5.0 out of 5 stars A great update
Published on 1 Jun 2012 by keith319

3.0 out of 5 stars 2012 edition (hardcopy): Dumbed down. Less content.
What I liked about the 2009 edition (and preferred to the Lonely Planet) was its verbose and detailed advice. However, the Rough Guide has been given a major makeover for the 2012 edition and sadly, style has won over content.

Published 16 months ago by Andy

3.0 out of 5 stars 2012 edition (hardcopy): Dumbed down. Less content., 10 July 2013
Andy (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Rough Guide to the Greek Islands: 0 (Paperback)

The island maps are slightly prettier (the sea is now blue rather than grey) and the layout is now in more bite-sized chunks (presumably to make things easier for those of us who are hard of reading!).

However, a lot of content has been jettisoned in the process. Indeed the 2012 edition is now over 110 pages shorter than its 2009 predecessor. Island descriptions have been abridged. For example, gone are the inland villages of Andros and, sorry to say, southwestern Serifos is no more.

The Rough Guide is probably still worth having though, but should have been much more detailed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great update, 1 Jun 2012
This review is from: The Rough Guide to the Greek Islands: 0 (Paperback)
Having dug out my old Rough Guide to the Greek Islands I realised it was time to get hold of the updated version ahead of our forthcoming family holiday. I am so pleased I did as these books just get better and better. The descriptions are so informative and the photo's are stunning. We cannot wait to go now having read all about where we are staying, where we are planning to go on day trips and where we intend to chill out over dinner each night. I really can't imagine going on a trip without one of these trusted guides.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be better, 13 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Rough Guide to the Greek Islands: 0 (Paperback)
I use Rough Guides for islands where its hard to find any stand alone guidebooks however their lack of detail can be frustrating and the out of date hotel and taverna recommendations are pointless as things change too frequently, tavernas change hands etc. The pricing ranking is pointless as you have nothing to base it on, just because a Rough Guide says that a meal is £ or ££ - how are you meant to bench mark that? I would also never trust them for island hoping ferry info as again you need up to date info.

I find that the Rough Guide is ok for finding the obviously places but actually if what you are after is a 'rough' guide to off the main track places its next to useless. No real tips on beaches that only locals go to for instance. Best thing to do is if you are hiring a car, buy the most detailed road map you can and just explore

3.0 out of 5 stars not as good as other guides, 22 Oct 2013
There are many other guides on the market that are less inclined to hoist there own opinions on the reader

4.0 out of 5 stars Greek islands, 8 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Rough Guide to the Greek Islands: 0 (Paperback)
Excellent. But short on town plans but will find this book very useful. Well put together with good visuals clearly shown

3.0 out of 5 stars Missing a few islands, 10 Sep 2013
C. Haynes (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Rough Guide to the Greek Islands: 0 (Paperback)
It's okay. It's missing a few islands, most notably the one I'm going on holiday to in a fortnight... I'd suggest buying a guide book for the actual place you're going instead of this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really useful!, 24 May 2013
Judith (Oxford, England) - See all my reviews
As useful as ever; full of information bothy practical and interesting. Particularly good to be able to get it on Kindle.

2.0 out of 5 stars OK BUT NOT AS GOOD AS OTHERS, 8 April 2013
If only the Greek Island Hopping Guide was available on Kindle it would knock this book into touch. It is an average guide and lacks detail needed for an independent traveller.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rough Guide to the Greek Islands, 10 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Rough Guide to the Greek Islands: 0 (Paperback)
The book arrived within 2 days of ordering. We were very pleased with the price and the service. Have been studying nit already.

2.0 out of 5 stars not as good as the paper version, 12 Dec 2012
This is the first time I have used a kindle version of a Lonely Planet guide book. I was rather disapointed.
1) the maps are too small to read
2) it is not that easy to navigate without an index
3) It seemed to lack information
I would have preferred to purchase a guide book to the group of islands I was visiting...not all the islands in one book

The Rough Guide to the Greek Islands: 0
The Rough Guide to the Greek Islands: 0 by Greg Ward (Paperback - 1 May 2012)