5.0 out of 5 stars How to cook the perfect - It's PERFECT!
I don't normally do this kind of thing with reviews but I felt compelled to after owning this book for around 6 months. I am a keen cook and have a real love for food, wanting to develop the fundamental skills of good cooking and being a fan of Marcus' work made me buy this book and I am so glad i did.

His two Michelin star credentials shine through in the...
Published on 9 Jan 2009 by M. Goff

3.0 out of 5 stars uninspiring and misleading
Some may be mislead by this title into thinking they are buying a book which unleashes some secret method of producing a "perfect" restaurant quality dish which you can replicate at home - actually, I think the general aim is to produce what he considers "perfect" versions of every day dishes..."perfect" eggs, sausage and mash, chops, roast beef, chocolate cake, tomato...
Published on 16 May 2010 by natalie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars How to cook the perfect - It's PERFECT!, 9 Jan 2009
M. Goff (Southampton, England) - See all my reviews

His two Michelin star credentials shine through in the recipes which I would call conventional but delicious, the method not too complicated and the results amazing! By far and away the best bit about this book are Marcus' 'Key's To Perfection' that accompany all recipes, outside the main body of text (often on the opposite page with pictures) he gives you little tips and advice on how to reach 'perfection'.

He also doesn't assume that it will all go well first time round, the 'All Is Not Lost' sections of the recipes give's you a chance to rescue the meal or simply take it to another level.

I have over 20 cook books including Ramsay, Pierre White, Aitkins, Torode, Worrall Thompson, Slater and Atherton but this is the one i turn to time and time again - a truly perfect cook book to have in the kitchen, I cant review it well enough, if Amazon had six stars this would certainly get it!

5.0 out of 5 stars At last I know how to cook fish!, 20 Jan 2009
C. Blake "blakey" (london, uk) - See all my reviews
I love this book and will keep it forever. Sure it is not gonna turn you into Marcus and that is not its intention. It gives great advice and great recipes for the home cook who is looking to improve. Here is a personal example. I am an average to good cook and fish has always stumped me (pan frying it that is). With his attention to detail and ease of explanation I am now a competent fish cook and no longer avoid cooking it - thank you marcus!
I want to try 90% of the recipes in the book (and have nearly reached that goal) and that is a sign of a great cookbook - I have rather a lot of them that are far too clean this one is gonna get very dirty!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Foolproof recipes, 3 May 2007
Surviving training under Gordon Ramsay is no mean feat, but Marcus Wareing proved more than capable of holding his own. With a clutch of Michelin stars, now he has his first cookery book to add to his parade.

In `How to Cook the Perfect...' Marcus has assembled a collection of recipes that cover a wide range of homely favourites with a focus on his `Keys to Perfection'. These pinpoint the whys and wherefores of each dish and help you achieve the highest standards, as well as show you how to avoid culinary disasters.

Marcus, you may remember, won the pudding round of the Great British Menu 2006 with his Custard Tart. Now, armed with his recipe, you can make it, as well as such delights as Shallot Tatins, Fried Eggs `Banjo', and Couscous with Candied Lemon with utter confidence.

Despite his background, this isn't a book full of tricksy recipes that look gorgeous but are far too daunting to attempt yourself. Mum's Pork Chops, or a simple, but heavenly-looking Tomato Salad hark back to Marcus' Northern childhood. Not only are they completely family- but also user-friendly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Class, 8 Jun 2007
M. Peretti - See all my reviews
Top Class book from a top rate Michelin star chef. This guy has worked in some of England's best restaurants such as Le Gavroche under the Roux brothers and more recently Gordon Ramsay. But his recipes do not patronize in anyway but are down to earth. This is more than just a set of recipes, but it gives you an incite into the thought processes behind the dish, and it highlights potential pit-falls.

This book has developed myself as cook, and the little tips dotted out across the book are very helpful. Good stage by stage pictures and was nice to know where Wareing discovered these dishes etc.

There are millions of cook books on the market, but this is one you should have.

5.0 out of 5 stars A cook book you'll return to again and again, 23 Oct 2009
Mr. Martin G. Smith (Ayrshire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Quite simply this book got me into cooking. For a change, it's a recipe book where the results are always (and I do mean always) spot on. Plus a lot of the recipes are startingly simple so you are more likely to try them, rather than just think about it. So much of the things I learnt from this book make part of my almost every day cooking.

This book changed me from a freezer-food cook to someone who loves and looks forward to cooking. The recipes are easy to follow and there is plenty of advice on how to get it perfect and how to avoid or rectify mistakes.

I cannot stress enough how good this book is. Plus, it's got probably the best tomato soup recipe ever put to print.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential addition to any cook's library, 28 Jun 2009
Well, I must admit that I obtained this book free in a supermarket when it was being given away as a bonus if you bought a certain Sunday newspaper. Normally in those circumstances you tend to figure they've got the actual value about right - but definitely not here! This is one of the handiest and most user-friendly cookbooks I have ever seen; full of tips to add just that particular EXTRA boost that makes a meal really outstanding. Mr Wareing sticks to dishes that most people will want to cook anyway - nothing too outlandish. But in every case that I have tried so far, HIS version is really special. I cannot recommend this book highly enough; for a novice, it is a wonderful introduction with fool-proof recipes; for the more experienced cook, it is full of innovative ideas to improve your cooking. 5 stars for sure!

5.0 out of 5 stars My all-time favourite cookbook, 17 July 2013
This review is from: How to Cook the Perfect... (Paperback)
I have had this book for over a year now and I still find it one of my most used (and useful) cookbooks.

The basic premise of the book I believe comes from when Marcus Wareing made his Custard Tart on the Great British Menu. When the BBC posted the recipe online, some people contacted to say they were unable to successfully complete the recipe as he had done - and it was at this point that Marcus Wareing realised that there are numerous tips/tricks/knowledge that professionals have that help ensure any recipe is a success.

With this in mind - the book offers 90 recipes and with each one comes a tip on what the 'key to perfection' is. The recipes themselves are home-cooking recipes rather than restaurant dishes, but are fantastic and cover off the main areas you would expect (fish, meat, baking, desserts etc).

I have cooked almost half the recipes in the book and all of them have come out as I had hoped, and so I really cannot fault the instructions and 'keys to perfection'.

The dessert recipes are a particular treat and do include his custard tart along with a fantastic treacle tart. His recipe for roast pork belly is also fantastic and he shows how to ensure perfect crackling every time (and it really is amazing crackling!).

If you are looking to make something new or different at the weekend, but don't want multiple pages of instructions for restaurant-style dishes, this book really is fantastic and I would highly recommend it

5.0 out of 5 stars Very clever book, 15 Jan 2010
Yes, you don't necessarily learn to make anything new and exciting. What you get is wonderfully useful tips to make the basic things better.

5.0 out of 5 stars How to write the perfect..., 6 Oct 2009
Mr. K. Blofield "cliff" (Portsmouth, England) - See all my reviews
This is already one of my favourite cookbooks, it is of the highest order, the recipies are first class with clear explainations and tips on how to get things just right. The recipie for the fish pie is the first thing i cooked from the book wich my wife said was the best i had ever cooked.
This isn't a book for new cooks but the best i have got to take your cooking to a higher level...perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars The name says it all, 11 April 2013
Dan Mason (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How to Cook the Perfect... (Paperback)
Simply brilliant. For what is not a particularly long book, it's amazing how much inspiration and information it contains. I use and consult this book very regularly, and it's by far the best cookbook I own that isn't a full-on encyclopaedic type.
Stand-out recipes for me are Roast Chicken, Braised Lamb Shanks, Pumpkin & Parmesan soup... these are the ones I have adopted into my "internal cookbook" but whether you want to make a deliciously different dessert or just need a quick reminder of how to make scones, the recipes in this book are basically flawless, and easily achievable for the keen home cook.
Buy the hardback because otherwise you'll wear it out!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

How to Cook the Perfect...
How to Cook the Perfect... by Wright Jeni (Paperback - 2 Aug 2010)
Used & New from: £6.53