I've travelled a fair amount over the years and have tended to buy guides/information books on the country/regions that I have visited, but some like the Rough Guides or Lonely Planet tend to be lacking in visual appeal. However, the Eyewitness guides are bursting with colour pictures and illustrations, so if you want your information visually as well as written, then this guide of Italy is for you.

It is easy to find the area you want with the thumbnail colour index on the pages, and the 720 pages are packed with photos, cutaways & floorplans of major sights, maps, sights to visit, huge selection of hotels, restaurants etc. There is a lovely 73 page introductory section aptly named "Introducing Italy" which is an enjoyable and interesting read in it's own right, in fact much of this guide makes interesting reading.

My reason for purchasing the guide is that I am visiting Italy for the first time in 20 years later on this year, and after considering a few others which I had viewed in shops, I settled on this 2012 edition as being the best available. It has a sturdy softback and measures approx 22h X 13w X 3d cms and with it's weight, one cannot exactly call it pocket size. However, the presentation, and information is superb in my opinion.

If you are going to spend time in Italy in the near future, then do yourself a favour and get a copy before you go.
on 22 January 2013
I am about to move to Italy and decided to purchase this book for all my Italian travel needs. I have been an avid user of lonely planet and Thompson city spot guides for many years. I love lonely planet however feel that they need more images to inspire my travels - hence buying this one.

If you are very building and art focused on your trips, this will be the guide for you. However I personally like to know where to find the best restaurants, coffee shops, markets and more varied sights. This book has lovely pictures of churches etc but I feel that the information isn't varied enough for me.

There is a restaurant section at the back, however it is pretty boring!!
on 27 January 2013
Went to Italy last year and bought this book to take with us. Well worth it, as we could have missed so many things on our way round if we had not had the information with us.
Excellent!
on 31 December 2012
This was a very useful and much used guide on our holiday this year. The information that Dorling Kindersley provide in their guides is always superb.
on 25 October 2009
I think that this series of DK travel info books are just great for wetting your appetite. There are lots of very good illustrations and many topics are covered. An ideal starting book for further research for the serious traveller and happy traveller alike.
on 8 May 2012
Excellent product. Brilliant photos and maps. Everything I need for my tour. Quite heavy though - goes with the gloss I guess.
on 1 October 2010
As with all this series of guides, the book is very clear and user friendly - it is easy to browse, whereas many guidebooks require full reading and note taking in order to gather the required information. My only complaint is that large sections of the book are dedicated to Florence, Rome, Naples and Venice, and very little space is given to other regions. As there are separate books for the above regions, which I had already purchased prior to visiting them, I now feel I have bought two books on each of those places and still have insufficient information about other parts of Italy. It actually makes me wonder if there is any point in visiting other parts of Italy if there is apparently so little to see! I would be willing to buy books dedicated to the other regions, even if these were more general e.g. Southern Regions (Sicily, Puglia etc), North West Italy (Liguria, etc) and Eastern (Umbria etc).
on 11 October 2012
Concise, with excellent relevant information. Illustrations and maps very good. My favourite travel guide publisher - a cut above the rest.
on 27 October 2013
Eyewitness travel guides are by far the best ones as far as I am concerned. If you want to really explore a place and learn a bit about history, architecture and quirky facts about cities and countries, these guides don't let you down. They have little walking routes to take which take you past lots of interesting places and tell you to look out for really cool things you wouldn't normally spot. They have maps and everything else you'd want with a guide book. Just the tops.
on 17 August 2013
If you are looking for a Lot of information about Italy - This is the guide book for you! I only wanted a lightweight book to travel round with and tell me where to go and what to do but this is the whole shibang. It would be ideal if you are after that but i wasn't - It certainly isn't a reasonable size to travel round with - it weighs a ton!