5.0 out of 5 stars Tomato Lover's Delight
Published on 10 Jun. 2009 by Poppy

3.0 out of 5 stars A PRESENT FOR A GARDENER FRIEND
I have a friend who grows lots of tomatoes and she often gives me green ones at the end of the summer so I can make chutney. I think she found it useful.
Published 13 months ago by Mrs. Claire Lambert

5.0 out of 5 stars Tomato Lover's Delight, 10 Jun. 2009
This review is from: The Tomato Book: a Guide to the Pleasures of Choosing, Growing, and Cooking (Hardcover)
A delightful reference book full of useful facts and information for both the beginner and the experienced tomato grower. I have grown various tomatoes over the years, but there are many varieties documented in this book that I am looking forward to growing. This is a great book to sit and read or just to refer to whenever tomato growing problems arise or you need advice. There is lots of information on different tomato varieties, ranging from those we all know, such as Moneymaker, to much more unusual varieties, such as Japanese Black Trifele. Other sections include different ways to grow, pollination, diseases, troubleshooting and many more. Each chapter is fully illustrated with colourful photos. Finally, a lovely chapter at the end with delicious tomato recipes. I thoroughly recommend this book to any tomato grower.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thorough, Useful and Beautiful, 7 Jun. 2009
This book is a beautifully designed guide to everything you need to know about growing tomatoes. It has opened my eyes to just how many varieties there are out there and i have really enjoyed hunting down some of the rarer seeds on the internet. The book's easy to follow instructions have provided me with a forest of seedlings from the eclectic 'Green Sausage' to the unusual 'Black Russian'. Though the majority of the book is dedicated to choosing your tomatoes and growing them, it also has an inspiring collection of interesting recipes, such as Tomato and Mascarpone Ice Cream with Raspberries and Tomato and Lemon Marmalade, which is absolutely delicious!

My copy of the book is now well fingered and has been my bible for this season - I thoroughly recommend you buy it and get growing before the season is out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 14 Jun. 2011
Marand - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This is a brilliant little book. I have been growing tomatoes, particularly heirloom varieties, for the last couple of years. I saw this book and got it primarily because it included an extensive section covering tomato varieties so that I could add a few more varieties to my range. There is a picture of each variety so you can select different shapes & colours, plus good information detailing the time from planting to maturity, high yielding varieties, reliability, suggestions for varieties suitable for particular climates, comments on flavour & sweetness. That said, although the listing is extensive it isn't complete and a few of the heirloom varieties which I have tried with success were missing (for example, Vintage Wine and Lemon Tree).

There is also plenty of useful advice about growing tomatoes whether outdoors, under glass, in the ground in the garden or in growbags, containers and hanging baskets. The book also covers pests and diseases, grafting, saving seeds and creating your own varieties.

I was also very happy to find a few recipes for things to do with your tomatoes - tomato borscht, chutneys, salsa, roasted tomato & garlic soup, a simple tomato & gruyere tart, panade, several salads, even tomato & mascarpone ice cream, tomato marmalade.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Tomato Book, 17 July 2009
The Perfect book for the tomato lover. This book contains more information than you could imagine. An absolute must for anyone interested in tomatoes, includes historical facts, cultivation, grafting techniques, 160 varieties, recipes and preserving tips. Beautiful colour photographs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Reference Book, 5 Feb. 2011
Mr. M. Jones (England) - See all my reviews
This book contains just about everything I have ever wanted to know about tomatoes. The opening sections give on the pros and cons of different tomato plant attributes. There is a large section (about a third of the book), which gives information on various varieties. These are categorised into types of tomato (beefsteak, cherry etc), and for each there is a photograph of the fruit and a little information, such as the growth habit, optimum climate and whether it is an heirloom, hybrid or F1 hybrid. For many there is also a little history and other information such as disease resistance and flavour. There are a lot of varieties covered here (160 according to the back of the book), many of which are old heirloom tomatoes. I have been growing heirloom tomatoes for a couple of years now, and there are many varieties in here that I had never heard of, but the few I have learned of and subsequently tried to source on the internet, I have been able to find.

There are also non-variety-specific sections on germinating, pinching out sideshoots, crop rotations, good companions, mulching, grafting, cross-pollinating to breed your own varieties and seed-saving, to name but a few; each section complete with photos and instructions. There is also a section on diseases, along with photos and symptom charts to help you to diagnose your plants. Finally there is a collection of recipes, including soup, ketchup, ice cream and marmalade.

Other reviewers have commented that this book would not be of use to the experienced grower. Whilst I agree that this is true for many of the subjects, I believe that there is still a lot here that would be of interest to such growers. Many experienced home growers that I have spoken to don't save their own seeds. Although there is only a short section in this book on the subject, it contains as much as advice as I have read in other books, just in fewer words. I also think experienced growers would benefit from the details about the extensive individual varieties covered in this book, details that, certainly for some of the rarer varieties, I haven't been able to find online.

I have found this to be very useful reference book that that is benefitial all year round. Even during the months when I have no plants growing, it is great for flicking through to decide which varieties to grow in the coming months. I would certainly recommend this book to anybody interested in growing their own tomatoes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easily the best book on tomato growing and varieties I have come across., 2 April 2010
I cannot recommend this book highly enough. Beyond advice on picking out side-shoots, the information on growing tomatoes is fairly sparse in most gardening books, and it is often a problem to get your tomatoes to ripening stage before the first frosts if you do not have a greenhouse.

Beautifully illustrated with information about and photographs of 160 different varieties, this book is really a pleasure to read, particularly during the long non-growing season. As another reviewer has pointed out, you will find few of these varieties in your local garden centre, so be prepared to grow them from seed, and this book, along with an internet search, will point you in the direction of the source of many interesting varieties, particulary those which are most likely to be very successful in your area, especially if you live in, say, Northern Ireland, the North of England or Scotland, where the season is not long enough for many of the best-known varieties. The growing period is given for each variety discussed in the book and this is particularly important if you don't have a greenhouse, and you may need to know about varieties of tomato like Alaskan Fancy (55 Days) , Black Krim, Black Russian, Sub-Arctic Plenty etc. which are suitable for colder climates or shorter summers. Whether you fancy bush or cordon, globe, cherry, beefsteak, plum or "weird and wonderful" this is the book for you. Whether you want your tomatoes for soups, sauces, bottling, salads or whatever, the information on flavour, growing, cooking etc. is all there, engagingly written and beautifully illustrated with brilliant photographs

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read and understand. Wish I had bought it sooner, 7 Jun. 2010
It wasn't until I started wondering whether I was doing things right, that I decide to look online and found this book.

Only trying my hand for the first time this year at gardening and growing my own, a complete novice. I wish I had bought this book before I started it all a while ago. However, I have a lot better idea of how to go about it for next year, thanks to this book.

Plus the advice on which varieties to grow is going to have me ordering some fun seeds next year!

Also a very easy book to read, even for a complete beginner like myself.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Tomato Book, 25 Sept. 2009
This book will not teach you how to grow tomatoes, but is a great guide to helping you how to choose the best
variety for your needs and the growing conditions in yor part of the country. It also contains a guide to the various forms of diseases and remedies which affect toms. As a newcomer to growing tomatoes i found it a good informative help, but not for the experienced

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 15 Jan. 2010
I purchased this book for a Christmas present for my Granddad who grows lots of tomatoes every year; however I did have a good look at it before I gave it to him.

Clear & concise pictures, lots of variety's of tomatoes to grow, good advice on different growing methods & recipes.

He was very pleased with the book and it has given him lots of information on growing different types with different methods for the year ahead.

Nice book!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great tomato refernce book, 15 Nov. 2009
N. E. Bowker (England) - See all my reviews
A great book - We just grow specific varieties to eat, (and freeze the surplus for breakfasts in the winter) and one I like was unnamed, as it came from seeds via a friend. I finally identified as Brandywine - and got some ideas for others to grow in the future.
Nelson Bowker

The Tomato Book: a Guide to the Pleasures of Choosing, Growing, and Cooking
The Tomato Book: a Guide to the Pleasures of Choosing, Growing, and Cooking by Sofia Larrinua-Craxton (Hardcover - 1 May 2009)
Used & New from: £4.36