on 13 May 2012
This is without a doubt the best worldwide review of wines available. It is unbiased but not bland and opinionated, in the most rigorously fair way. For the uninitiated it covers the very basics of wine production and can be read as a book and for the expert it is a vital reference.

A brief period of over-pricing is behind it and it should be considered the standard reference.

The only request that I would have is that the green pages of the first and second editions (where the author gave his personal recommendations in each wine region) be reintroduced: they added colour and were greatly appreciated by those who shared the tastes of the author.
on 10 February 2012
The Sotheby's Wine Encyclopedia is a 'must have' for wine lovers. It is very informative, interesting and useful when considering wine purchases. It is also a very good educational read on the subject of wine, vineyards and vintages.
on 30 December 2012
This is a big thick book packed with brilliant useful information. My husband is a wine lover and he loves this book. He keeps disappearing off to read it. I am not such a wine buff but i am also finding it useful and easy to read and understand. Great book
on 16 January 2013
As a wine enthuiast I found this book to be the finest book in my not inconsiderable collection on wines of the world. the only reference book one needs on the wines of the world.
on 16 December 2011
I gave 4 stars to this book, because it is a very good book about wine, it's missing the five stars statut because there is a bit too many lists of wine producers, which I found a bit incomplete, and in some way a bit boring. On top of it all, some analysis are too simplistic and forget about exceptions, the ones that make the rule true maybe, but, still exist.
on 10 January 2013
An excellent guide to wines, updated from the recipients previous edition. Arrived promptly, well packed - nothing further to add
on 13 February 2015
I recommend this book for learning at the Introductory Course at The Master Sommelier .
Full of professional information.
on 25 January 2010
I am not and expert on Wines but for me was very clear and well explained all details about the wines. Also is very helpful because now when I buy a wine I look for the recommended ones. The maps are well done and detailed. Is the "one you must have"

Is a good collection which I recommend to all you.

Is a great Book!!!
on 31 October 2014
A definite "must have" if you are into wine. Start on this and branch out later if you need more info.
on 11 September 2013
For me, as a wine novice, the book gives way too much space to the specific wine regions, especialliy France. I would prefer more information on grapes and vintages, to learn the very basics. In such a massive publiation, I was hoping to find infor