decent.

Published on 11 Sep 2012 by AS007

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars First Class Rough Guide rather than gruff guide, 22 April 2012
electro pop fan (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Rough Guide to the Italian Lakes (Paperback)
Most importantly, in this particular guide, the same authors have eaten their words and removed much of the snooty comments of the previous two editions that gave Lake Garda and Iseo in particular the Simon Cowell treatment. It's as if Lucy Ratclliffe and Matthew Teller have attended an undergraduate course on 'making your case' and have supported any comments about the beautiful places described in the book with evidence. The only negatives is that the font seems a little too small (I could be wrong but just seems it) and there are some minor inaccuracies on the frequency of boat services on the lakes which sometimes give the impression boats are more frequent than they are. Overall this is an excellent book and you'd find it difficult to get a better book on the area.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good One Volume Guide, 12 July 2012
Eugene Onegin (Lincoln England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Rough Guide to the Italian Lakes (Paperback)
I bought this guide for a trip which would take in both Milan and the Lakes and my concern was would there be enough coverage of both in the one book? Well, the good news is that this Rough Guide does fulfill both functions pretty well. The section on Milan is fairly extensive (50 pages) and includes a decent selection of the sights, some useful recommendations on hotels and restaurants and a few maps which are useful albeit not very detailed. The four major lakes also receive similar coverage and importantly include up to date information about boats, special tickets and admission prices. Additionally there are suggestions for other city day trips in the area including Pavia, Verona and Mantova with supporting material. The text is backed up with more colour illustrations than previous Rough Guides that I have purchased and you still get the interesting contexts and further reading sections. Some readers on a budget may find that the recommendations for accommodation and eating have gone rather up market and out of their price range, but for most this is a very handy one volume guide to a gorgeous part of Italy. In the end, I was glad that I chose this particular guide. Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Paper or e-book?, 5 Jan 2013
Bought this as an e-book as an experiment to see if we could manage without having the pages to flick through. The book itself is full of the information we were looking for but won't really know how good until we actually go to the Italian lakes. I wouldn't buy a Rough Guide or other guide as an e-book again as I have found that I prefer to be able to flick backwards and forwards with fingers keeping the page/s I want to compare for easy access which I found I didn't like in the e-book format. I would recommend this Guide to the Lakes.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for the basics but not entirely interesting or clear, 11 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Rough Guide to the Italian Lakes (Paperback)

It was a good base to start reading up about potential places to visit. We did find that the descriptions of places were often uninspired and slightly misinformed. Particularly irritating were the unclear directions and map postings of restaurants.

5.0 out of 5 stars It does not let you down!, 13 Aug 2012
This review is from: The Rough Guide to the Italian Lakes (Paperback)
This book, like most rough guide travel books, is great. It covered enough info about the area and gave us a great starting point from which to do some of our own exploring. The Italian lakes and Milan are great destinations too!

4.0 out of 5 stars Italian Lakes, 14 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Rough Guide to the Italian Lakes (Paperback)
Bought this to take with us earlier this year when we visited Lake Como for the first time. Found it incredibly useful whilst there, with suggestions to visit interesting places, good bistros, all sorts .... Would also like to visit Lake Garda so will re-use again at that time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems like a good guide, yet to put into practical use!!, 20 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Rough Guide to the Italian Lakes (Paperback)
Easy to read/understand and covers the areas I'm interested. I have yet to put it to practical use so hope it does the job when go!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 5 May 2014
This review is from: The Rough Guide to the Italian Lakes (Paperback)
Very informative. Excellent photos and maps.Will be first thing in my travel bag. Gives a good overview of the area.

4.0 out of 5 stars Readable, good balance of text and picture, 22 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Rough Guide to the Italian Lakes (Paperback)
Well laid out. Covers a wide area of Northern Italy.
Hope it will prove to be accurate on our forthcoming trip.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent guidebook, 17 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Rough Guide to the Italian Lakes (Paperback)
I gave this 5 stars because it's a great book. I borrowed it from our local library but soon realised that I need to buy it because of the detailed info. Well worth it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Rough Guide to the Italian Lakes
The Rough Guide to the Italian Lakes by Matthew Teller (Paperback - 2 April 2012)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available