on 4 January 2004
As an introduction to Turkey, I feel that this is the best all-round guide available. Not too heavy, visually inspiring and with honest and sensible text. Independant travellers may find Lonely Planet more useful as it is more comprehensive. This guide contains accurate and useful info on all the essential sites to be seen in Turkey.
on 22 September 2009
Nicely presented, and with lots of pictures and visual information. I have used DK Eyewitness Guides before and they are ideal when on a city break. However a book this size cannot hope to do justice to a country the size of Turkey, so the entry for each place that I visited was short and seemed superficial - I was left wanting more. I wish in retrospect that I had bought Lonely Planet or a Rough Guide to Turkey.
on 14 October 2011
Me and my travel buddies were happy with this travel guide as it gives an excellent overview of many of the sights we got to see during our drive throughout Western Turkey. However, it did not cover all sights, and only gave details for certain sights, which is the reason it does not get the top grade.
on 10 May 2009
If you want to travel to Turkey and need information about areas DO NOT buy this guide. Nice photos and lots of them but very limited information about places. More a travel brouchure than a guide. Go for Lonely Planet or the Rough Guide instead and order a brouchure from an upmarket tour operator for the photos.
on 7 October 2009
This is a very handy country guide that you can complement with the cities top 10 guides. You have a great Turkey overview (I've used it for 3 different regions of Turkey!).
Good tips for tourists as well!
on 1 May 2011
The historical information presented in this book is good, and is much more detailed than any of the travel information. I bought this to help me plan a two week trip, and have not been able to glean much of use from it. It has a very small description of each town, but doesn't do much for comparison, suggested itineraries, or other info, and the descriptions themselves are pretty minimalist. As another reviewer stated, I also wish I had purchased a Rough Guide or Lonely Planet, as I think they would ahve been more useful as a general trip planner.
on 10 June 2012
This is the ninth DK Eyewitness Travel Guide we have used on our travels through Europe. They have always been excellent references for the sights in various cities and has been a great planning resource (we use in conjunction with Rick Steves guides). We have Spain, France Belgium, Germany, as well as specific cites like Paris, Vienna, and Prague. All have been very helpful However, the guide for Turkey was so incredibly wrought with mis-information. The maps were completely off and out-dated. The descriptions were not as helpful as other guides. I would not recommend this Turkey edition. Very disappointed.
on 11 October 2010
This guide is great for in depth history etc but it doesn't give enough info on beaches, which resorts are quiet and unspoilt. Most popular resorts are not even in it, so its not a lot of help for package holiday makers!
on 7 September 2012
I looked at several books about Turkey, before purchasing this particular one. I liked the fact that it contained quite a large number of photographs and maps, and it proved to be the ideal purchase for a holiday guidebook.
on 7 October 2013
This guide was well worth the money and it came within two days of ordering. It has been an indispensable part of my holiday support pack and is really informative and useful. Everyone wanted to know what I was reading and how I knew so much about the areas I was visiting .... even the Turkish people were intrigued and they even found out things about their areas that they were not fully aware of! Ottoman Emperors and recent historical facts in abundance .... Where to eat guides .... and even help with the local language. Invaluable and a great buy. Well chuffed with it.