on 9 May 2004
An excellent guide to digital for those new to photography, or for those switching to digital, either converting to digital entirely or in conjunction with traditional film photography.
This guide is an excellent way to get started, with equipment guides, troubleshooting, format guides and software guides all without the usual obfuscation accociated with all things technologial.
Buy it.
on 27 November 2011
I work on the principle that if I am short of inspiration, take a look at what others are doing. I came across this book in a library, renewed it several times and found it very useful to dip into as a creative source and to develop my understanding of digital techniques using Photoshop. I am working on a project "A Year in Photographs" which drives me to take my camera out every day and record variety and interest in the world around me. The format of the book is conveniently compact for easy reference but well filled with photographs and ideas which help to keep me going. Where I need to know more I dip into online video tutorials which amplify where necessary. I have read criticism that some of the text is not entirely clear - fair comment perhaps but not a problem for me as I am able to follow the general principal being described if not the odd detail. I was sufficently impressed to buy this book as a present to encourage another budding photographer and have also bought another Tom Ang book for my own use. It is one of several resources that I use to develop my skills.
on 3 December 2012
I purchased a secondhand copy of this book through Amazon which arrived quickly, at a good price and in good condition as described.

However I found the book to be a little disappointing, Tom Ang is an excellent author and other publications have proved very worthwhile.

There is a new edition due in 2013, but will probably prove much the same with updated product reviews.

If you are new to digital photography it may prove helpful with composition tips exposure control etc.

The book lacks any in depth explanation of subjects covered

Sorry Tom!
on 31 March 2015
Very good
on 27 December 2005
This book promised so much and after venturing in to the realm of SLR and digital photgraphy I needed a good basic book. Unfortunatly this was not it.
on 14 December 2005
The author makes the fundamental mistake of assuming that the reader owns a computer. There are frequent references to "your computer". For anyone who does not have one, or who is less than fully computer literate, the book loses much of its value. It is meant to be an introduction to its subject, but I was not far into the book before I became completely baffled. I give it one star for demonstrating that digital photography is much too complicated and expensive for my liking. I'll stick to film.