5.0 out of 5 stars Does the Job - very nicely indeed!
Are you here because you are worried about your child's performance in Maths?

Published on 2 May 2011 by Mr. Hm Bennett

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book
Needed some work sheets so has been useful for that arrived in a couple of days of ordering there are better maths books out there but was ok for what I needed
Published 10 months ago by Mo

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the Job - very nicely indeed!, 2 May 2011
Mr. Hm Bennett "howardbennett3" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Maths Made Easy Ages 6-7 Key Stage 1 Beginner (Carol Vorderman's Maths Made Easy) (Paperback)
Are you here because you are worried about your child's performance in Maths?

My wife and I were in this position just a few months ago. Our 7/8 year old daughter was stranded in the bottom set, written off by her teacher and parents evenings left us really, really depressed. Living in an area where EVERY child gets professional after-school tuition didn't help much, either.

Times-tables, reading a clock, multiplication, division, subtraction and all the other basics she should have had in her grasp seemed out of reach.

Though I'm a teacher (Secondary School) my experience was of little use at this level.

We decided to find some resources to help us to help our daughter and spent a lot of time in W H Smith looking through what was there.

These books stood out for us; well designed, attractive, REALLY to the point, good support for parents and nicely progressive. In our opinion, nothing else came close. We expected a tacky 'celeb' tie-in but they are not that at all. We bought this one and a few others.

And our daughter?

In three months we have a child transformed; she's not top-of-the-class yet and I doubt she ever will be. All the skills I listed above are there (plus others) and we can now look forward to the future with optimism; her understanding has increased across the board.

This is as much to do with my wife's sterling efforts; she has worked her socks off over that time but without these books NOTHING could have been achieved. Still some work to do including changing the teacher's view of my daughter but in time, that will be done.

This was the review I gave the previous version of this book - glad to say the new versions are just little more than a cosmetic brush over - this means you get a breezier looking version with the same effective contents.

We've moved onto the older age versions of these books - we're still working as hard together (nothing is easy) but I'm glad to say the other Vorderman maths books are all just as good.

ABSOLUTELY recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book, 29 Dec. 2011
Challenging without being intimidating covers so many aspect of the syllabus would definitely recommend this book to other parents who want to support their child's learning at home.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 13 Dec. 2012
Arrived extremely fast. An excellent excercise for my 6 year old son. Some of the excercises are a little bit too hard for his age so, a bit of assistance is required. He loves the star reward system, which motivates him to do this on daily basis. Definitely recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Maths fun, 11 Mar. 2011
Once again another good maths book from the Carol Voderman series. It was very simple maths but we used it as revision for our son. I like the fact that there was a mix of number based problems and problems that required more reading and written responses (telling the time in particular) as this was useful for a boy who is a reluctant reader but loves maths.

I'd recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Maths Focus, 27 July 2012
Our daughter has just turned six and although she was doing well at maths at school, we recognised that we weren't doing any practical maths at home. Therefore we bought this book as an opportunity to undertake maths problems at home and help her learn about numbers and the relationship and their practical applications ie money, apples etc. This book was a great help, in that she found it interesting and posed the sort of questions to get her thinking about numbers and their usage. Would highly recommend. We have now bought the younger year's book for our son. Also if you answer the questions in pencil, you can reuse the book time and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for learning!, 3 Feb. 2014
They don't do much maths in Year 1 and my son is good at it so we wanted to keep him interested and developing. These were recommended to me by my sister and didn't disappoint. Well worth buying. they also have gold stickers as rewards which eventually form a certificate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 8 Feb. 2012
I. Kjaer (Essex - UK) - See all my reviews
Such a good book.... beats any magazine junk you can get in shops.... My 6 year old loves it and has begged me to get the next one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Revision for Kids, 31 Mar. 2014
K. A. Howat "Kazza64" (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
My son needed some revision from school and these books were just the ticket. Bought the whole set and would recommend them to anyone who needs to consolidate their learning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful tool, 4 April 2013
I've given this 5 stars - I think this is a very good tool in assisting the children in becoming more confident in the classroom. Last term we had parents evening and the kids we "fair to middling". We've just had this term's parents evening and they have both by passed there expected targets. I'm not saying it was all down to the books but I'm sure they have assisted. I have been amazed how much more the kids understand and it's been really nice to see there knowledge grow. We don't do it every day but we do it in short zaps, often. They love the stars and get really motivated by it. Would definatly recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Workbook!, 29 July 2013
I brought this book for my niece who was having a little trouble with her Maths, this made her unhappy, which concerned me. We work through the book together and she is getting better and better. She loves working through it and getting stars for completing pages. This book is exciting and great for kids. She is learning how to tackle Maths and has started to enjoy doing it on her own and impressing us all with her improvement.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›