5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent place to start
Published on 27 Aug. 2010 by emma who reads a lot

1.0 out of 5 stars One star to Amazon because I received American edition
This is not a review of the content of the book as I have only just received it (though I can say that it is, on first perusal, an attractively produced book). However, customers of Amazon.co.uk should beware about editions! I was sent the American edition which has oven temperatures in Fahrenheit instead of Celsius and weights in 'cups' and ounces instead of grams (ml...
Published on 17 Jan. 2013 by noc

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent place to start, 27 Aug. 2010
emma who reads a lot (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Weaning (Hardcover)
Annabel Karmel is the Queen of Baby Eating, and this is just the latest in a steady stream of publications by her on the subject. However this book is very much focused on weaning, so just up to 12 months, and about specific worries you might have to do with that early period. She has also published other books which recommend both baby and toddler eating plans, and if money is tight you might want to order one of them instead.

The first 25 pages are detailed general advice on how to introduce new foods, understanding truths and myths, and in particular addressing special diets, a bit of advice for vegetarians and allergy issues. Then the rest of the book is divided into three sections: Stage one, up to six months; Stage two, six to nine months; and Stage three, 10 to 12 months.

Stage one has lots of information on preparing foods, what first foods should be, the specialness of the very first spoonful and how you should feed the baby. There are then about ten recipes as well as a number of purée suggestions.

Stage two has the most information: this is the section for a baby who has begun to eat quite well, and there are many different purée recipes such as Pumpkin and Pea, or Salmon and Corn Chowder. Also puddings, bringing the number of recipes in this section to about 25. These are proper recipes, which will take a little time to prepare, but there's also lots of advice about freezing and how to do all this relatively sensibly so you don't spend your whole life cooking tiny meals.

Finally, there's stage three, with another twenty or so recipes including chicken burgers, meatballs and fishfingers, and the idea here is to begin to get the child eating some things that you might actually be able to eat as well, so that the whole family are eating the same thing (always eventually her goal).

The whole book is really admirable, and inspiring. I enjoyed reading it and it made me feel motivated and excited to cook for the baby. There are a few things I would point out: one is that there are plenty of her books available secondhand, but weaning advice has changed a lot in the last decade and (for example) my sister-in-law has a Karmel book which advises on weaning at 4 months which is now not generally advised, so a brand new book would be the only one to contain up-to-date health advice.

Secondly, there's not much advice for the mum who is anxious about how much her baby is eating, if it's loads! There's only help for people whose babies aren't eating! Mine stuffs his face, and I couldn't find any recommendations about how many spoonfuls I should stop at, even if he's happy to keep opening his mouth...

Finally, my experience is that even if I homecook the food, with all organic ingredients, it's often not quite as tasty as the organic baby food you can buy from (say) Ella's Kitchen. In the end, I've served my baby both at each meal, and made little mixtures combining the two to really make the meal taste interesting, as the homemade food has a much better texture, but even with Annabel's help the bought food cannot be beaten on flavour, so far... Perhaps I need to source tastier ingredients :-)

Postscript, 31st October: I am now cooking from the 6-9 months section, and these are absolutely delicious, to the point where I've been making double quantities and serving the unpureed version for our grownup dinner. I never got the hang of making really good apple puree, but these meatier recipes come out a treat. Beef stew with sweet potato, cod cooked with spinach and potato, and the lentil and sweet potato dish have all been a great success as dinners for both us and the baby. Really, really tasty. And saves SUCH a lot of time to only cook once.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful, 30 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Weaning (Hardcover)
Being a first time mum, I like to get the basics of every situation without being bombarded with too much information and this book provided me with all the necessary answers I needed for weaning. The recipes are easy and varied and the menu planners makes the process of weaning easier by showing how and when to introduce foods. I would not hesitate to recommend this book to all mums at this important stage.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good if you are new to the weaning journey, 23 Feb. 2014
Bought this book when LO was 6 months as felt a little bit lost in the weaning jungle. Should I purée or should I use baby lead weaning (blw)? Was I a terrible mother as had let my little boy try food before six months or terrible as he was 5 and a half months so I was depriving him? The one thing I have definitely learnt so far in motherhood that whatever I do I always am in fear of being wrong - and this is where this book was best.

It's bright, cheerful and full of really easy to read information and facts about weaning and feels more like a supportive friend than a bossy nanny. A first for me was that it had suggested weeks menu plans so you can actually see how you build up a range of flavours at the beginning. Don't get me wrong, I didn't follow it precisely as I'm just not that kind of gal, but it helped me work out where I was going wrong (and more so, where I was going right).

A lot of people will but this book for the famous AK recipes, which are great, but certainly at the fist stage they're not rocket science - keep the nutrients in and salt out - but if you are not someone who cooks from scratch a lot it will be useful. Or, if you are like me and you do prepare veg at home a lot, it will reassure you that you are doing it right. Second stage recipes look more useful as is the advice on how to batch cook and store what you make so you're not constantly chained to the hand blender.

Something I'd not found elsewhere, was that each recipe said what goodness was in it - like beta-carotene or vitamin A. Also gives you advice not the balance of meals - protein, carbohydrates and fruit/veg so you don't think that a pure fruit purée diet is enough. This is very useful and I do use this in my menu planning as a quick guide as to whether the meal is right or not.

As for negatives, as with any recipe book the cost of ingredients varies and as to be expected there is a lot of plugging of other AK products to help you on your weaning journey.

Also, watch out who you buy this from. I purchased from a verified Amazon seller who sent me the American version of the book - cue lots of googling what rutabaga was and being amazed that pawpaw and guava are ubiquitous fruits in the States (I got a full refund btw as the copyright notice on the book pictured her is clearly for GB not US).

After being told by all my friends with babies that I didn't need to buy a weaning book as all the information was available not he internet, I really, really wish I had bought this book sooner. It armed me with all of the information in a bright, cheerful way and made me feel a lot more confident.

4.0 out of 5 stars good if you're committed to the puréeing, 24 July 2013
This review is from: Weaning (Hardcover)
I was recommended this book by my health visitor so obediently bought it, not really knowing there were other options out there and being too tired to think! This book is excellent for pureeing advice, although I do have a quibble with the first section being 'around 6 months' then the next '6-9 months' - I may be wrong, but it seems the book was simply edited to take out any reference to four months without any extensive rewriting. The book is clear, easy to follow and colourful with good recipe ideas.

Every baby is different but mine just wasn't enjoying his spoons, kept grabbing the spoon and crying if I didn't let him have it, I ended up using three spoons every time! He wanted more freedom. Then I heard about baby led weaning (nothing fancy, you basically put finger food in front of the baby and see if he wants it). I was sceptical, tried it for two days, by the end of the second he was loving it, no choking or any problems. I'm amazed!

So, while this book may be great for those dedicated to the pureeing, I've abandoned it after two weeks of torturing myself steaming and blending. For those of you who are similarly fed up, baby led weaning is great for those independently minded babies out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really useful, 18 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Weaning (Hardcover)
There are some really useful and handy tips in here and some great recipies. Definitely great for first time mums for different ideas.

4.0 out of 5 stars Essential, 30 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Weaning (Hardcover)
I found this book really useful when it came to starting weaning - you don't have to follow it to the letter but it gives good guidelines for what to cook and when. She also identifies with those who start the weaning process at 4 months. Easy to understand with step by step instructions and some lovely pics ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars Straight to the point, 6 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Weaning (Hardcover)
This book is great to get you straight to what you need to know about weaning. It also has some great recipes, things you wouldn't necessarily think to puree together for yourself. It is a great starter book for new parents.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great purchase, 3 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Weaning (Hardcover)
This was recommended to me by a few friends. It has very useful hints recipes and tips. A very good buy

4.0 out of 5 stars Weaning book review, 26 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Weaning (Hardcover)
The book was both useful and informative. The information within this book certainly helped when weaning my baby. I would have no hesitation recommending this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really useful, 19 Oct. 2010
R. Watkin - See all my reviews
This review is from: Weaning (Hardcover)
Able to use this book to guide weaning my baby. Great ideas for recipes adn instruction on stuff neeeded

Weaning
Weaning by Annabel Karmel (Hardcover - 1 July 2010)