5.0 out of 5 stars DK Vienna
Published 16 months ago by Adrian J. White

3.0 out of 5 stars ok book, fantastic map
ok book though I would have loved some more written details about the history of the places. Best thing it came with is the handy laminated city map to pull out. We used that a lot. Nice that it is laminated when it rains, and also that it is in a good size font so it is easy to read.
Published 10 months ago by Loha

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars DK Vienna, 30 Mar 2013
This review is from: DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Vienna (Paperback)
My wife and I have been to Vienna on many occasions, but I regularly update this guide (every few years anyway). As I said for my review of the Austrian Guide - we both love the DK layout, format and style, as well as the very good quality paper and standard of printing. If you are a stranger to Vienna - I can't recommend this book highly enough - it will get you to just about anything you want to see:) I would just recommend the Popup maps as an additional purchase - fold away to a tiny size but incredibly useful. If you are a seasoned visitor, there is always something in this guide that you were unaware of - or had simply forgotten, and will be happily reminded.

The only issue I would take with this edition of the Vienna Guide is that one of the walks that appeared in earlier editions has been left out - the walk down from Kahlenberg to Nussdorf. This is a wonderful walk whatever the season, and I can't think why its been left out this year - definitely a mistake!

5.0 out of 5 stars I really like these travel guides -- I'm "lost" without them!, 24 Jan 2011
I really like these travel guides, for someone on a reasonable budget and interested in cultural and other standard "tourist", including walking, shoppping, eating/drinking out, etc and even business travel.

Generally, I always buy one for the country/city I am going to visit. When I don't have one, I usually regret it as I find I am "lost" without it in terms of planning what to do and how to do it!

They provide interesting and practical facts about sightseeing, using the local public transport or driving, getting to/from airports, eating out, going out, shopping, useful maps of city centres, health and safety tips, some background history, etc.

The translations (and pronunciation guide) of common phrases in the local language are useful but sometimes limited. Lots of colour pictures makes the book more interesting in itself and makes for a nice bookshelf souvenir afterwards.

Another great thing about the series is that the books are always laid out in the same way. So once you start using them, you'll always know what information you can find and where it will be in the book.

A slight drawback is that the books are medium-size and can weigh from 500-800 grams (depending on which city/country the book is for), and the paperback versions always get a bit dog-eared being carried around in my day-pack.

To paraphrase and old credit card ad: "I won't leave home without one of these guide books".

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Guide Book, 12 Jan 2011
S. Topp - See all my reviews
This excellent guide book lives up to the reputation of all DK books for its information, maps, plans and copious photos and illustrations. I would highly recommend it, although in time the information in this edition about hotels and eating places may become dated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just enough information, 21 July 2011
We are visiting Vienna just before Christmas this year and I wanted to do some research before we went. This book is perfect, it is not so large that it is difficult to carry around, but contains all the information you could need. The feature I like best is Vienna area by area which has a 3D effect map for each area with a suggested walking route to see all the sights. I was going to buy a seperate street map but to be honest the one in the book is better than some of the ones that I have seen so I am not going to bother.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tourist necessity, 31 May 2011
If you are visiting Vienna this book is the perfect buy.
All bases are covered in usual DK style.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what we needed, 15 Mar 2012
Replaced Insight Guide with this, and I have to say we were very impressed. Took it with us on 4-day break in Vienna, and used it a lot. Great illustrations, clear maps, useful division of the city into zones. Shows how a well designed guide book still has its place in the digital age.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 25 Aug 2011
After comparing different travel guide about Vienna in a hostel, this book is the best. I am always a fan of the DK eyewitness travel series. The maps in the book are very useful. Nicely coloured and big enough so I don't have to read it with a magnifier.

The beer, coffee, savoury dishes, sausage, Austrian cakes and pastries guide are particularly useful for the Brits. I wouldn't be able to try all the interesting food without it.

This book provides a good insight into the collections of art in museum and palace.

Some argue that the selection of hotels and restaurants are not as detailed as the Lonely Planet. I wonder who does not have internet access and rely solely on books. I am glad that the list is not long in this book, don't have to carry 50 extra pages of useless stuff around.

5.0 out of 5 stars DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Vienna, 9 July 2012
This review is from: DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Vienna (Paperback)
Very useful and precious tips that allowed me to see the top sights in 3 days. The pull-out map was very useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Vienna, 30 Nov 2012
This review is from: DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Vienna (Paperback)
Good, comprehensive guide to Vienna and immediate surrounds. Excellent for planning a city break. Maybe not as much detailed information about individual buildings as Michelin guides (in general - don't know about the Michelin Vienna guide in particular), but certainly good enough. Very good map (tear out) included.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 31 May 2014
This review is from: DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Vienna (Paperback)
Went for the weekend so needed something short, easy to get the highlights, and light enough to carry around. Perfect choice.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Vienna
DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Vienna by Stephen Brook (Paperback - 1 May 2012)
Used & New from: 8.30