4.0 out of 5 stars Dip into this book, 16 Mar. 2009
Sophy Osman (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Evolution Revolution (Hardcover)
Visually very appealing in the typical DK style - lots of pictures and the pages are broken up into little pieces of text in different fonts so it is easy for children to dip into. I'd say that they won't learn the whole story from this, but it gives them enough to become interested. In my opinion some of it is way over the head of an 8-year old (e.g. genetics, cloning) and the vocabulary is quite advanced, so I needed to sit down and read it together with my children to explain more. I'd say it is best suited to older children 9+, and very well laid out and illustrated.

5.0 out of 5 stars you wouldn't adam and eve it!, 15 July 2012
Ms K Shipley (Swindon, Wiltshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Evolution Revolution (Hardcover)
When my six year old daughter came home from school, very excited because she knew who the first ever man was (adam), I decided that I needed to show her the other side of the story and looked online for something that could explain evolution to a six year old and assumed I wouldn't as It's quite complicated. However, this book got such good reviews I ordered it.
My daughter sat down, absolutely entranced, and read the book. She jumped pages, backwards and forwards, she asked for explanations about things and enjoyed it. I think It's the latter that is most important. It's so much easier to learn when we enjoy things.
And now she has school's Adam and Eve information and this wonderful book about evolution she can make her own, informed choice about what to believe.

5.0 out of 5 stars MY BOOK, 18 Mar. 2009
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Evolution Revolution (Hardcover)
I found this book very interesting, and found out lots of things I did not know. Harry Webb aged 10.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting book, 5 April 2009
This review is from: Evolution Revolution (Hardcover)
I bought this book for my 8 year old son after he showed an interest in Darwin {he had been watching the series on TV} There were various book on offer for his age but when I saw this one written by Robert Winston I knew it would be worth the money ~ guess what I was right! Clearly written, great illustrations, answered my son's questions in a way I couldn't. His dad and grandad have also been seen reading it and learning from it. My son really likes how the animals have evolved and he is teaching us a thing or two!

5.0 out of 5 stars impressively up to date account of evolution, 13 April 2009
Andrew Dalby "ardalby" (oxford) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Evolution Revolution (Hardcover)
As you expect with DK books it is well illustrated and clearly presented text. This is ideal as a first book that describes evolution. The book is well balanced and examines the development of the theory as well as the current viewpoint. What surprised me most as someone who works in the field is how up to date it is. It covers cloning, the potential problems of losing biological diversity and also epigenetics (although it does not use the technical terms). It does not go into dogma and shows how the ideas themselves have evolved and gives alternative opinions from a historical perspective.

This is an excellent book that children can enjoy as well as learn from.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but layout could be better., 17 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Evolution Revolution (Hardcover)
I bought this book to read to our 7 year old daughter. She devours David Attenborough and was getting puzzled about the whole "descended from apes" bit. Well, she now knows that the phrase "descended from apes" is incorrect, and has a much better understanding on the basic conceptions of evolution. She also knows how to charm worms, and how to do genetic research on tolerant relatives. The latter knowledge comes from some of the practical experiments dotted throughout the book.

Its not all sweetness and light though. Some key concepts get fudged a bit, such as why its best not to pollenate yourself if you are a plant. As far as the book is concerned, its best not to pollenate yourself because it is better to be pollenated by something else. Well, it was phrased a bit better than that, but still left my daughter puzzled until I explained it further. The "Why" in science is always the toughie. So be prepared to answer plenty of questions. Look up the answer if you aren't sure. Don't just guess!

I dinged a star because I wasn't that keen on the layout. Sometimes the story on a particular double-page, will start at the bottom of the page, or in a side panel, and it isn't always apparant where the start is. So you may inadvertently begin half way through the article. On more than one occasion I would find myself explaining a term only to find a box explaining the same term on another part of the page. I can see why they have a jazzy layout, but I think in some instances they got carried away.

If you are of the religeous persuasion, the various Creation stories get a mention, and are treated as just that. Stories. There is no judgement on the presence or absence of God, so unless you are a fundamentalist, you can read this to your child without turning them into a devout atheist.

All in all this book served its purpose, and will no doubt do so again when our girl rereads it herself in a couple of years time. It could be better but it does a fairly decent job.

4.0 out of 5 stars Darwin for kids, 16 Mar. 2009
T. Kett (Nr Norwich, UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Evolution Revolution (Hardcover)
This book is perfect for children that so frequently ask "why". Many answers in a style for children of all ages up to 70! Excellent.
The Evolution Revolution

4.0 out of 5 stars Evolution Revolution, 10 April 2009
This review is from: Evolution Revolution (Hardcover)
This new book from Robert is both informative, and fun to read. A wealth of information for inquisitive minds, but given in a format that isn't too heavy. The topics covered are often conveyed in a traditional book format containing a lot of text. This isn't and is a joy to read, or use for reference with school work. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fanatastic visual exploration of evolution!, 11 Mar. 2009
Teena Kamen (West Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Evolution Revolution (Hardcover)
This beautifully illustrated book explains the theory of evolution in an interesting and clear way. The book sets out the ideas of evolution 'from Darwin to DNA' in a very accessible way - not just for children but also for their parents, especially those who didn't quite get what their biology teacher was on about in school!

5.0 out of 5 stars evolution revolution, 10 Mar. 2009
Mrs. S. J. Griffiths (Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Evolution Revolution (Hardcover)
The book stands up to it's expectation and is suitable and informative for the whole family.I am very pleased with it and will buy further copies for friend's birthday presents.

Evolution Revolution
Evolution Revolution by Robert Winston (Hardcover - 2 Feb. 2009)