5.0 out of 5 stars Loving the new colour format, 12 Jun 2012
This review is from: The Rough Guide to London (Paperback)
I'm a big Rough Guide fan it must be said - for me, the guidebooks have more content, are more logically displayed, and I love the contexts section at the back when you want to delve a little deeper in the history and culture of a place on the plane or train journey over there.

I gave the new Rough Guide a whirl on a few day trips into London. The addition of colour pages throughout makes a real difference, especially to the maps of streets and places of interest. The colour coded chapter tabs make it easy to find the relevant pages quickly when you're out and about - big thumbs up for that.

There's still all the same, highly detailed, straight-talking content that I love with Rough Guides, but the pages really come to life with the new format. It takes a bit of getting used to flicking through to the back section to find recommendations on places to eat, especially when trying to combine this with the easy to spot colour codings on the map pages to find an eatery near to you when you are out and about.

But nevertheless, the main thing is that Rough Guides have built on their core concept of expert content and made it even more beautiful without carrying extra bulk - all the information is there when you need it, easy to find, accurate, honest and what you need to see the real London.

My only disappointment is a few of the prices listed are already out of date - but hey, that's London for you, and there's always the internet for that extra bit of research if you want to budget to the penny.

Don't buy this if you are expecting Dorling Kindersley Eyewitness glossy photos of all the pretty places to see.

Do buy this if you want a light by weight and heavy by content guidebook to all of London, not just the main sights.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the new format!, 7 Jun 2012
This review is from: The Rough Guide to London (Paperback)
I am a fairly new convert to Rough Guides. I bought my first guide last year (Paris) and I thought it was great. Well researched and it flagged up many interesting places outside of the obvious ones to visit.

The London guide is well researched and provides great coverage of the city. The guide is grouped by neighbourhoods but also by north, south, east and west attractions.

I love this new all colour format. The layout is easier on the eye to read and I like the addition of more pictures. There was a complaint in a review on the new Paris guide that the pictures weren't labelled but they may not have realised that the labels are on the opposite page at the very bottom. All pictures in this guide are labelled.

With all that said the maps are the best part of the new format. A tube map of central London is also located at the back. Now I hope they quickly update all guides in this new format. The only fault I can find is not having a small section on day trips out of the city. Not sure if the old guide included this but it would be nice to have.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE ROUGH GUIDE TO LONDON - AND ANOTHER GOOD BIT OF WORK BY ROUGH GUIDE, 20 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Rough Guide to London (Paperback)
I have to say we are great fans of "The Rough Guide" travel books. We have only looked into this book but I always find that the writers for the "Rough Guide" give great tips, and ideas which if you pick up on are extremely helpful. Even if you have lived in London like me, you wont have seen everything or indeed know about good new restaurants etc. London is a big place and I recommend that if you are going there, buy this book. Its great and you will be pleased with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 4 April 2013
K. Moore (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Rough Guide to London (Paperback)
It's a long time since I worked in London. This guide is great because it has everything in it and even for the areas I thought I knew, has interesting information that I would not have been aware of otherwise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just right, 14 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Rough Guide to London (Paperback)
I had already browed a friend's previous edition guide o I knew what to expect. The guide lived up to my expectations t

The Rough Guide to London
The Rough Guide to London by Rob Humphreys (Paperback - 19 Jan 2012)