5.0 out of 5 stars Starfinder
Ever since I was a kid, I've always wanted to learn more about astronomy. I'd look up at the stars with awe but never really learned much beyond identifying the big dipper. I knew I needed a good star book that was basic enough so that I could learn from the beginning. So when I saw that DK was putting out Starfinder, I immediately ordered it.

My expectations...
Published on 17 Jun. 2008 by Tami Brady

2.0 out of 5 stars Location, Location, Location
Good book and cards, but I feel it needs to state in the description what latitude it is for. It is perfect for America and Canada but the planisphere is not wholly suitable for the UK as we here in Blighty are at 53 degrees which is not where the book relates to.
If I had known it was not for the UK I would have looked for a different product.
Published on 24 Feb. 2010 by H. Dennis

5.0 out of 5 stars Starfinder, 17 Jun. 2008
Tami Brady "Integrated Whole Health" (Calgary, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

My expectations were high but I have to say that I am extremely pleased with this resource. The kit comes complete with a moveable star chart that can be positioned so that you can look at the sky and the labeled chart and have them match up. There's also very informative book that looks at the nature of astronomy, talks about the planets and stars, and outlines the movements over the course of the year (including interesting things to look out for from now until 2012.

A feature that I most like, however, are the cards. I originally thought that the cards would be most useful for kids. I tend to use them to learn a little more each time I go out to look at the stars. I simply pull a card and try to learn something new. I find it makes the process less overwhelming and more fun.

Funny, I ordered the set for myself. Yet, everyone in my family thought that I got it for them: to use when camping, to teach the little ones about the stars, or to have something to do while smoking outside.

2.0 out of 5 stars Location, Location, Location, 24 Feb. 2010
H. Dennis (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, 3 Sept. 2009
Those who are new to Astronomy will find the Starfinder a very useful tool indeed. I would highly recommend this to any amateur astronomer. An excellent guide for those readt to explore the night sky.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous for amateur astronomy, 20 April 2011
This review is from: Starfinder (Dk Astronomy) (Hardcover)
This book is for anyone who's interested in learning a bit more about the night sky. The book is very well laid out, with a chapter on the practical aspects of star gazing as well as many sections detailing the major constellations and planets and what time of the year is best to view them. The language of the book is jargon free and easy to understand, making it a breeze for completely lay people of all ages. The added bonus of the book is the planisphere which is mounted on the front cover, which helps the budding astronomer identify the stellar objects in the sky. My only gripe with this book is with the planisphere - it would have been easier to use had it been separate from the book, as carting around a big book on cold nights just to use the planisphere is a bit frustrating! Otherwise, I would highly recommend this book as a brilliant introduction to the fascinating world of astronomy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice product, 16 Jan. 2013
Ms. K. A. Ryall (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Starfinder (Dk Astronomy) (Hardcover)
It's a lovely book, very informative for the new star gazer. Able to identify the different stars on a clear night.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 28 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Starfinder (Dk Astronomy) (Hardcover)
very well illustrated. was purchased as a gift

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressed, 14 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Starfinder (Dk Astronomy) (Hardcover)
Fantastic for little and big stargazers

Starfinder (Dk Astronomy)
Starfinder (Dk Astronomy) by Carole Stott (Hardcover - 1 Mar. 2010)
Used & New from: £2.70