on 20 July 2013
Firstly, the information on cruising was completely out of date ... I think it must have been written 15 years ago - even included references like "don't forget to pack your camera and plenty of rolls of film!". Secondly, there was no useful information about how to get from the port to the main visitor attractions eg the port in Rome (Citavecchia) is an hour or so outside Rome - there is no mention of what the best options are eg train and how long the journey is. No tips on how to avoid queues when time is limited etc - all the important things when time in a cruise port is limited. All this book is a very summarised version of the main European cities - mainly consisting of pictures - I could glean as much information looking at a rack of postcards! I sent this book back and purchased the Rick Stein book which was 100% better.
on 21 January 2014
I bought this guide to do some research before a cruise to the Baltic. I knew that it covered all of Europe and the Mediterranean, and so wasn't unduly surprised that the ports we were interested had only a few pages allocated to them, and some of the were not mentioned at all. But it's full of good tips, especially if you're new to cruising, and now sits alongside several other DK guides on my bookshelf. The overall quality was certainly up to the standard I've come to expect of all the DK guides, even if the detail was light because of the breadth it sought to cover. I'd certainly recommend it to others.
on 31 December 2012
Well written and good guides to ports ... lots of detail of things that matter - easy to look up and find out info
on 2 July 2013
Sorry didn't really like this book. Promised much but to be honest I didn't really use it whilst on our cruise. You get more useful information from the travel blogs and web
on 10 July 2013
Out of the 7 ports of call on my med cruise this only covered 2 and that was not very well. Could have got better info from the web. Waste of my money if I am honest.
on 27 May 2013
Don't go on you cruise without DK Eyewitness cruise guide to Europe. Invaluable to let you see the most of your onshore visits and save time and money too.
on 18 November 2011
This book is a very good insight in what to expect at various cruise ship ports, from a mini map, what to see and even a bit of history. Will test its metal soon when wandering around on my next adventure.
on 29 September 2014
So many guide books for countries go into such depth of the various places within the country. When one is cruising, you don't want to lug about hefty guidebooks for each different country. This guide book is ideal and was much used on a cruise around the Med at Christmas, plus cruises to visiting other port in Europe. It is ideal and well-thumbed. The little guides 3-d picture guides of walks round port towns is excellent too.
on 17 June 2013
We bought this book ahead of a Med cruise, we have cruised before but always in the caribbean. I found the book really useful gave distances from the ports to main towns, and things to see there, the only additional information which may have proved useful would be how to get to places without taking the trips provided by the cruise lines, although this information can be found with some digging on the internet.
on 14 August 2013
Didn't quite live up to my expectations as hoped for more information about the stops and sights at each stop. Had hoped it would remove the need to get maps and pick up guides where ever we stopped but did not really do that. It also only covered half of the places we stopped even though on P&O and stopped in major ports.