5.0 out of 5 stars A book for training pruners
As a novice, I've found thi great for letting me in on secrets that it must take years to learn. How to train a climbing rose, to correct a lopsided tree, to stop shrubs getting out of hand to get the most fruit off trees and bushes. I wouldn't have known where to start without it.

Published on 15 May 2007 by Peter

3.0 out of 5 stars Just being picky
Good condition and speedy delivery but different cover to advertised and wanted to collect those with similar covers for a matching collection. Nothing wrong with the book though and very useful
Published 11 months ago by Rachael Bradley

5.0 out of 5 stars A book for training pruners, 15 May 2007
This review is from: RHS Pruning & Training (Paperback)

I think it's worth spending the extra on this, the more complete version, as it has tips on specific species and even varieties: redcurrant, wisteria, acid cherry, magnolia etc etc etc

5.0 out of 5 stars So good it's used by professionals!, 2 Feb 2009
Beaker (Chepstow, Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: RHS Pruning & Training (Paperback)
I have just completed an evening class in 'pruning' and this was the course book used by the tutor, a former head of the city of Bristol Parks & Gardens Dept - how's that for a recommendation!
This is a good sized book with lots of clear diagrams and photos to back up the text. It's clearly laid out and goes from the basics (how plants grow) to the difficult (clematis). You get a lot for your money.
Several of my classmates are also professional gardeners and have a copy for reference purposes. I expect my plants to perform much better in future!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good source of informations, 13 Jun 2010
Mr. F. Nalin (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: RHS Pruning & Training (Paperback)
This book is what I was looking for. I am studying horticulture with the RHS, and definitely willing to improve my knowledge about gardening. Pruning is one aspect of gardening which I always looked at as one of the most important, but a good knowledge before practice is essential. Well, this book is very well done: it gives all the informations one needs, well supported by clear illustrations and pictures. The latter being critical in order to relate to what one can see when actually working. I would strongly recommend this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for the serious gardener, 17 Aug 2011
R. Vernon - See all my reviews
This review is from: RHS Pruning & Training (Paperback)
This is for the 336-page 2006 edition; the 2011 edition has the same number of pages so is presumably the same.

This is a great book for the serious gardener and I would guess for horticulturalists too. A useful introduction to the principles of plant growth and how these govern skilled pruning is followed by comprehensive sections on ornamental trees, ornamental shrubs, tree fruits, soft fruits, climbing plants and finally roses. A very wide range of named plants is covered: I have found only two missing so far from my interest area of fruit : Pyrus pyrifolia the Asian pear now spreading here, and jostaberry the Ribes nigrum x uva-crispa cross also becoming popular.

It's nice to have a book with S.I. units at last - school children have learned these for decades. Dinosaurs need not worry - imperial units follow in brackets. On p. 17 we are advised to dip our tools in a dilute disinfectant recommended for garden use: it would be nice to be given some examples of recommended chemicals.

Pruning can be a complicated business but has much to offer the serious gardener in healthier plants, enhanced appearance and increased productivity. Towards these ends this book provides a great wealth of information and detail supported by abundant, very well chosen and presented illustrations. It well deserves the five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 11 Mar 2010
P. A. Reynolds "The Piwis" (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: RHS Pruning & Training (Paperback)
I bought this book through reccommendation from colleagues and tutors at my hort college course, as a reference book and training guide, and was not disappointed. It is easy to read and follow, and very detailed. Unlike a lot of other subject specific books it is also a good book to just 'flick' through and read. Really pleased I bought it. Thoroughly reccommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pruning made easy!, 10 Jan 2010
This review is from: RHS Pruning & Training (Paperback)
I am presently attending a L2 Horticultural course so bought this book as reference. I recently reviewed the book in preparation for pruning apple trees. I found the vocabulary clear and concise and the illustrations illuminating. I will be pruning apple trees this month so I wait with bated breathe to see if the book has armed me with all the necessary information to succeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a successor to The ABC of Pruning, 9 April 2012
This review is from: RHS Pruning and Training (Hardcover)
Many years ago, as a novice gardener, I purchased a secondhand copy of The ABC of Pruning by W.E. Shewell-Cooper, and it was the best twenty pence I have ever spent. I have referred to it constantly ever since as no other volume came close to its concise, informative, easy-to-follow text.

Well now I have one. This reference from the RHS is a true successor. I have recently planted some more exotic shrubs and climbers in the hope that they will establish themselves in our warming climate. They are all here, and what I particularly like is that the information includes what to do from cradle to grave; how to train it in its young, formative years so that ultimately the plant is a healthy and attractive specimen right up to renovating an aged plant.

Excellent. Although I will still keep my little ABC.

5.0 out of 5 stars RHS PRUNING & TRAiNING by Chrisopher Brickell & David Joyce, 30 Aug 2013
This review is from: RHS Pruning and Training (Hardcover)
Very good photographs & explanations and laid out clearly. Buy this version which is isbn n.o. 978-1-4053-6312-9 DK RHS Pruning & Training as there is a 2013 version which has a yellow cover that is smaller and (imo) less detailed. This book shows how to prune & train plants & shrubs but also covers fruit trees, shrubs including different varieties.

5.0 out of 5 stars great for a novice gardener grade F failed, 16 Dec 2010
adje (Wiltshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: RHS Pruning & Training (Paperback)
We moved to the Wiltshire countryside 3 years ago from a flat in Kensington.
The Head Gardener duly delegated hedge maintenance and heavy-duty shrub pruning to yours truly, along with digging, composting and mowing duties. Once I learned how to do Latin name look-ups, this book has more than earned its keep. The hedge is now being intelligently cut (I hope) rather than being blitz-hacked with a hedge-trimmer. Have learned a lot.
More please. Especially on renovation.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pruning and Training, 30 Mar 2014
This review is from: RHS Pruning and Training (Hardcover)
The book did all that I expected providing useful tips and advice. have followed both and await the results through the season

ARRAY(0xb0c46a44)

RHS Pruning and Training
RHS Pruning and Training by David Joyce (Hardcover - 13 July 2011)
14.99