3.9 out of 5 stars1,080
Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 716 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on 18 March 2007
I have loads of cookbooks. This is the one I use most often.

The first 30 pages are the basics such as how to freeze, how to prepare, how to flavour, spices and general food safety.

The rest of the book (more than 500 pages) are the recipes. Each page generally has 2 recipes (including picture) so there's a lot here to try.

The best feature of the book is at the start of each chapter. There is a pictorial index of the recipes. This is split into "time taken to cook" (in 30 minute intervals). There is a small picture of the dish, description, how many it serves, calories per serving and the page number. Simple yet so useful.

Overall this is a superb book and I would recommend it to everyone.
on 27 October 2005
This book covers everything. This was a real lifesaver for a dinner party I gave recently. It gave me ideas for starters and snacks, I prepared tapas. Made the orange passion salad for dessert, was troublesome, but loved by my guests. This is very extensive and covers many types of general cookery. The instructions are clear. Some recipes have ideas for variations and so on. If you are going through it and looking for ideas you will be sure to find something that will fit the bill. I especially like that at the beginning of each section the recipes are grouped on how long they will take to prepare and information on the no. of calories are given under the picture of each dish. Has lots of pictures. Basically it is possible to pick something without too much difficulty.
on 15 March 2006
I am an accomplished cook, but this book is still one of the most used on my shelf! It is good for beginners and the competant cook alike! Full of sensible recipes with easy to follow instructions. I have just bought another two for my eldest children who are both setting up their own homes.
on 8 December 1999
This cookbook was the one that enabled a 30 year old male teacher to become so interested in cooking that he cooks better than he ever expected in his wildest dreams.
To me, cooking is all about combining maximum of flavour and minimum of fuss. This masterpiece by Mary Berry does all that.
She keeps her recipies simple and understandable, uses well judged descriptions of what to do - and her sauces are to die for!!!
Buy this Book - it's the only cookbook you'll really ever rely upon.
Steve Bailey
on 21 December 2012
One of the best no nonsense cookbooks I have in my collection, producing great results every time. A must have for any aspiring cook.
on 24 July 2006
Even though my shelves are groaning with every cookery writer imaginable, from Jamie Oliver, Delia Smith and Evelyn Rose to Sophie Grigson and Nigella Lawson, this is definitely the most read and certainly the most used! Mary Berry's style is totally straight-forward and all her recipes are simple enough for even a novice cook to follow. You know when you've finished making one of her dishes that it will look exactly the same as pictured in the book. I am so loathe to give my daughter my copy that I am today ordering a new copy for her.
on 7 March 2013
love the illustrations - for me that's what makes the difference between a good and a great book. i need to know what something should look like
on 28 February 2005
If you are only going to buy one cook book this is it. It is extremely well laid out, it has great pics, I don't know about you but I cannot cook without them. The recipes are great and a mix of traditional and something a bit different. This is the book I go to first and we have over 100 cook books.
on 30 October 2005
I've been interested in cooking for a few years now and have loads of books. I've seen this lady on TV and have always been impressed the way she makes so called difficult recipes seem easy. This is without doubt the best cook book I have ever bought. It has a bit of everything and I don't think I've found a bad recipe yet. Definately one for the beginner who wants to have a go.
on 16 May 2007
This is one of the recipe books that belongs in the kitchen rather than on the coffee table. That's not to say that it doesn't look good, the photography is appetising. Mary Berry is a fantastic recipe writer and there's a good mixture of classic and modern dishes. I gave this to my mother and my sister immediately went and bought herself a copy.