on 1 September 2009
Having booked a Baltic cruise and made the brave decision to get our own visas and do St Petersburg by ourselves, we decided to purchase this guide to help us get around. I am always impressed by the layout of DK guides and make them my first choice. This guide was helpful as it had the Top Ten things to see. We saw eight of them in our two days of travel there. However, the guide did let us down a little and caused us to waste some time by taking us to the wrong pier to catch the hydrofoil to Peterhof Palace. Not only did the pier not exist, it was some distance from where you actually do catch the hydrofoil outside the front of the Hermitage. Aside from this the guide is very useful!!!!!
on 24 October 2009
This guide was a lifeline for me on a short break to St. Petersburg. There were a few little gems which other books did not list and the images are really wonderful. I highly recommend this was a great purchase and the price was worth it!
We are going to be visiting St. Petersburg soon and bought this book in order to give us some idea of what to expect. I don't think that we could have chosen a better book as there are loads of tips, several very good colour photographs and excellent descriptions on the very best places to visit. It really has given us a good idea of what to look out for and in that sense it is essential.

The price is extremely reasonable and another plus point is that the book is pretty compact and easy to just slip into a jacket pocket or small bag. If you too are thinking of visiting the second capital of Russia then this guide book could just be what you are looking for.

As a PS to this review, we have now visited St Petersburg and this guide was very useful. We were there for two days and had the good fortune to visit Catherine's Palace, The Hermitage Museum and we also did a tour of the city. In all honesty, if you want more in depth information of stand alone places of interest then you may want a bigger guide than this. But if you want a basic idea with a bit of historical background then this is a very good buy and highly recommended. It is also great to look through the guide again even after your visit.
I have a large number of these travel guides. What I like about them is their format - each book gives an overview (rather than lots of detail). It provides a summary of what is on offer. Inside is not just the obvious i.e. the Top 10 sights to see. Also you get things like the Top 10 museums & galleries, Top 10 markets, Top 10 Arts & Crafts, Top 10 events etc. - even the Top 10 things to avoid. That makes them very useful, and a unique approach to travel guides. I use them to decide what to do, and then use another book (or a website) to give me more detail if I need that.

In this book you get things like:
 St Petersburg's Highlights

 Top 10 Children's Attractions
 Top 10 Metro Highlights
 Top 10 Soviet Landmarks
 Top 10 Bridges & Waterways

The book in its physical format is small - just small enough to fit inside a DL envelope (i.e. the standard white envelope, designed to accept a sheet of A4 paper folded twice). It is actually a few centimetres shorter than a DL envelope. This compact size makes it easy to fit into your pocket.

This book can't provide detail - it can provide `the big picture'. I now normally take two travel guides with me - a DK Top 10 one like this and a detailed travel guide, to get the best of both worlds. If you just have a detailed travel guide, you can miss out on things that you wish you had visited.

On a separate issue, I originally bought my Top 10 books in the Kindle format (because I am a Kindle lover) and to my surprise found the Kindle format terribly irritating. It taught me that when using a travel guide, you want to be able to flick quickly through it and jump around easily - that's SO much easier with a physical book. In addition, you want it to be in colour - you can cure that by taking your iPad with you but an iPad is bigger and heavier than this book in its paperback version. You can get round that if you have an iPad mini or a large screen smartphone (neither of which I had when I bought this) but you are still left with the problem of being unable to flick around the book quickly. Travel guides just don't work well in the Kindle format, in my opinion.

You may feel otherwise but that is how I feel. I found the relative awkwardness in flicking around the Kindle book a major handicap. And this is despite the fact that I buy most of my books in Kindle format.

The beauty of these books is that they give you an overview, which means that you end up doing things that you would not have done otherwise.
on 15 March 2013
We've used DK Eyewitness guides previously so when booking our St Petersburg break, this guide had to come with us. As expected it has all the tips and hints always included in DK guides which is why we chose such a reliable product
on 8 April 2013
The guide gives you a good idea / starting point to decide of what to do in St Petersburg. In the process of planning a city break and know exactly what I would like to see now.
on 21 February 2013
Comprehensive, detailed accounts of interesting places to visit within the area.

Tips on what and where to avoid within the city.
on 16 April 2013
good guide and helpful tips
neat size for pocket or handbag- best not to let everyone know you're a tourist!!
good price
on 26 December 2012
Needed this for our first visit to St Petersburg. Lots of clear information. A good size to carry with you.
on 7 September 2013
I visited for 3 days St Petersburg as part of a cruise vacation and this book was just what I needed for background information. However, due to visa restrictions, all my trips were accompanied by a guide so I did not put it fully to the test.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse