Format: Hardcover|Change

on 19 June 2010
I borrowed this book from my local library - amazingly, they acquired it 3 days after it was published. This is, without doubt, one of the most beautifully illustrated astronomy books I have ever read. It covers a wide range of topics for newcomers to astronomy, as well as 88 pages of guides to constellations - all accompanied with photographs of prominent stars and maps to guide you. Basic concepts of astronomy are explained in terms that make sense, and there is also extensive discussion of the cosmos and space physics - but the key is in the simplicity and straightforward approach of the book. On top of this, there are also guides to using the naked eye, binoculars, telescopes (purchasing and setting up) and astrophotography.

I have only just begun looking up at the night sky, having just purchased a telescope for my father's birthday back in April. I have to say that this is one of the most helpful books I have read on the subject - so much so that I intend to purchase a copy, because I don't want to be without it. Advanced astronomers might skip this book, simply because they have the information elsewhere (though the photographs in this book are oustanding, as is often the case with DK books), but for beginners it's a superb purchase.
0Comment|124 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 August 2010
I found this book in the library shortly after it was published. Most other library books on astronomy are well out of date.
This is the most comprehensive guide on astronomy I have seen and is, more importantly up-to-date.

I had to own a copy of the book and bought it on Amazon a few days later. It is now a constant companion.
on 26 December 2011
I bought this book as a christmas present for my boyfriend who has recently become really interested in astronomy. He has told me that it has a massive amount of useful information in it and even tells you what time of year you can see the certain things in the night sky. I am really please with this buy, such a great book and reasonably priced.
on 13 January 2012
Bought this book for my daugther for christmas and have to say I am very impressed. The book is sufficiently detailed to be very useful without losing the readers interest - as an introdcution to astronomy it's excellent.
on 6 March 2014
This is a nicely structured and nicely presented book, explaining the phenomena of universe in a non-technical yet not too simplistic fashion. It gives practical hints how to find galaxies and constellations in the sky and gives you all the information you need to be confidently navigating through the night skies. Even my 6-year old son enjoyed it, at least the graphical pages outlaying constellations.
on 30 January 2011
i purchased this book along with a telescope ,and i have to say its pretty much perfect for a novice to astronomy.
ive since bought a couple more expensive books,but i keep going back to this one.!!
great illustrations and photo's. kept simple but full of information all the same. the star charts at end of the book are brilliant. the book covers many basic aspects. setting up scopes,different types of scopes, how to observe planets ,the moon, deep sky objects,its all there. very happy.
clear skies...
on 10 June 2011
I had this book out from my library and have kept it for 3 months and now they want it back, so i have just bought it from Amazon as it is one of the best books that i have used, i have had over 10 different books based on astronomy and what i have found is no one book has all the information on all the things you may be interested in, but there are some books that i could not do without and this is one of them, turn left at orion (4th edition) due for release in July 2011 is another book and another is the Philips STARGAZING 2011 month-by-month guide to the northern night sky and finally download STELLARIUM form the net it is awesome.
on 27 February 2012
We got telescope for Christmas and now I just got this book. Now everything is in pdf-s or on internet but having this book in printed edition is probably the best option. If you like to watch sky and all cosmic related events this book is a must have. Will also explain how to use telescope and where to look ;)
on 16 May 2013
Very in depth book, a good way for anyone keen on astronomy to get started or improve. Contains good tips on types of telescopes and mounts, recognising constellations and what to look for at different times of the year, amongst much much more.
on 29 September 2012
This is an excellent introduction to astronomy, the photos and illustrations are superb but why is the type so small? The book is very difficult to read particularly when light is low- I'll be selling it soon and I hope the publishers read these comments and reformat the book.