This little board book is a really good size for older babies and toddlers to hold. The pictures of animals are plentiful, bright and clear and there's lots of variation in type: giant animals, farm animals, baby animals, birds etc grouped together on a double-page spread.

An ideal book to read to children who are at the 'looking for words' stage of pointing to everything and waiting for a grown-up to identify it. But be warned, if you go through all the animals identifying the noises they make as well, there are several where you're likely to find yourself stumped... as the broad selection of creatures included goes far beyond the basics!
on 3 September 2010
I bought this book for my granddaughter on her first birthday who is now 18 months old and she loves it. Nearly everyday she brings it to me and we sit quietly looking at the pictures and repeating the animal names, many of which she can now identify herself.
on 14 February 2015
Not at all what I was expecting for a babies FIRST introduction to animals. How often is a 16 month gong to see a Scallop, Clam, Armadillo, or a Thorny Devil, Hawkfish, Postman Caterpillar,Lion Fish, Porcupine Fish or be expected to remember them. Its a well made solid book, small enough for tiny hands. Its just the contents of the book I have a problem with. If your wanting the basic Cat, Dog, Cow, Pig etc this is not the book for you.
on 11 July 2011
my little daughter and i just love looking through this book, pointing, naming, growling, miaowing.
this book is extremely solid and tough. it would be a very determined child who could rip this one
on 25 July 2015
Best book ever!!! It's great because it's small, the pictures are clear and bright and there's an awful lot of fun stuff to look at and learn about in this book!! Very sweet little book, my eighteen month old daughter loves it!!
on 2 December 2012
Well made with good photo's. I bought it to look at with my grandson who's 14 months old and likes animals, as well as turning pages over in books. This has some really good photo's and he really likes it but, just as some reviewers have mentioned, there are too many pictures on each page. Also, some of the animals in it are a bit odd (eg ribbon eel, hawkfish etc) and hard to relate to. Apart from that I'd definitely recommend it.
on 1 March 2015
Lovely quality book, with hard wipe clean pages and loads of animal pictures, some very esoteric! My 3 and 2 year olds absolutely love this book, it's also quite small so a great size for taking out and about.
on 27 July 2014
I love DK picture books. Their brightly coloured, clear, real photos make them my instant go-to for babies and toddlers.
Great for encouraging language skills and being a board book they have a good shelf life.
I've worked with children for over 16 years and they're always a hit.
on 3 February 2014
My 18 month old knows most animals in this book, she loves it as it has photographs rather than drawings, also as it is quite small its perfect for taking out and about for a bit distraction at a resturant or in car for example
on 19 November 2013
I have ordered this book after having it as a library book, my initial thoughts were what a strange collection of animals and it wasn't what I had expected. However my daughter, 22 months, loves it and it is one of her favourite reads and she now recognises starfish, vultures, pelicans and many other animals in addition to the standard zoo and farm animals, which are also in this book. I have just received confirmation that our copy has been dispatched, which means that our very overdue library copy can eventually be returned.