5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant

Published on 7 Feb 2012 by chemist3

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 8 July 2010
This review is from: The Preserving Book (Cookery) (Hardcover)
I love this book. I didn't think a book about preserving food could wet my taste buds so ferociously, but it does. This isn't a book just to flick through, but to actually use. The recipes are inspiring, some simply because they are so simple but the food combination so wonderful. I envisage having a cupboard full of grilled courgettes and peppers, pestos, bottled artichokes, picadillos, chutneys, rumpot oozing with flavour...

The recipes are easy to follow, with even the font being well thought out. There are lots of photos to inspire and it's a lovely book to look at.

There are also cordials and homebrew and, although the homebrew section is small, it makes you realise just how easy it is to start turning your fruit etc. into alcohol; the recipes look like they will taste great.

There's also a good section on how long vegetables will keep in the freezer and that sort of thing. The only thing I would say on the negative side is that the index is a little inconsistent, but apart from that the book is great. I highly recommend it, and for those of you who eat seasonably and so languish a bit over winter this is a must.

4.0 out of 5 stars preserving is fun, 18 Sep 2010
This review is from: The Preserving Book (Cookery) (Hardcover)
I bought this book without knowing anything about it. It is great!! It gives the basics and the exotic. I have tried a lot of the recipes and they are really tasty, expecially the homemade candid peel; will never buy commercial peel every again. The only drawback is that the times given for boiling and drying are out a bit but this is just splitting hairs. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to preserve.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant preserving book, 9 Nov 2010
This review is from: The Preserving Book (Cookery) (Hardcover)
I'm new to preserving and found a lot of the information available on the web to be patchy and contradictory. This book has been an absolute godsend. The information is clear and precise and it gives you plenty of instructions and options on how to sterilise jars (the bit I was most nervous about).

I've already made some of the recipes and can completely recommend them - the Fig and Vanilla Jam is divine and the Tomato and Courgette Chutney was incredible, even before it had matured!!

I really liked that the book also goes beyond the usual jams and chutney fare - not only are there are ways to preserve vegetables and fruit (ever heard of a fruit butter?), the book also explores home brewing and meat-smoking. Granted, there's only a few pages dedicated to these but it's enough to give you a taste for all the possibilities out there.

Highly recommended - there's plenty here for beginners and experts alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is inspiring!, 3 Oct 2010
This review is from: The Preserving Book (Cookery) (Hardcover)
I love this book. I had never preserved anything before, but after growing my own fruit and veg for the first time I decided I wanted to make the most of hard growing. This book tells you how to do EVERYTHING from making Jam, to preserving in oil, even how to smoke or your own meat!! The recipes are easy to follow, usually shown in 5 illustrated stages. It also gives you advice on what other veggies are suitable for certain things and it gives you ideas for making your own recipes...

I really recommend, I can't praise it enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 10 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Preserving Book (Cookery) (Hardcover)
A great book for all people who love cooking. Delicious recipes ideas. Great for both the experienced and novice chef. I absolutely love this book, and have cooked some fantastic things from it, and cannot recommend it enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 20 Sep 2011
This review is from: The Preserving Book (Cookery) (Hardcover)
We live in the south of Italy and have 80 mixed fruit trees and a large vegetable garden. Despite our effortst we cannot help having gluts of produce and at times we cannot even give our fruit and veg away. This book provides ways of extending the consumption of our produce throughout the year often in original ways when compared with local traditional methods. I like the way the book provides sample recipes that can be adapted to whatever you have. My only slight criticism is that it in some cases, the product life could be extended by applying what our neigbours do (boiling fully closed jars of produce in water). This method is described in some cases but in my view, could be used to greater extent. Anyway - this does not prevent me from giving it full marks and I am looking forward to trying some of the methods that I have not yet tackled.

4.0 out of 5 stars A future classic, 21 Mar 2011
This review is from: The Preserving Book (Cookery) (Hardcover)
I've just received my copy of this book and as I'd expected it's up to the usual high DK standard. It contains a really comprehensive and interesting selection of preserving techniques to try out, even making some of the more complex ones seem eminently do-able. I have an extensive collection of preserving books ranging from past to present and I'd happily rate this up there with that other DK classic and now hard to obtain edition (also titled The Preserving Book), by Oded Schwartz.

Excellent value.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Preserving Book, 3 Sep 2010
This review is from: The Preserving Book (Cookery) (Hardcover)
Excellent book - old methods brought up to date as well as new ideas. Nicely presented.

1.0 out of 5 stars Exciting Disappointment, 7 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Preserving Book (Cookery) (Hardcover)
This could have been one of the best books to own and use and is possibly an exciting book still. Beautiful colour and inspiring ideas and recipes. I told people it's the best ever flick through book I've bought in years. I couldn't wait to get stuck into the making. Having assembled all my apparatus I went head long into the methods. Only to be flummoxed. It is a good indicator of a books workability and quality when one can follow and do without having to pause constantly to recheck. Having to ask people in the same room/house about points. Having to telephone people who have the same book and much more experience in the ways of making and preserving in order to gain clarification and advice. For it is this issue that brings the book crashing down. The major flaw in this book is the lack of clarity and the inexcusable errors and omissions as exemplified in a previous review viz the apple, cider, and sage jelly recipe. Does one have the lid off/half on/on too during the cooking stages? This is not explicitly stated in each recipe and a most annoying lack of clarity. For such a big well known and respected company DK really have left their purchasing public with a sour taste in their mouths with this edition.

5.0 out of 5 stars the preserving book, 5 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Preserving Book (Cookery) (Hardcover)
i love making jams and chutneys this book meets all what i want to make it was recemended to me

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Preserving Book (Cookery)
The Preserving Book (Cookery) by Lynda Brown (Hardcover - 1 July 2010)
8.49