4.0 out of 5 stars Review for Beijing only
I am glad to see this guide book has been updated as Beijing has been considerably modernised for the Olympic Games. The 2007 copy I had was already out of date in many respects.
Having said that, the photos and layout are excellent, as we have come to expect from Dorling Kindersley books, and we must have made use of almost all the well presented chapters.
The...
Published on 23 Feb 2010 by DubaiReader

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice looking and succinct guide, but inaccurate at times
I bought this book based on the reviews and because we our trip consisted of about 4 days each in Shanghai and Beijing, therefore a small guide covering both cities was perfect. At first, it looks like a great book. Compact and light, shiny strong cover that did not show signs of wear, small maps included within the guide, pictures and explanatory text.

We...
Published on 13 Jan 2011 by boneyem

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice looking and succinct guide, but inaccurate at times, 13 Jan 2011
This review is from: DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Beijing & Shanghai (Paperback)

We did, however, find the following problems when we tried to use it:
- On two occasions in Shanghai the guide suggested getting to places via the subway and then a bus or taxi. Both times, we found a subway station very close to where we wanted to be (Summer Palace and Tian Tan). I appreciate that this is a city that is expanding at a very fast rate and therefore it may be that these are new stations since publication in 2009, however it is not very helpful for the tourist.
- The restaurant recommendations are only in English. We tried to go to one of the suggested places in Beijing but there were only names in Chinese on the buildings. The guide gave the name of the road, but no the building number (these were all clearly displayed on the street and would therefore have enabled us to find the correct place).
- There was a suggestion for a place for dim sum. When we arrived in the evening, we were told that dim sum was only served for lunch and not dinner.
- The guide suggests that restaurants are open until late. In practice, most places close at about 9pm and are quite rude about kicking you out!
- The maps were very useful a lot of the time, however the location of subway stations was not terribly accurate. Several times we found ourselves walking for ages trying to locate and entrance to the trains.

I still recommend DK guides in general (as I have used them in the past on other trips) but would suggest customers get a more detailed up-to-date map and thoroughly check before setting out to visit any restaurant or tourist attraction.

4.0 out of 5 stars Review for Beijing only, 23 Feb 2010
DubaiReader "MaryAnne" (Rowlands Castle, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Beijing & Shanghai (Paperback)
The section on restaurants was particularly helpful.
We did come unstuck though, when we tried to follow the Two-hour walk around Hou Hai (P 100). We got very lost and unfortunately missed many of the attractions en route. Certainly a tour worth following if you can get it right and it ends in an area where there are some wonderful evening watering holes!

It is worth noting the small comment on P 227 (of my copy) where you will find the warning relating to rickshaws "be careful if tempted to take these in Beijing or Shanghai - they frequently target tourists for substantial rip-offs". We were told the price would be 3 yuan and when we arrived, not even at our correct destination, the price had suddenly soared to 300 yuan!
Also note: Most travellers will probably be carrying Pounds, Euros or Dollars, which are readily exchanged. Coming from Dubai, however, we had Dirhams - which were impossible to exchange in any hotel or bank.

One problem I did find with the book was that it covered both Beijing and Shanghai and as we were only visiting Beijing, we were carrying a much heavier book around town with us than should have been necessary. I personally would have preferred the two cities to have been published separately.

So, excellent illustrations and very thorough but with some reservations.
I will certainly consider DK Travel Guides in the future.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good two-cities guide, 15 Aug 2010
Paul Parrack (Havant, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Beijing & Shanghai (Paperback)
Planning to visit both Beijing and Shanghai, I found this book an ideal guide. Good pictures, excellent maps, and plenty of useful and interesting information to enable you to get the most from a few days' visit.
And all conveniently packaged in one slim volume, easy to pack and carry around

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book but beward of map!, 15 May 2010
This review is from: DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Beijing & Shanghai (Paperback)
This book ticked most of the boxes for my recent visit to Shanghai and Beijing. Well-illustrated and good historic background, as well as contemporary information. However, I spent a while completely lost in Beijing looking for a subway station that was indicated clearly on the map, but was not there in reality! This may have been an unfortunate one-off, but I did loose my confidence in the maps section as a result, and not sure how good local maps are in this respect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Holiday plans to Beijing, China., 17 Jun 2009
Mr. T. Allen - See all my reviews
This excellent guide has been of enormous help for my forthcoming holiday to Beijing with my wife for our 20th wedding anniversary. Restricted as we will be for time and cost, the book gives clear details of where to go, what to see, and a very useful time scale to allow for each place.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for people who prefer visual information, 14 July 2014
Really good book. As a visual learner prefer the way in which information is showed not only as a text but also pictures. And because "1 picture means more than 100 words" having more than 1000 pictures in this guide it could be quite thin.

5.0 out of 5 stars DK at Best, 15 Oct 2013
DK are consistently the best travel guides on the market with good layout and informative information and top must see items identified

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad book - but in hindsight, you don't really need a book that shows you the things you are going to see anyway, 29 Sep 2013
This is a well written book, but I found this was not as useful as a very similar book by a competitor.

It was a nice size, well laid out.

However, I found that the abundance of pictures actually wasn't what I was after once I was actually in China. I found that a more concise book with minimal pictures was more useful as you get more information in the same amount of pages. The pictures are nice, but not necessary when the reason you are visiting a particular place is to see it with your own eyes - and so the pictures become a little bit redundant

5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensable., 10 May 2013
Anthony H West (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
We walked around with it, felt lost whenever it was not close at hand and were delighted with everything it suggested. The format (a mix of pictures and text that feels like an interact tablet screen) suits our current short-attention-span mindset far better than anything I could have imagined - for a book.

One of the best guides I've ever bought and used.

5.0 out of 5 stars enables you to imagine your desination in advance, 3 May 2013
First class, like all the DK guides I've come across. The lavish illustrations allow you to imagine your destination, the maps are excellent, and the words always apposite. You'll have gathered than I'm an Insight Guides fan!

DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Beijing & Shanghai
DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Beijing & Shanghai by Peter Neville-Hadley (Paperback - 1 Nov 2009)
Used & New from: 0.01