Format: Hardcover|Change

on 3 June 2011
I bought this book as a present to inspire and encourage my sister to explore the world....then bought another copy for me because this book is such a treat. I particularly like the themed groupings of places to visit and the explanation for each place is good. It should be noted that this is not a guide book (I didn't buy it as such) but makes a fantastic coffee table book which leaves you planning your major holidays for the foreseeable future!
on 3 October 2011
This book is so full of great ideas to visit unusual travel destinations and the illustrations are very inviting. Helpful for planning trips - and for dreaming of holidays to come!
on 24 January 2012
I bought this book for my boyfriend last Christmas, and we spent ages poring over it. It's absolutely stuffed with information. I'd recommend it to anyone who is considering travelling to one of the traditional 'must-see' places, as it gives you a truer picture of what to expect. Clear, well-written, with an accessible layout and gorgeous photographs. Gave me severe wanderlust!
on 2 September 2012
This book is something I was so pleased to buy because it actually covers stuff that you want to see, the trouble with normal guide books is they are all the same and you end up with thousands of others, I like to go to places that are more historic and not so well travelled and this is ideal. The comparison about Avebury and Stonehenge is so brilliant, Avebury is actually believed to be more important and you do get to touch the stones... so this is book is a must to purchase. BUY BUY BUY!!! you will not regret.
on 18 July 2015
I was disappointed I didn't love this book more then I did. The concept is great - but it was just lacking at parts. Some suggestions felt like they were trying too hard and seemed to me much less interesting then the "tourist road" or other locations that could have been used. A lot of the pictures feel very 90s or earl 2000s too, which made this book feel more dated then it actually is. Also makes me wonder if I can fully trust them. The same countries (Italy and France mainly) kept coming up too - at one point I wondered if I should have just bought a Italian tour guide instead.

That said, the information given is quite impressive, and the sheer amount of suggestions means that there is something for everyone somewhere within it's pages. It's a great book for any traveler friends, or even those interested in cultural studies.
on 30 December 2012
some good recommendations but e.g. the front page picture is not some underexplored temple and is on the travel route of a lot of Asia guidebooks since many many years. Or the beach in Perth: packed in summer, not some underdeveloped coastal area.
on 25 January 2014
I am pleased I went ahead and purchased this book after having had a quick flick through a friend's copy and rather than have their copy too long or worse, forget to return, got my own to I can read at my leisure and continue to dream and better still in some instances can say have been there done that! :)
This caught my interest as gives alternatives to 'mainstream' sights. Time and finance can sometimes mean we miss out on something special so having this information can give one a second chance to maybe see something you have always dreamed of seeing without compromising too much.
This book was also in perfect condition and now sits proudly in the front of my book case ... when not being read.
on 15 March 2014
Anyone who travels a lot has seen places that blew you away, places that met your high expectations, and places that really disappointed you. This book compares the traditional "must-see" sights of the world with alternatives that are just as stunning but less known and less crowded, summarising the plusses and minuses of each one so you can decide which site will give you the experience you're really looking for. As Bryson notes, it will also make you aware of so many beautiful places you'd never previously heard of, that you'll dejectedly realise you can't possibly see everything that's worth seeing in one lifetime. But you'll probably make better choices with the time that you have.
on 28 June 2014
A fantastic book. Makes a wonderful present for the person who has everything. It gives great alternatives to the well known sites. For instance, suggests the Avebury ring instead of Stone Henge and this includes sites from all over the world. It is good to read, to browse even if your not a traveller but so useful if you do like to travel.
on 12 October 2015
Love the book which I originally read as a library book.
This re-print is not as good. The colours are very harsh which makes the book less visibly pleasing although the content is just as interesting.