5.0 out of 5 stars A must for every knitter
Published on 12 Oct 2011 by Carrie Bremmer

I own this book. Whilst it is very good for consulting on tools, materials and techniques, the project patterns contained within pages 272 - 353 are full of mistakes.
Published 20 months ago by Knitty Nora

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for every knitter, 12 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Knitting Book (Hardcover)
I absolutely love this book. It is for everyone from beginner to expert. Even if you consider yourself an expert I can guarantee there will be something in this book that you have never tried before. It covers everything from the basics of how to cast on and do the basic knit and purl stitches,to creating textured knits. Increases and decreases, colourwork, knitting in the round, buttonholes, adding beads and edgings,short rows, gathers, and even mitred squares and spirals. There are some lovely projects in it too. And being a Dorling Kindersley product it is full of fantastic colour photographs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 18 Oct 2011
Ms. M. Elliott "mazzlestar" (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Knitting Book (Hardcover)
This book is far better than I could have hoped for - well-explained and beautifully illustrated with photographs throughout, I've been using it for a day and already learned 10 new ways to cast on that I didn't before! The instructions are clear, the stitch pattern gallery is gorgeous and the information at the beginning about different kinds of yarn and needles are really priceless for someone just starting out.

I haven't tried any of the patterns yet but I've had a quick flick through the selection and they look nicely varied and modern. I really can't praise this book enough, my only issue with it is that it's very heavy and I managed to drop it on my foot, OUCH!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Knitting Book, 19 Dec 2011
This review is from: The Knitting Book (Hardcover)
Full of techniques and extensive stich library with such beautiful photography. It prompts me to tackle some stiches straight away. Althogh it may take a while to digest the whole book for a biginner knitter like myself, it far exceeded my expectation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book!, 21 Dec 2011
Ms. S. C. Davies (York, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Knitting Book (Hardcover)
Best knitting book I have ever read! Even for an experienced knitter there is so much to learn from it. Like other reviewers I was particularly impressed by the photography- which is bright and clear. The only critisism I can think of is that it is hard to curl up in an armchair and knit with it open on your knee being so big, but that doesn't detract from how good the book actually is.

2.0 out of 5 stars "...you'll find everything you need to knit with accuracy..." I think not!, 17 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Knitting Book (Hardcover)

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you've ever needed to know about knitting, 27 Jan 2012
Jill Forrest (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Knitting Book (Hardcover)
I'm a reasonably experienced knitter and have been adapting patterns and developing my own tecniques for years. I found this book really informative and helpful and it will be a perfect reference book for tricky patterns in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible book!, 7 Nov 2011
Cha Cha (Aylesbury, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Knitting Book (Hardcover)
BIG book full of fantastic photos and techniques...and projects! The pictures are very clear! I am very pleased with this book, I showed it to my friend and she now wants her own copy! Absolutely brilliant!

1.0 out of 5 stars Watch Out! Patterns full of mistakes., 25 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Knitting Book (Hardcover)
I thought this was an excellent resource at first but on attempting some of the patterns, I quickly realised it is full of mistakes. There is no way of getting help once you do come up against an error, the publishers aren't interested and didn't even respond when I contacted them to ask who the author of the patterns was.
Just got to the end of the baby blanket only to find I'm knitting the wrong pattern for the edging....another misprint! A very experienced knitter can just undo their work and pick up the correct row but I can't so will have to take it somewhere for help. Very annoying! I do not recommend this book....especially not unless you are an experienced knitter.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book but dont do the knitting projects, 28 Jan 2014
B. A. Perry - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Knitting Book (Hardcover)
The 4 stars are for the book minus the project patterns. I did see the previous reviews about the projects in this book but I borrowed it from the library and was very impressed with the rest of the book. However, I tried the simple baby jacket and yes, even that was littered with mistakes with stitch numbers. I had finished the whole of the back section of the jacket before I had to give up. When I started adding up the stitches as printed they were way out, so could not even contemplate doing the neck shaping. Its a shame that such a great book is spoiled by these ridiculous patterns. And yet someone must have knitted them right in the first place for the pictures.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good stitch gallery but full of pattern errors!, 4 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Knitting Book (Hardcover)
I bought this book specifically for the projects and stitch gallery. The latter is good, but the former is appalling. In all the patterns I tried, it either did not add up or was so vague (especially for beginners) that it was impossible to finish any of them! This is the first time I have issues with patterns. The stitches numbers do not add up, some terms are used which are nowhere else explained in the book, not enough information is supplied (i.e. on which needles do you cast on/ pick stitches), etc.

The Knitting Book
The Knitting Book by Vikki Haffenden (Hardcover - 1 Sep 2011)
17.00