Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 August 2013
This 2013 edition of Cyprus guide is twice as thick as the previous edition - so it's easier to carry around, maps are in colour, and though the text seems smaller in size, it is easy to read and the material seems well organized. There definitely are much fewer recommendations regarding accommodation and eating out compared to the previous edition - although still sufficient for a 1-2 week visitor to Cyprus. However, I would not recommend using this book for walking, as there are factual mistakes that could affect one's leasure time quite a lot. Just one example: one of the most famous Cyprus' nature trails, Kalidonia trail in the Troodos mountains leading 2km up the river valley to a waterfall, is incorrectly marked on the map and indicates another trail, Pouziaris, which is 9km long and quite challenging, and does not pass by the waterfall at all.. Or a Mycenaean settlement, Maa -Palaiokastro in Coral Bay is spelled on the map as Paa - which might lead to some confusion as well. Mistakes like that were spotted just by randomly opening the book, so I can imagine there might be quite a few more inside!
on 3 September 2013
I already had the previous edition of the Rough Guide to Cyprus from 2009 or thereabouts, as well as the Eyewitness Guide, and I thought I'd buy the 2013 edition of the Rough Guide to embellish the information I'd already got, given how quickly things are changing in Cyprus, particularly in the North.
I was therefore particularly disappointed to find that the section of the book relating to North Cyprus had been truncated from three chapters to one with little new information and briefer descriptions of the places featured - our neighbour at the featured "Gardens of Irini" in Bellapais was less than impressed at the new brevity of her entry! The sections on the south did contain some useful updates, pertinently for us on the regeneration of Nicosia and the Laiki Geitonia district.
However, to understand and appreciate modern Cyprus, one must understand the recent history and how we got to where we are today and for that, the 2013 guide fails utterly beside the previous edition in terms of historical contexts.
I tend to "refresh" my rough guides every 4 years or so and hope this isn't the beginning of a new trend; still streets ahead of other guides in my view but this edition is a backward step.
on 29 June 2013
Good information, easy to read. Need further book to get more details on places to visit.
Would have liked map to have gone with book.
Felt lots on north Cyprus which we did not visit as had hired car and not insured to drive there.

Would have liked suggested day trips.
on 31 May 2015
An avid e-reader convert I tried e- guides last year and really struggled to get the information from the e-travel guide as easily as actually having the book/map there in my hand, so I went back to a good, old fashioned paperback book for my next trip! I have used Rough Guides before and always found them to be just the right level of information. Not as detailed or 'off the beaten track' as Lonely Planet, not as basic as others. I was a little bit disappointed with this particular guide as it's about half the size of previous Rough Guides I've had, and is fairly minimal on a lot of information. It has all the basics and information for the main resorts but the place/area where I am staying isn't even mentioned. I still got some ideas on what to visit and spend my time on, when not lounging by the pool, so all is not lost. And it will be a lot lighter in my luggage!
on 8 November 2015
I bought this just before we headed to Cyprus for a week in October and found this book really useful and very up to date. There was good information about local history that was interesting and helped us get the most out of our holiday. Would recommend this to anyone hoping to do a bit more on their holiday than sit by the pool!
on 22 April 2014
This was excellent,quite up to date with good maps and illustrations,
Well written with good directions and recommendations.Also had fair ammount
of info.on North Cyprus which is not always the case.
For any 1st timer to Cyprus.
This 280-page book - the 1st (print) edition of June 2013 - is an interesting and readable (the two are not always found together) guide to attractions of the Mediterranean island of Cyprus.

Unlike many guides, this is not a glossy booklet dotted with colourful photographs to make it look superficially attractive, but a (literally) rough guide in terms of comparative paper finishes, but well-designed and presented, with readable text, useful maps, and (well-chosen) photographs only where space allows. The excellent design and layout means that you don’t need unnecessary spot illustrations to break up column after column of small-printed data.

The Contents are
P004: Introduction (Where to go, when to go, what to see, etc.)
P026: Basics (travel, transport, accommodation, food & drink, activities, and other important touristy stuff, such as “culture & etiquette”)

P041: The Guide
This contains 6 chapters on the various regions of the island:
P042: Larnaka and around
P080: Lemesos and around
P108: Pafos and around
P144: The Troodos Mountains
P168: Lefkosia (South Nicosia)
P198: North Cyprus

P248: Contexts (articles on history, etc.)
P265: Languages
P271: Index
on 2 January 2015
Short up-to-date guide (only used in southern Cyprus). Made the six days we spent there much more interesting than the stay would otherwise have been. I would have liked more on the island's wildlife and geology, but for a short guide it was fine.
on 9 June 2016
A real disappointment. Compared to previous editions, this one seemed to be designed for those holidaying in the South. The North - which I visit - was good on ancient sites but somewhat cursory, to say the least, on hotel and restaurant updates, concentrating almost exclusively on central locations. The background to Cyprus was truncated, compared to the previous editions.
on 20 March 2015
I was able to find out a lot of relevant useful solid information about many aspects of Cyprus. My only complaint is some of the typeface was very pale which made it hard to read; also small font.