Format: HardcoverChange

on 8 October 2001
If you want to maintain your garden but don't have the time to make this a full-time occupation (i.e. you are working full time!!) this is a super help - tells you what to plant, prune, lift, protect etc on a monthly basis. There is even a checklist at the beginning of each month. Just what I needed to make sure that I do the essential things at the right time, so that my garden looks good each year. Loads of lovely pictures, so this book also looks good on the coffee table...!
0Comment222 of 223 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 October 2004
This book is fantastic - month by month it tells you which tasks to carry out in your garden and how. This is absolutely priceless when you are new to gardening or when you are short of time (or both!), or it can even just act as a monthly reminder.
There is no complicated jargon but it isn't too simplistic either. The level of details is just right for an amateur gardener.
Each month is then broken down into various categories like Vegetable Garden, Greenhouse, etc... which makes it easier to find what you want. There are also bigger practical projects, like things to build for the garden.
The pictures of plants and flowers are beautiful which makes reading the book even more of a pleasure. And the price is right too, what mnore could one want?
Altogether a perfect book from the RHS!
0Comment115 of 118 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 September 2008
How did the author manage to make a gardening book so good? No wonder its endorsed by the RHS and I don't want to repeat the already very good reviews posted here?
Nothing to be done in the garden in January? Don't belive it take a look at the month at a glance guide. The perfect book in many ways, Star Plants of the Month see what you have to look forward to with stunning pictures, in those depressing dreary days of January turn the pages and feel the motivation return. It really is a good book if you buy as a gift buy two or you will never give the present away. I'm sure you will enjoy (its a little better than Alan Titchmarch's The Gardeners Year, sorry Alan).
0Comment42 of 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 December 2002
I have been looking for a gardening book to help me know just when to do things and this is it. The flower illustrations are excellent, the price is right and I am now buying a copy for my daughter in-law.
0Comment55 of 58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 June 2009
My Bible! I love this book. As a beginner I can figure out what to do and when. Great photographic index of plants. Well worth the money.
on 3 March 2009
A first class review of the tasks in the garden for the year. My wife is constantly telling me that we have missed a time window to plant this or prune that; with this book there is no excuse
on 11 November 2010
For someone who doesn't know the ABCs of gardening and who has inherited a small garden in her new home, this book is a Godsend. Well illustrated with clear instructions and thoughtful practical suggestions on what to do in what month, this book is perfect to keep you on top of things.
It also has a little plant index section at the back to familiarize you with popular plants that actually helped me identify at least four species of previously unknown plants to me in my tiny back garden. I'm sure I'll discover more over time.
Though I'm no radical convert to gardening, the book has certainly given me enough direction to take care of tasks that need the most attention. If you have a garden, this book should be on your priority books list.
on 9 January 2012
This is just what I needed to tell me all about gardening, since I am a novice yet now own a house with a big garden. It was all I wanted and more. Had I known how informative the book was before buying it, I would not have purchased the 'RHS encylopedia of plants and flowers' too. This is much more user friendly and gives plenty of information about different plants - enough for me anyway. I would thoroughly recommend 'Gardening through the year' to anyone who is new to gardening, or a keen gardener wanting more tips.
on 4 October 2004
The pictures of plants and flowers are beautiful which makes reading the book even more of a pleasure. And the price is right too, what more could one want?
Altogether a perfect book from the RHS!
0Comment22 of 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 October 2010
I bought this book as we have just moved into a house with a lot of garden and didn't know where to start. The schedule of work to do in each month is really clear and then followed by lots of tips and hints including really clear photo guides to technical bits like how to lift your dahlia, advice about the likely weather during the month, and suggested ways of getting ahead with future tasks. I also like that it isn't too regimented, with comments about things that can wait until another season. It also has lots of lovely plant suggestions. I have seen the smaller paperback condensed version but I think we will get a lot more out of this.