5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational
Published on 18 Sep 2010 by D. Howard

3.0 out of 5 stars Handy For Small Holders
If you are living on a smallholding with outbuildings, this is a useful starter guide. On the other hand, if you have bought/are renting a smallholding you probably know all this already? Although, there are good pages on kitchen crafts like breadmaking etc. Sadly, for most of us, the majority of skills discussed in this book will never be used due to not having the...
Published 22 days ago by R. Kerr

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 18 Sep 2010
D. Howard (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Practical Self Sufficiency (Hardcover)
Often oversize books appear on the bookshelves and never really get read, just browsed with most interest in the pictures. Not this one, I bought this book and read it from cover to cover, literally, on the day I bought it - non stop. It is both practical and inspirational and certainly made me want to trade in my current life for a life attempting self-sufficiency. Obviously there are a lot of topics covered, and often if you wanted to take it further you would have to do more research, but what this book gives you is the ideas to persue and the inspiration required, simply by the enthusiasm with which it is written. It is packed full of projects, small and large, that anyone could undertake - I loved the idea for the greenhouse heat sink, the solar dryer and the cold smoker - and one of the really great parts are the hand drawn plans for the various size gardens and workshop and what you could fit in there.
It inspired me so much that I have been looking at properties with more outside space and changing my future plans.
Can't recommend it highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars fab, 3 May 2011
This review is from: Practical Self Sufficiency (Hardcover)
I got this book as i have always been interested in a self sufficient life style, i grew up in a house that was a bit like the good life,(tho not as extreme, no animals) and have fond memories as a child helping my dad in the garden.
I have got the bug so badly now!I already have hens and grow a lot of fruit and veg, and currently trying to convince my husband to let me make an earth oven in the garden!
If this is your thing, this is the book for you, it is jam packed full of the best ideas,tho i have to warn you that its hard to dampen the desire to just get stuck in!
I wholeheartedly recomend this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Self-sufficiency - a good challenge, 30 Sep 2010
This review is from: Practical Self Sufficiency (Hardcover)
Great book with challenging ideas that do seem achievable.
It has put lots of ideas flowing through my head and I can;t look at a garden, back yard, field the same.
Very well presented layout in the book, and I am inspired to go and try some of the things.
Thanks,
B

5.0 out of 5 stars Money well spent., 10 Jun 2013
This review is from: Practical Self Sufficiency (Hardcover)
What a fantastic book. There's something for everyone here. It's helpful, enthusiastic, realistic and beautifully illustrated. The ideas are useful and lead to lateral thinking. It makes you want to get out there and dig!
I fully recommend this god-send of a book to all those who wish to create paradise in their back garden/window box/field/allotment. There is so much we can achieve with a little thought and a great deal of enthusiasm.
Wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars So practical & so very useful, 12 May 2013
This review is from: Practical Self Sufficiency (Hardcover)
Definitely well worth every penny - this book explains in detail so many different ways to save yourself money, as well as saving the planet ( all be it in a small way.) We have found it invaluable in planning our new allotment, and have already managed to harvest water in the middle of a field using just the slope of the land. Love the bits with the polytunnel & heat sinks, as well as advice on composting & companion planting. Just so very useful. Thanks Dick & James :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars practical self sufficiency - what a great book, 4 Mar 2012
Mrs. D. Roach "Di," (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Practical Self Sufficiency (Hardcover)
I first got this book from the library. It was so good I looked on Amazon to buy it. It has lots of different ways to help us to relearn skills our grandparents used to use all the time but we seem to have forgotten. I particularly liked the pages on cheese making, drying fruit herbs and vegetables, how to keep all different kinds of animals, and how to make all kinds of things around the house such as, a meat smoker, cold frame, greenhouse heat sink etc etc. Suggestions we can all benefit from. Well written and clear instructions with clear photo's.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 20 Feb 2013
This review is from: Practical Self Sufficiency (Hardcover)
Would highly recommend for beginners wanting to be self sufficient. Some great tips and ideas which are easy to do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring read, 12 July 2011
G. Wurr - See all my reviews
This review is from: Practical Self Sufficiency (Hardcover)
Anything that encourages and inspires this way of living as well as this gets a thumbs up from me. There seems to be a miriad of books on this subject now, but this is written from the soul for those that want inspiriation (and in my case, some help too!) Although some of the engineering projects are beyond my capabilities, there is more than enough to compensate. The book is packed with knowledge and explanations that even I can follow.

4.0 out of 5 stars Practical Self-suffficiency - Dick and James Smallbridge, 22 Oct 2010
This review is from: Practical Self Sufficiency (Hardcover)
This appears to be an update of the famous John Seymour book of the same title and follows a similar layout pattern. Based on the Strawbridge family's experiences at their Cornish mill and farm, it does quite a good job of bringing Seymour's philosophy to modern concerns about climate change, environmental damage and sustainability through exploiting the latest technology while complying with current legislation and standards. For me there are difficulties in following and executing all Dick Strawbridge's projects as my mindset couldn't be further from that of an engineer, but there are certainly a few ideas and tips I have found useful. If the Strawbridge enthusiasm helps to provoke concerns about the effects of modern lifestyles on the planet or convert people who have no experience of even growing their own food to a greener lifestyle then they will, in my view, have made a worthwhile contribution to the environmental cause.

However, there are glaring careless proof-reading errors which really irritated me, or in one case - the spelling of spate as "speight" - staggered me and spoilt the experience of reading this book. Nevertheless, I shall be referring to it from time to time, as I still do John Seymour's tome after all these years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great ideas and very practical, 29 Oct 2010
Ms. J. Howe "J Howe" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Practical Self Sufficiency (Hardcover)
I bought this as a present for my partner and he loves it. There is a a lot of information to absorb and lots of good practical things to do.

Practical Self Sufficiency
Practical Self Sufficiency by James Strawbridge (Hardcover - 23 Aug 2010)
8.00