5.0 out of 5 stars Dowling and Kindsley Rome travel Guide
I found the book to be extraordinarly informative, the tips are great with full colour pictures and information to find the best places to view, eat and stay, It also has extremely good maps to follow around rome. a great guide and was well thumbed on my recent visit and my bible for any future visits. Well worth the money.
Published on 22 Sep 2009 by C. Clayton

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but a mistake
My mistake, I meant to get the pocket version, which I have bought since, and which I rate highly. It's obviously got more in than the pocket version, but I would chose something else for my main guide, indeed I like to read 2 or 3 before going, everyone has their own slant.
Published 11 months ago by Medway

5.0 out of 5 stars Dowling and Kindsley Rome travel Guide, 22 Sep 2009
C. Clayton (Italy Rome) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Rome Guide! Visually Stunning!, 31 Oct 2009
uncle barbar (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
I have used many Dorling Kindersley guidebooks and they are all as visually stunning as this.

This one keeps up the excellent standard. If you like interesting history and architecture and decent food then this book is for you.

This volume - exceptional value - is all you will need for your trip to Rome.

So, what's inside? Maps of all the important parts of the city, history of each area, important places to go with addresses and opening times. The travelers needs section gives information on places to stay and eat, shops and markets in the area and the entertainment that's available. I love the drawn "exploded views" of buildings - these are really quite superb!

In fact everything you could want to know and see.

There is just so much to see in Rome I can't possibly mention all of them here - but don't go without seeing the Sistine Chapel, the Colosseum, Trajan's Column, the Forum, the Trevi Fountain... and 101 other sites!

I whole-heartedly recommend this DK book. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars How a guide book should be, 25 Sep 2009
Mrs. Morag Marshall (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This guide book is excellent for visiting the city, gives practical advice for public transport and how to purchase tickets, and for each area of the city gives you ideas for where to stay and where to eat and drink. The guide is user-friendly and with its superb maps you can't go wrong. Our stay in Rome was enhanced by making good choices from the guide book. We only had four days and we used our time well thanks to the clever way the book is set out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent guide, 2 May 2010
We recently spent two weeks in Rome. One week planned and a second week due to the Icelandic volcanic ash! We used this to plan our days out and tell us as much as we wanted to know about all the sights.
The book has some interesting sections in the front about Rome's history from different perspectives, but most of it is an area-by-area guide, with good illustrations highlighting the places of interest (numbered), with some of them starred. All the numbered sights then have further information easily found within the section. As you would expect, some of the bigger attractions, such as St Peter's, The Forum etc. have several pages devoted to them.
There is also a section that describes some suggested walking itineraries, plus a general section of other useful info in the back - we liked the bit on when/where to find street markets.
The only negatives I can think of are that the book is a bit heavy - certainly too big/heavy for a pocket, so I mostly carried it my backpack between stops. Partly because of this and partly because they are on separate pages, the maps in the back aren't much good to use for getting around. I found the perfect combination was the Eyewitness guide plus the excellent Time Out waterproof map.

4.0 out of 5 stars The net impact of the book on my trip was very positive, 14 Sep 2012
Mark Pack (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Rome (Paperback)
The book was been a vital and welcome aid through my recent visit to the city. Overall, it's done the job well. There are some very helpful touches of detail that really smooth a trip, such as letting you know the train ticket machines at the airport are multilingual (and so a much better bet for non-fluent Italian speakers than the ticket office itself). The range of information also caters for people with a wide-range of different holiday preferences: lots of travel information but also nine guided walks around the city, for example.

The production quality is very high. Both the detachable map (a nice touch in itself) and the book, including its spine, have survived plenty of bending back and forth. The flaps at front and back also make it easy to mark places in the book and are nicely dimpled to work even on pages well into the middle of the volume.

Drawbacks? The book is heavy. If you are wanting to travel light, it's noticeable. Inevitably some details get overtaken by changes between printing and a visit. Even so, I was surprised at the number of changes that seem to have occurred in Rome since the 2012 edition was finalised. Also, the suggested walks through Rome are rather scanty on exact route instructions at some points and some information is split between several places, requiring multiple checks to be sure you've found it all.

Even so, the net impact of the book on my trip was very positive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book to take with you, 20 Aug 2012
This review is from: DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Rome (Paperback)
I bought this for a 4 day trip to rome and it was perfect. Before I left, I had earmarked various pages with tabs which made it easier when I was there to plan which part of the city to do each day.
The addition of guided walks in each of the main areas of the city was also a nice touch and other interesting items were found en route and off the beaten track in some cases.

I also bought a pop up map but to be honest the maps in this book were better and bigger in scale. Its such a good quality book (much as you'd expect from the likes of DK) that its a little weighty but worth the buy anyway.

I had been to Rome more than once before albeit a long time ago but I didn't tour it so well until I had this little diamond with me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rome guide book, 20 Mar 2010
P. Carlton (Dorset, uk) - See all my reviews
Excellant guide book - you won't have to purchase official guide books at the vatican, Roman forum/colliseum etc.,this does it all in one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great pictures - good info, 24 Dec 2012
This review is from: DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Rome (Paperback)
I really like the DK guides, they always have excellent illustrations and photos although I would say that in these days of trip advisor less emphasis on hotels and restaurants (which date & change badly anyway) and more on the sights and the less well known aspects of a place would improve these guides.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rome, 28 Mar 2010
I bought this book as I have used Eyewitness guides before and once again I am not disappointed. I look forward to using this when I visit Rome in the summer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great trip assistant, 14 Jan 2010
Very good travel guide, for them who walks through their journey a lot.I found it very useful in the museums and to the hot spots of Rome.

DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Rome
DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Rome by DK (Paperback - 1 Mar 2012)
Used & New from: 3.95