4.0 out of 5 stars All we needed for a great holiday
Published on 4 May 2011 by Sofia

3.0 out of 5 stars Another Rough Guide thats hard to get along with
My wife and I always discuss whether LP is better than RG and this book made me make up my mind - Lonely Planet is better!

I am tired of using a guide which insists on using hand drawn maps rather than an actual map of the places you want to visit (as LP does). It just makes navigating in a new place very hard (and potentially dangerous).

On numerous...
Published on 24 Jan 2011 by flee

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars All we needed for a great holiday, 4 May 2011
Sofia (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
I think you are often either a Lonely Planet person or a Rough Guide person and I definitely fall into the latter camp. That said, even I was wary of taking just this little book for our holiday rather than a more complete guide to South Africa. I needn't have worried. This had everything we needed; clearly and concisely spelt out, with the cafe and restaurant guide being particularly up to date and helpful.

It's obviously hard with a city, such as Cape Town to have everything in the order you might like, but the order here worked fine for us. We also found Cape Town much easier to navigate than we had envisaged and the RG remained our only map. Where the book was particularly good however, was in its coverage of the surrounding area. The Winelands and Garden Route are beautiful and you could easily be overwhelmed and not really know how best to spend your time, but we found the RG informative and appropriately helpful in spelling out what was worth a visit and what not.

My only suggestion would be that it could benefit from a few more photos since we were completely unprepared for how beautiful the area is. Had I seen photos before I would have been much more enthusiastic about going! So, I'd recommend a trip and if you're going, this neat little book - packed with information, but small enough to be squirrelled away when you want to be discreet - is all you need.

3.0 out of 5 stars Another Rough Guide thats hard to get along with, 24 Jan 2011

On numerous occasions in this book, they would mention something, then fail to put it on the map and fail to even show the street it was on, on the map - how is that "guiding" you?

This guide also has an annoying way of sectioning the book by area (standard for any guide), but then collating all the accomodation and restaurants/bars in a separate section at the back of the book - so you end up having to cross reference all the time.

Anyway, to summerise - this "guide" will leave you feeling frustrated.

3.0 out of 5 stars Below par for Rough Guides, 17 Aug 2012
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Cape Town, The Winelands & The Garden Route (Paperback)
The Rough Guide to Cape Town, The Winelands & The Garden Route
I am admirer of Rough Guides: they are usually my first choice when planning a trip to a new place. This one turned out to be something of a disappointment. The author is excellent. He clearly knows his subject, writes engagingly and his comprehensive text does not gloss over some of Cape Town's problems.
The problem is the maps. Those that are dotted through the book sometimes do not correspond to the surrounding text, so are difficult to find when you want to go back to them. There is a bigger issue. Rough Guides' recommendations for accommodation and places to eat include a map reference that refer to a series of numbered maps (here at the back of the book) which show the locations of these recommended places. I've always found this feature very useful. Here, many of the reviews (including some starred by the author) have no map references! You are left having to peer at the maps to try to find the street name - even then, some of the streets are very long so you don't really know where the place is!
This brings me to my final issue. The book appears to have been photographically reduced so that some of the text (that set in lighter grey type or on a grey background, and names on maps) is hard to read.
I'll keep this book for the text, but for a practical guide I'll have to look elsewhere. The editors need to do some work on this book for the next edition. Three-star rating because of the text, but a disappointment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful, 24 Dec 2012
T. Hitchin (UK) - See all my reviews
Pretty comprehensive, could feature more information on potential stops enroute from Cape Town to PE. But worth buying if you're doing the tourist run.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful background, 11 May 2011
Good general guide. Prices have gone up quite a lot since this edition was published so be prepared to dig deeper in your pockets.

4.0 out of 5 stars Top Travel Guide, 26 Nov 2013
This is the first time we have tried Rough Guide and we were definitely impressed, informative and useful, will definitely use them again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good over all guide., 8 Sep 2013
Very informative but wish that the sections on Winelands and Garden Route were larger as there is already a separate guide to Cape Town. But I suppose having a single guide to tote around could be an advantage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 11 Mar 2012
Good, funny and recommended book. I really liked it. Perfect little partner for your Cape town travel. Lacks loads of pictures but concentrates on informative and useful text.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Guide to CAPE TOWN and the WINE AND GARDEN ROUTES, 7 Dec 2011
Good maps, concise information on all areas in this beautiful part of South Africa.
Restaurants and hotel information is clearly set out.
A must for your holiday.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helped us have an amazing trip, 27 Sep 2011
Alan R (Chelmsford, Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
We found this guide to be really useful, easy to navigate around and contained a good amount of information. This certainly helped us have the holiday of a lifetime as we drove from Cape Town along to just north of Port Elizabeth. Look no further than this for a great guide of this part of South Africa. Also being specific, there is no need to carry a huge book which covers the whole of South Africa. That said, if you are travelling more widely you may want to consider this point.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Rough Guide to Cape Town, The Winelands & The Garden Route
The Rough Guide to Cape Town, The Winelands & The Garden Route by Barbara McCrea (Paperback - 19 Jan 2012)