4.0 out of 5 stars RELIABLE IF UNINSPIRED
Published 20 months ago by Jim Brooks

3.0 out of 5 stars Unable to read the maps on a Kindle
The guide is fine, but having downloaded it to my Kindle, I found it very irritating not to be able to read the maps, which really is a major part of any guide. Probably fine as a hardback, but no use on the Kindle.
Published 8 months ago by P. Martin

4.0 out of 5 stars RELIABLE IF UNINSPIRED, 12 Nov 2012
Jim Brooks (Aberdeen, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
You could do a lot worse than the Rough Guide to New York City as an introduction to the city that never sleeps. Basic navigation is well handled. The city is split into regions, each with a reasonably-sized map and there's a good subway map, large enough to differentiate between single stops and interchanges, which I found a great help in getting to grips with the subway system.

Each region of the city starts with a summing up of its character followed by a map and pretty detailed information on points of interest. For restaurants, bars, night life, etc you would have to refer to the sections on each nearer the end of the book, and as each category is also divided into the same regions it's not too much of a problem to flick between the two. By and large, I found the guide easy to follow, very informative and I didn't pick up on any errors or bad advice. The book strikes a good balance between being both concise and informative even if the prose is short on imagination. In short, good value for money.

Reservations? The downside of their containing so much information is that the guides are a little bulky and quite heavy, so they spend too much time in the hotel room rather than with the traveler. The page numbers would benefit from being in a bolder typeface and, like too many travel guides, it's quite hard to track down the all-important date of publication (in this case at the back of the book, before the index.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable, informative travel guide.......and now it's in colour!, 22 July 2012
lovemurakami "tooty2" (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having visited New York and used a variety of guide books I was interested to see what the colour version in the Rough Guide series would be like having used the standard version of the guide book on previous trips. I have to say I am really impressed! So what's different, I hear you say......

The layout for the guide remains similar to the older versions. It is cram packed full of information which will give the first time traveller to New York confidence in where to visit, stay and play! However, it is also great for visitors who have been to New York before and are looking for something a little bit different to fill their itinerary.

Starting with the top 18 things to do whilst visiting the city, it moves on to the basics eg how to get there, travelling in the city, health care, consulate info and money. It moves on to Manhattan itself and breaks this down into its various districts, giving you directions, opening times and background information on the places you wish to visit. Chapters are given over to major tourist attractions such as The Metropolitan Museum of Art and Central Park. It then moves on to the surrounding bouroughs of New York giving plenty of information on what to do in The Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island.

The remainder of the book deals with accomodation and covers a wide assortment of hotels (listing cost as well). There are chapters on eating in cafes/bakeries, restaurants, drinking establishments, nightlife, performing arts and film, gay New York, galleries, shopping, outdoor/sports activities, parades/festival and taking kids to New York. Finally there are chapters on cultural aspects surrounding New York with a great list of authors who write about the Big Apple.

All of the above you would get in your standard Rough Guide however where this guide shines is the fact that you now have colour images throughout to inspire you to visit areas you may not have thought of and of course there are over 50 maps throughout the guide all in glorious colour and they are very easy to read.

One final point a previous reviewer suggests the info contained is incorrect, however Curry Row is between 1st and 2nd, but there is also Curry Hill which is over by Lexington. So as far as this reviewer can see the information contained is great! So to round up, I have to say the all colour Rough Guide is a fabulous guide to take away, (in the past I have taken a rough guide and another colour guide, whereas now one will suffice).

4.0 out of 5 stars Rough Guide to NYC updated edition, 19 Mar 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I like the Rough Guides City series. I already had a Rough Guide to NYC and I took it with me on my trip last year. The edition I had was the 12th from January 2011 so it was a little out of date when I travelled. I'm glad to have this new edition from January 2013 to help plan my next trip and take with me.

What's new/different in this edition:
The text is more or less the same from one edition to the next, though I guess things that need to be updated have been, and some of the headings have been changed, for example instead of saying "Some History" it now says "Brief History". The maps are definitely better and bigger than the previous edition - not that the maps were bad before but these are just a bit clearer and bigger. The start of each new chapter now comes with a colour photo at the top and it would seem that every photo in the book is now in colour (unless I missed some) and in the previous edition most were black and white. There are actually less pages in the new edition - 443 pages + maps at the back v 480 pages + maps at the back. The colour sections of New York Architecture and Ethic New York have been removed from the new edition and integrated into the overall information section.

The photos in the book though now in colour are matt - glossy would be nice but I appreciate that this would have made the book heavier for travelling - and some of them are quite dark which is a pity - see the photo of the Flatiron Building on page 117 which does not do this beautiful building justice. Still I didn't get it for the photos; the information and the maps are the most important stuff in it and for that I give it 4/5 and will be using it for my next NYC trip.

3.0 out of 5 stars Unable to read the maps on a Kindle, 21 Nov 2013
P. Martin (London) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good guide, 7 Mar 2013
Gemma "Chocolatebox" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Used this on my third trip to New York, and learnt some great new things from it. It was also nice to flick through and read. The maps are really handy. The subway map could have been better, it would have been easier if they used the actual subway map as the 'simplified' version it uses is a bit confusing when nyou're not used to it.

Really liked the breakdown of areas, especially when looking for bars or restaurants in certain areas. Some of the information was off, the 'suggested' admission price to the Met was incorrect by $5. This often happens though with guide books.

Highly recommend this for a first time or regular visit to NYC.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good basic guide., 15 Aug 2012
Flickering Ember "I need a break and I wanna ... (Once Upon A Long Ago.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I previously consulted the Frommer's guide when planning a trip to the Big Apple and I preferred it to this new offering. The pictures in this book don't seem to be that recent, and are also not of the highest quality - it would seem that they might have been poorly edited.

The maps inside are helpful, and of course the information provided is good for first time visitors because it contains all the basics. The accommmodation guide is definitely helpful. I would have liked a bit more information on more off the beaten track things to see and do and places to eat as I like to try and do what the locals do and also avoid the mad busy eateries if I can.

Not a bad book, but I do think it could be better.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a good guide, 24 July 2012
Sussman "Sussman" (London CA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These guides in general are best for travellers who wish to explore `off the beaten track'.
This Rough Guide to New York City does a fairly good job of covering New York City's history and landmarks; there is solid coverage beyond Manhattan and most of the major tourist attractions. There are maps at the rear of the book that cover Manhattan thoroughly, as well as Brooklyn, and there are also maps that cover individual sections on Queens, Staten Island, and the Bronx. There is good advice on trips of various lengths that can be done, depending on your time frame, a good section on restaurants and other travel in and around NY City.

I might add that much of the content in this edition is available on line. I hate to sound repetitive but it is worth considering an e-book version for a handheld device etc.
The less positive aspect of this book, if you are traveling by car, you will not find much information about driving in New York in this Rough Guide. The type face can seem tad on the small side.

This then is an informative guide that is broken down into useful sections - from the basics such as how to get there, to a full range sights to be seen and the broad spectrum of accommodation is on offer.

4.0 out of 5 stars These guides go out of date so quick!, 17 Oct 2012
Mr. G. Bridgeman-clarke "Graham BC" (Rayleigh, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I tarvel to USA a fair bit and have been to New York eight times over the last 25 years. I know it fairly well but then again, I don't know it that well. I usually get a guide book and walk the streets. lets be honest you can't see the city by Metro and a guided bus is a good way around but if you are like me you forget what you have seen or where you have been and never have the time to go back to see the real stuff which interested you.

Over the decades I have seen the areas where Kojak was filmed, Chinatown and the freeway which was closed to the traffic but not to the pedestrian and you could walk it. Its gone now but the Time Out Guide I had in the late 1970's told me about it and I do think up-to-date guides should include the quirky with the usual recommended sights. The High Line is in there in this instance and worth a visit - a rejuvenated old railway line.

Maybe I am being unreasonable but in my eyes this guide book lacks something. Yes it has the regular stuff in here but it misses some must sees. such as, well for example the large cemeteries in and around New York are majestic and works of Art. Its strange to me that the Rough Guide names what seems like hundreds of bars and cafes (and eating in New York is an experience) but not one of the several cemeteries.

Another thing I do like about the book is that it does recommend the use of Brooklyn as a base and "dipping" into Manhatten. Manhatten is a rush and everyone travels at 100 miles an hour. You order sandwiches at the speed of light and the street sellers of the bagels can be rude. Brooklyn is lower rise, more sedate and slower and the book does reflect this. This is a good thing. Hotels can (not always) be cheaper her and you can great a great view of the Manhatten sky line, the Hudson and the Brooklyn Bridge from her. The book starts with Manhatten and covers the five boroughs which make up New York. Can't really argue with that as Manhatten is the heart. But the book does delve into the other surrounding areas to Manhatten being Staten Island (though of all the boroughs this may need the shortest vista, Brooklyn, Queens, and the Bronx (where Harlem is worth a vosit as is the Yankees Stadium.

The Rough Guide is ok but I would have liked better walking itineraries. there are some but they refer to pages in the book. The 18 things not to miss are very missable if you have already been to New York and its the same old same old venues all the guides promote and the guide buses take you too. Shame there is no "alternative 18 places you should visit. I saw a Guide to Rome recently which did that and I managed to see catacombs and a power station full of art which wasn't mentioned elsewhere and which was so underpopulated but fantastic to be a real find. I am sure New York can boast as much as Rome can.

One word of warning. unlike the UK photography is not allowed in certain areas. ie Central Station, Guggenheim Museum and I am not just talking about the exhibits in the later. I was told to refrain from taking any images of the building!!. Some Museums allow photography, but not flash and low and behold if you try to cary a rucksack or largish bag around some attractions. The guide doesn't cover this and I have had a merry ten minutes here and there arguing for the right to carry my small rucksack and take images.

Tempted to do a three star rating but the book has a lot going for it for the first time traveller.

5.0 out of 5 stars and on less visited places such as in Brooklyn was great, and thanks to this book I discovered some ..., 16 July 2014
This review is from: The Rough Guide to New York City (Paperback)
I had already been to NY a couple of times when I bought this book, so I can't tell much of its description of the main Manhattan sites, but the information on restaurants, bars, music venues, and on less visited places such as in Brooklyn was great, and thanks to this book I discovered some great spots that became some of the best momories of my the trip.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for travelling in and around New York City, 22 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Rough Guide to New York City (Paperback)
Great book and really helpful with maps and where to eat and of course where to visit. I would recommend as it was very helpful to me while on holiday.

The Rough Guide to New York City
The Rough Guide to New York City by Martin Dunford (Paperback - 19 Jan 2012)
11.08