5.0 out of 5 stars At last a useable wildflower book!
Published on 6 July 2004

1.0 out of 5 stars Same As
I purchased this book along with Neil Fletcher,s pocket nature and found these two are the same just different covers I was going to return this on but found the cost of postage it wasn,t worth it, I tried to return it at the amazone warehouse as I was passing but they could,nt except it, it had to be by post so I found a friend to take it off my hands
Published on 9 July 2010 by mr s

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars At last a useable wildflower book!, 6 July 2004
By A Customer
I have a couple of books on wildflowers and have used them 'in the field'. However, they all assume that you know what family the flowers are from before you begin to identify them - and so I end up spending time flicking through the pages. Not here - I always wondered why they didn't classy flowers by colour - well they do in this book. So come across a flower you don't know, skip to the right colour section in the book and hey presto! Really easy to use, lots of good information. My 4 year old can even use it. Great!

4.0 out of 5 stars Most useful, but in need of a good index, 26 July 2005
By A Customer
Of the wild-flower books I own, including "The Encyclopedia of Wild Flowers," and the "Collins Gem Wild Flowers," Neil Fletcher's Pocket Nature Wild Flowers is certainly the simplest and clearest to use. I do have one complaint, however, and it is with the index, which I find inconsistent, incomplete, and in some respects, useless. For example, many flowers, such as "Buttercup" and "Thistle," just to mention a couple, are not even listed as such in the index. To find them there, you would need to know their full names, such as "Creeping Buttercup," "Spear Thistle," "Creeping Thistle," or "Marsh Thistle." For me, as a beginner in learning about wild flowers, a good index would show all varieties under "Thistle." Other flowers, such as the "Daisy," are not listed except under their Latin names. For me a good index is an important aspect of a reference book, and this one certainly leaves much to be desired.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was looking for!!!, 6 July 2011
This review is from: Wild Flowers (RSPB Pocket Nature) (Paperback)
This is the best book I've found on wild flowers that's easy to carry yet detailed. There are over 440 species in it with brief sections on plant height, flower size, flowering time, leaf and fruit detail and similar plants in addition to a general characteristics section. Each entry is half a page and the book length from top to bottom is about 19 cm. It also tells you where to find the plants in the Uk and it covers NW Europe. The photos are clear and there are illustrations. It's easy to find the plants when out exploring/foraging as they are organised according to colour- this is the main reason why I bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wild Flower Book, 3 Jun 2010
This review is from: Wild Flowers (RSPB Pocket Nature) (Paperback)
This is an excellent book with beautiful pictures of the various wild flowers. Each colour of flower is grouped together in the one section which I find very helpful. Would thoroughly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wild Flowers, 9 July 2009
Mr. Dm Bolger (Charent; France) - See all my reviews
If anyone is interested in wild flowers or just has a need to identify one, this is the book to have. Clear, simple and easy to use, this little gem makes the identification of wild flowers so much more interesting.
The colour coding is what makes it so easy to use.
Mine has already become a bit dog-eared after only 6 months.

5.0 out of 5 stars great little reference, 6 Mar 2013
This review is from: Wild Flowers (RSPB Pocket Nature) (Paperback)
I bought this for my wife but find that I am using it as much as she does, would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wild Flowers, Pocket Nature, 4 Sep 2009
Mrs. Rp Meinke "Rachel" (Guernsey, Channel Islands) - See all my reviews
At you finger-tips reference, sorted by colours, (how else can a beginner start?) easily portable and attractive to handle.
Very comprehensive, though on the Island where I live there have been many hybrids and adaptations due to isolation, climatic changes, too much "tidying" by humankind, etc, which would need another volume.

5.0 out of 5 stars concise field guide, 16 Jan 2013
This review is from: Wild Flowers (RSPB Pocket Nature) (Paperback)
Loved the whole book small enough to carry yet easy on my failing eyesight.

Easy to find and identify things and logically presented

5.0 out of 5 stars Reference book, 24 Sep 2010
Mr. Michael R. Shaw "Mike Shaw" (Côte-d'Or, France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wild Flowers (RSPB Pocket Nature) (Paperback)
A perfect book for the task of identifying what we have in France, where we live and the UK. Not too complicated to peruse and fine for the job.

5.0 out of 5 stars very useful small book, 31 May 2010
This book is small enough to carry around for identifying wild flowers. Very easy to use because the flowers are grouped by colour. Helpful information will aid precise identification when two flowers are similar. I take my book with me on evey walk.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Wild Flowers (RSPB Pocket Nature)
Wild Flowers (RSPB Pocket Nature) by Dk (Paperback - 1 Feb 2010)