Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 April 2000
Up to date and a mine of really useful information which other guides seem to miss - finds the small, out of the way places which make this fantastic country so vibrant. Whether you want Sweden's cities, villages, islands or the huge mass of countryside inbetween, this guide is exceptionally well balanced and a good read in itself.
Simon Lethbridge (Harrogate, Yorkshire)
on 24 March 2015
I have been planning a hiking trip to Kungsleden in Sweden for quite some time now and bought this book just out of frustration at the lack of detailed published sources on the areas I was planning to visit. In the end it was a case of some information is better than none at all. So I have been incredibly surprised by how much useful information I have acquired from it. It has some simple maps, which although they will never substitute for a detailed hiking map, have been great for putting into context the locations I plan on visiting and the distances that will be covered.

The practical information is what has made this book a winner. Just simple things like how to get from the airport to the train station, (where the train station is relative to the airport, for that matter!), rather than leaving me thinking I'll just turn up and hope for the best. And as I have a few spare days while up in Kiruna, its given some interesting suggestions as to what to do with them.

The guide is very readable; I like the balance of text and pictures/ diagrams (I really can't stand travel guides which are just pages and pages of writing, all in incredibly tiny font!). Its making me plan another trip to Sweden already-the Gothenburg Archipelago definitely needs exploring-and I haven't even done my first one yet!
on 26 May 2014
As a regular and generally satisfied user of Rough Guides I find this volume poor. Not only has the format changed but the content is really lightweight in terms of detail, architecture and historical context. There is also a palpable left wing bias that seems to permeate the book.
This volume would be fine as a backpackers superficial guide but for tourists looking for more depth alternatives will be required.
on 7 September 2000
This book is thoroughly well researched and written. It avoids all of the traditional cliches and really gets to the heart of the country. I would recommend this book to anyone wanting to travel to Sweden.
on 10 July 2010
For my needs this book had too little detail. I was cycling from Gothenburg to Stockholm over a period of 10 days. When I came across a town or locality in the book I found the information of little help to me. I found the information centres of more help. I also disagreed with the negative opinion of the authors, towards Lidköping when I really found the town one of the most delightful I came across. Where as Mariestad was much less enjoyable and was rated highly by the authors. I guess it is a matter of opinion. I needed more specific information regarding camping and hostels. The book was centred more on towns and cities and I came across some beautiful nature reserves and parks that were well worth mentioning and not in the book. Pity there are no books on cycling in Sweden, I could have done with a specific guide.
on 31 August 2015
The info is good - I bought this because it had better info about the Kungsleden hiking trial in Lappland than Lonely Planet. However this has not been revised since 2012 and all the prices are way out therefore useless for budgetting your trip. E.G. airport bus at Kiruna is listed at 45 SK it is in fact now 100 SK double the price. The same with prices at Kebenakaise Mountain station and other hostels. So good for reference but not for pricing. Rough Guide need to update this.
on 1 April 2013
Not a bad little book this. Easy to read, well segregated into geographical areas and tips that are very useful.
on 7 August 2000
An excellent guidebook. Detailed and informative, it's well worth having for the chapter on Stockholm alone.
on 30 March 2013
Bought to replace a very old 90's version since I am planning to spend some time in Sweden again this summer. An excellent book, very informative and up to date! I highly recommend this book for people planning to visit Sweden, especially if they are avoiding the cities and exploring the towns and countryside Sweden has to offer!
on 1 July 2013
Just got back from a bit of a tour of Sweden (although it would take years to do that country justice). This book was with me at all times and I found it commendably accurate and helpful. It's even an entertaining and sometimes laugh-out-loud funny read. Recommended...