Format: Hardcover|Change

TOP 100 REVIEWERon 11 October 2010
This is a vast tome, very heavy - in fact not so much a coffee table book as a coffee table in itself! Mind you, you would not want to get liquid anywhere near this as you won't want to run the risk of spoiling some of the best space related photographs and illustrations you will see in a long time. True this means the text is a bit lacking in detail on some occasions but even then there is more than enough to get your teeth into on that front. You won't be reading this book on the train but in the comfort of your own living room this is a book to savour.
on 15 March 2011
I used to love reading about space missions and the planets in the solar system when I was a child but haven't bought a book on space in over 20 years and then I came across this book. So much has changed over that time with the Hubble telescope images and the international space station that I thought I'd give this book a try.

My verdict is that this is an amazing book. It starts off with the inner planets of the solar system and then the outer planets and then the kuiper belt and onwards and outwards. The photography is really amazing, there is such a large amount of breathtaking pictures such as the dunes of Mars and the volcanic activity on other moons and some vast nebula that are light years across. Everything is so unimaginably big that it is not possible to really comprehend in a photograph.

There are also many other things in the book that I haven't fully read yet such as descriptions of a neutrino experiment in Japan that looks like something straight out of a science fiction movie and photos taken using ultraviolet and other types of light frequency. There are also theoretical images and text on topics such as how the Earth was formed.

The galaxy has billions of stars and the images are really quite humbling. My advice if you decide to get this book, is to read it when you have peace and quiet in order to reflect and contemplate what you are looking at just to do it justice.

This is a good purchase for those with imagination and an interest in the unknown.
on 4 April 2011
This is a typical Dorling Kindersley book. In other words, sumptuous illustrations and clear to follow text. More than worth it for the illustrations alone but as a very new Open University student of astronomy, it is proving invaluable in helping me get to grips with the subject. A superb book.
on 26 January 2011
This book surpassed all my expectations and then some. Opening up on mans first forays into space it goes on to take you planet by planet to the outer solar system and then deep into space with a fantastic amount of information at each stop. The real selling point with these types of books is the imagery and this one doesn't disappoint. You'll be mesmerized by the double page spread photographs not to mention the high quality info-graphics and illustrations.

I've been slowly working my way through the book (a rather hefty size) and can tell this one will stay with me for many years to come, well worth the money.
on 3 November 2015
Bought for my twelve year old son. Very, very impressive, and it has a lot of competition, so that is really saying something. Beautifully, attractively laid out, superb images and great clarity. He has scarcely put it down since I gave it to him. Strongly recommended as an antidote to the offensively dumbed-down BBC series 'wonders of the solar system'.
on 13 November 2013
While space is being discovered further and further, this book offers all the basic details on how the investigations began, with lots of easily understandable diagrams, photos and tables with data on planets, stars, the Sun, missions, rockets etc. A must have, and although it is quite old by now, it contains many materials and data that will not change in the future.
on 4 June 2014
Fantastic space book ,giving us all the latest nassa findings and data.
the photography is just well out of this world , no punn intended .
the book was published in 2010 , it does mention some great nassa missions like the new horizons space probe ,on its way to pluto ,
but we wiil have to wait untill july 2015 for our first close incounter with this last planet in the solar system.
the other thing i like about this book . is the extensive section on our own planer earth.
if space is your thing . i recommend this book.
on 18 May 2011
There is no need to spend 20 million or even 200 000 USD for a flight into space, well at least yet.

Just sit back and relax as once you open this book - it will take you from our home Earth right throughout every single planet and satellite in our Solar System and far beyond than that - to the remotest galaxy clusters.

As you would expect from `'DK'' - quality and amount of illustrations is absolutely outstanding.

Of course apart of illustrations and great layout this book has pretty much everything you would need to know about the Space.

It is something amazing to realise how much actually we know already about the world out there and how much is still to be learned.
Well worth any money spend, an amazing book.
on 21 December 2014
I bought this for my brother who is a total science nut and I am thoroughly impressed with this book. The pictures are absolutely stunning and the information is plentiful. I skimmed through it myself and found it to be very insightful and interesting as well as easily understood even for an astrophysics amateur like myself. An absolute must buy for lovers of all things space and even those who are flirting with the curiosity of what is outside our own little planet. Amazing and definitely worth every single penny.
on 1 October 2014
Absolutely Stunning Photographs from the Earth to the edge of the known Universe. Clear, informative, educational text as well.

Very Very Highly recommended to anybody interested in Outer Space and our place in the Cosmos.