on 23 June 2005
The layout of the Eyewitness Travel Guides is outstanding; they separate cities by areas and color code each area, with tabs on the side of the book to make the area easy to find. There is a map of all the central color coded areas on the inside of the front cover, and inside the back cover, a more complete map of the region.
Each chapter is a "color", covering Back Bay and South End, Beacon Hill and West End, North End and the Waterfront, Old Boston and Financial District, and Chinatown and the Theater District.
There is a final "Farther Afield" chapter that covers Cambridge, the JFK Library and Museum, as well as his birthplace, which is a fascinating, small house in Brookline, the Museum of Fine Arts, the U.S.S. Constitution in Charlestown, and much more.
For those like me who can't live without maps, there are plenty of them. Each chapter starts with an area map that has numbered location markers, and other pages have highway and train maps, a six page "Street Finder", and more.
As well as information on all the sights to see in this great city, you get "The History of Boston", "Boston Through the Year", "Travelers' Needs", with hotels, restaurants, entertainment, etc. A "Survival Guide" that covers emergency, banking, and practical concerns, and is a must for any foreign visitors to the city, ends this most useful of all guide books.
I lived in the Boston area for many years, and appreciated its rich history and beauty, and there is no single guide that represents the city as well as this one.
With sturdy construction and terrific photography, reproduced on thick, glossy pages, if you're travelling to Boston, or any major city (I also have the Chicago, San Francisco, and New York City books), Eyewitness Travel Guides are the first, and maybe the only, guide book you'll need.
on 14 June 2009
These Top Ten Guides are so handy for short city trips. It provides a great taster for Boston. The book neatly find in your handbag or large pocket and provide useful information, facts and hints for your stay. Things to do and what not to do, where to stay, historical facts and walks, what to do with the kids, what to eat and so much more.

However, this starter guide is not a replacement for its big brother/sister which will provide you with greater detail and a stronger flavour of your chosen destination.
on 6 June 2011
Having just returned from my first visit to Boston this book was a lifeline. We stayed in the Back Bay area of Boston and spent 4 nights in this gorgeous city.

The book was a fantastic base to give us ideas what are the must sees in the area and to make the most of the short time we had here.

The fold out map is very useful and was easy to read. Highly recommended : )
on 9 March 2009
I have several of these Eyewitness Guides. This one does not disappoint.
Lots of easily accessible infomation accompanied by useful pictures that help so much when you're trying to find somewhere.
The books are pocket-sized too - if you've got reasonably big pockets!
Perfect for forward planning and handy when you're there.
on 21 March 2009
To be honest you can't do better than DK guides. I never go to any city on holiday or business without one. They are very clear, great visually and informative in the extreme. Boston meets the standard and I look forward even more now to my holiday later this year.
on 23 May 2009
Just the job!

Slips nicely into the pocket not only for a quick reference but also saves on valuable baggage weight! Afterall, you can collect plenty of toursit info when you get there.

No sacrificing of the high DK stadards either.
on 7 November 2010
I took this guide on a trip to Boston recently.

Pros:
* lightweight
* most key places to visit included
* some nice photos

Cons:

* very badly organised with information all over the place in no logical order.

In short, it was small and easy to have in my bag as I wandered around, but very difficult to dip in to. I had to sit down and read it from cover to cover to find out what I wanted to know in advance. That's not what I want in a guide. I want to be able to easily flick through and find what I want.

I wouldn't really recommend it to be honest.
on 7 January 2010
I am a huge fan of purchasing a guide book for an area before visiting it for the first time and this book is a must read if you are planning your first trip to Boston.

We went to Boston for Christmas - a time when very little was open. It's detailed guide enabled us to find all attractions easily and in a walkable distance without the need to pay out any expensive taxi fares over the holiday period.

If their other books for other areas are as detailed I will buy this brand everytime!
on 19 October 2010
These are without doubt the best guides. Always enjoy the choice of 3 walks around town. They have spot on advice and don't swamp you with too much info or history, just the right amount. Also hotel, restaurant and emergency numbers plus other useful info. Can't recommend them highly enough, I really rely on them when I'm traveling.
on 7 February 2010
Boston (DK Eyewitness Top 10 Travel Guide)
This is the perfect book for getting to know Boston. We are flying into Boston from New York and spending 5 days in the city. So the DK book has been invaluable in planning our days.
I find DK publications to be great quality whatever you're looking for.