5.0 out of 5 stars A lot for the Allotment
I bought this for my wife who had just taken on her first allotment. This has been a very helpful and insightful book. It covers when to plant, what you can plant, how to plant and everything to do with when and how.

If you are just starting out, then this is an excellent guide book to begin with.

I'm looking forward to the first harvest, a true...
Published on 8 Jun 2009 by Mra M. Hedges

3.0 out of 5 stars decent overview but lacks depth
I feel like it's useful to have a month by month guide. I find this book at times a bit repetitive and although nicely ordered do prefer a more in depth and personally written guide.
Published 15 months ago by *

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for beginners, 5 May 2009
A. Williams "Barry Fan" (Wales UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Allotment Month by Month (Hardcover)
My son bought me this for my birthday as I have recently acquired an allotment, this is very up to date and easily explained. Another good buy

5.0 out of 5 stars a good reference, 19 July 2009
This review is from: Allotment Month by Month (Hardcover)
As a new person to gardening as regards veg etc This book is very helpful I would recommend it

5.0 out of 5 stars allotment month by month, 30 Oct 2011
This review is from: Allotment Month by Month (Hardcover)
I bought this book for my son who has just got an allotment. He is absolutely thrilled with the book, giving information month by month. Especially coming to winter telling him what he should be planting. As he is new to all the different planting times etc. he is very pleased with the information.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear and precise, 30 Nov 2011
This review is from: Allotment Month by Month (Hardcover)
I saw this book at a relative's house - who runs a garden centre! She really rated it so I ordered it straight away (after a quick perousal). I find it great for quick reference and 'what jobs should I be doing!'. I'd thoroughly recommend it

5.0 out of 5 stars confused!!! look no further, 9 May 2010
librarygirl (lincolnshire, england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Allotment Month by Month (Hardcover)
I'm into my 3rd year gardening on my allotment and somehow just couldn't get my head around when seeds needed to be sown, veggies planted out what to do when and where, what to look out for and when things should be ready. Then I found this book and I'm saved. It goes thru every month telling you in clear simple terms what to do and when to do it, it makes growing your own food so easy, its my bible and I am constantly looking in it for my next instructions. I have a feeling this year I'm going to have a bumper crop. I can't recommend this book enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars My man Buckingham has done it again!, 22 Mar 2013
This review is from: Allotment Month by Month (Hardcover)
This is one of the most handiest and well written gardening books I have seen for a while. This is exactly how I would have written it! So easy to follow and contians the pertienent information for all classes of allotmenters/growers from amateurs to experts. EASY.....You have your book, you find the relevant month, you pop in your book mark and voila, step by step instructions for the coming month and a list of your up and coming chores. The useful reminders about what to do in advnce are themselves time (and life) savers. How could such a boring cover contain such exciting text, well this one does and to say I am impressed is an understatament. Mr Buckingham hats off to you sir!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent guide, 16 Feb 2012
Mr. A. Hampson "Mr Al" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Allotment Month by Month (Hardcover)
Being a novice to the world alloments my first year when I took over my allotment was very hit and miss in results, (alot of miss.)
This guide explains topics in simple to understand and follow articles. It is structured as per the title a month by month walk through of what jobs are required for the best results to be attained.
The book is full of clear photos so there cannot be any confusion as to how things should look.
I am currently in the process of applying the advice and hope for a fruitful year ahead.

well worth the money

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for beginners, 4 April 2010
Sue H "Sunshine Suzzy" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Allotment Month by Month (Hardcover)
This book has a good overview of the basics, considering a plot, weather, layout, tools, crop roations and so on. There is a section what to do each month, and what can be harvested that month, and what to sow. Switch then to the section on individual veg and fruit for tips on growing and trouble shooting. There are some very nice pictures, but they are lacking in the section where needed most. (Why do so few books have a photo of potato blight there are lots of things that make leaves go brown?) Fewer or smaller photos would be a good exchange for more information, which would take this book from good to a definitive guide. At 343 pages there is more info than the RHS allotment guideThe RHS Allotment Handbook: The Expert Guide for Every Fruit and Veg Grower but does not have quite the same breadth of topics.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Beginner's Bible, 22 Dec 2013
This review is from: Allotment Month by Month (Hardcover)
I cannot recommend this book highly enough. It is an ideal book for the complete novice to even the veteran vegetable grower.

I bought this book when I began my journey into veg growing a number of years ago now and it has served me well. Throughout that time, I have purchased many more books on gardening and veg growing and I still find myself coming back to this book, time and time again. It is a well laid out book, which goes through each month and explains the jobs that can be done in that particular month including what fruit and veg to sow, plant, harvest and jobs to be completed like pruning etc.

In addition the breakdown of monthly chores, it has a crop planner section on vegetables, herbs and fruit where it lays out in detail crop by crop, all you need to know including when to sow indoors, plant out and harvest. It lists the best varieties of each crop to grow, tips on planting (planting distances etc.) and tips on growing including any diseases to watch out for.

It is a very easy book to navigate which is great as you can dip in and out whenever you need it. For these reasons, it is my reference book of choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Allotment book, 11 Nov 2013
This review is from: Allotment Month by Month (Hardcover)
The book looks exactly what I will need to help me with the development of my new allotment. Clear,straightforward and very informative.

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

Allotment Month  by Month
Allotment Month by Month by Alan Buckingham (Hardcover - 1 April 2009)