on 6 May 2011
*** To avoid possible duplication it may be useful to note that this book is:-

'Based on content previously published in 'The Cooking Book' (2008) & 'Cook Express' (2009)' ***

Dinner in the Freezer is an attractive book with a good balance of home-and-away recipes in which we find old familiars such as 'Shepherd's Pie', 'Fish Fingers with chunky Tartare Sauce', 'Pizza' and 'Coq au Vin' mingling with the, perhaps, less common 'Sauerbraten', 'Albóndigas' and 'Chicken Schnitzels'.

From the back cover:-

'Fill up the freezer with everyday favourites to get ahead with the week's family cooking. One-pot dishes, hearty soups, pies and tarts, and sweet treats.

* How to cook in bulk, batch, and freeze
* Ready-to-reheat-and-eat recipes for every day and for every occasion
* Step-by-sep instructions ensure fast and failsafe results

The appealing 'Beef Stew with Orange and Bay Leaves', from pages 98 & 99, adorns the durable front hardboard cover which opens up to 224 high quality, split over main chapters:-

1. Hearty Soups (pg 24-43)
2. Casseroles & Curries (pg 45-105)
3. Pan-fries & Grills (pg 108-131)
4. Oven Bakes (pg 134-153)
5. Pizzas, Pies & Tarts (pg 156-191)
6. Sauces (pg 194-202)
7. Instant Desserts (pg 206-221)

sandwiched between notes for batching/freezing & freezer packaging, along with 10 pages of 'recipe choosers', and a guide to the symbols used in the recipes, with the index at the very back.
The inside cover pages have, as usual, the handy tables for volume and weight equivalents, oven temperatures and fridge and freezer storage guidelines which are also replicated on the inner back cover pages for quick and easy reference.

Each chapter opens simply with an appropriate double-page photographic spread and the chapter title and is generally followed by another double page spread of handy step-by-step instructions of any required techniques, e.g.:-

* making a stock,
* deseeding and cutting chillies
* lining a tart tin
* baking pastry blind
* making ice cream (with or without a machine)

Each recipe is clearly laid out with the title, description, the list/s of ingredients and a numbered method, along with a serving suggestion and a paragraph of freezing instructions.

The symbol guide offers extra information, e.g.:-

* the number of servings and preparation & cook times

and can also include, for example:-

* Healthy Option
* Specialist equipment requirement (e.g. large flameproof casserole or food processor)
* Pre-preparation requirement (e.g. soaking beans overnight)

Each of the recipes has an enticing full-page colour illustration from a selection of photographers.

My favourite chapter is 'Oven Bakes' which has such a variety that it is very hard to choose the first one to try out!

'Aubergine Parmigiana' from pages 134 & 135, along with 'Shepherdless Pie', from pages 150 & 151 eventually won and proved to be excellent choices for a fast moving vegetarian evening.
Last night I tried the tasty 'Shin of Beef with Marsala', from pages 76 & 77, serving 8, which went down very well simply served with a chunk of warm crusty bread.

A taste of the other recipes contained within:-

* Thick Vegetable Soup
* Rich Tomato Sauce
* Double Chocolate Ice Cream
* Orange Sorbet
* Zesty Lemon Granita

My only criticism is that the dessert section is on the short and sweet side!

Overall, a useful book, one of the 'everyDay easy' series from DK which currently also includes:-

30 Minute Suppers
Chicken
One-pot
Cakes & Cupcakes
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image
on 26 September 2013
I had this awhile before I started using it and I love it now. The recipe chooser at the front is genius. I've cooked a lot of the vegetarian ones...we especially like the veggie lasagne, curried veg pies, mixed mushroom and walnut tart, leek and potato soup, shepherdless pie and the Quiche. Meat wise, the sausages with butter beans and the chicken and sweet corn pie are lovely. I'm working through the book (have also tried the veg curry, but I think it needs tweaking) I really like this book.
on 6 November 2011
Ecellent book, not just the recipies but the principles of freezing. Have a few good cooking days and then have food for the month.
on 21 August 2013
Who wants to cook every night after a long day at work and kids running around? Not me!

This book enables me to cook a weeks worth of meals in one go, and once cooled put in freezer bags and label up so always lots to defrost ready for mealtime in the evenings.

Just need a chest freezer now as my integral one is filling up fast!

This is a really good book, I highly recommend it.
on 8 April 2014
Easy/clear instructions. very helpful tips . I have been cooking for over 40 years , saw this book on my daughters table , glanced at it and wanted one, Didn't realise you could batch cook and freeze so many different recipes = easy to more complicated .
on 11 November 2012
Finally a cookbook that has brilliant recipes with clear instructions and meals that can be made ahead and stuck in the freezer.
on 11 December 2011
I'm disappointed to find so few desserts in this book, which I wouldn't have bought if I'd read all the reviews! Only icecreams and granitas. Otherwise some really tasty-looking savoury courses.
on 12 January 2014
Simple and easy to follow recipes which make tasty meals. All have been as good to eat when defrosted and reheated as they were when first cooked
on 26 July 2013
The book contains a wide range of delicious looking meals and includes some very helpful information. I'm pregnant and bought this book so I could pre prepare a few meals to help me through the first few weeks (...months...) with a newborn. However, I made my first meal last night (pork with rice and tomatoes) and it was a disaster. I followed the recipe to a T and the result was a sloppy inedible mess. While I am certainly no chef, I suspect that something is missing from the ingredients..like, chicken stock or something along them lines. Either way the whole thing ended up in the bin. What a waste of money. I feel reluctant to try another recipe for fear of a similar thing happening...I don't trust the book!
on 19 June 2015