5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent well presented DIY book for the beginner
Published on 30 Sept. 2006 by Mr. Scott J. Stretton

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay but parhaps too simple
Very well made, nice illustrations and easy to follow instructions. However, as a real handy guide I think it fails. Can perhaps give inspiration, but does not help you in any real problems, unless you want to build a wall. One example which I find odd, is that it does not really inform about measurements like how thick something (e.g. insulation) are recommended. This is...
Published 13 months ago by Jon

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent well presented DIY book for the beginner, 30 Sept. 2006
Having just bought my first house I knew that the time was going to come when i needed a DIY book. I saw this book purely by mistake through a work book club and was instantly impressed with how laid out it was. It seemed to cover everything around the home from strucutre of the modern house to building walls, floors, repairing wood, painting, fitting and even how to make your house more energy and heat efficient.

Well for me this answered everything I was looking for, well sized pictures and good descriptions to help me (someone with very basic DIY knowledge). It seemed like the book was showing trade secrets that you could do yourself instead of paying someone ££££ to do. (dependant on how well you pull it off)

One thing that did amuse me in all the book covered was even how to replace cupboard handles, so it really is written for beginner upwards and goes into quite extensive projects that I perhaps would not try at my level of experience, eg building a new ceiling. But who knows, start off small and work up. Well worth the purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars DIY; Know-how with Show-how, 24 April 2006
At last an up to date and easy to follow DIY book - not just pages of text - there are photos showing you how to do different projects around the home with simple explanations. I found this book really helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars A really helpfull book, 20 April 2006
This is the first book that has realy covered all the bases. Up to date information with loads of really clear photos and easy to follow steps. It's really has given me the confidence to tackle some of the jobs around the house.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book!, 8 Jan. 2008
Mr. K. R. Clarke "Kristian" (London) - See all my reviews
I thought I was quite a handy man around my home and managed to renovate a terraced house recently, to a hopefully quite high standard. I thought the last thing I needed this christmas was another DIY book, but decided to give it a read anyway. I can honestly say that I have learned as much again from this book as I learned through my own endevours before.

I have had a couple of 'eureka' moments, realising how even a simple task should be done correctly, rather than just hoping for the best.

The photos are so clear, that I would now attempt previously scary tasks such as laying a (small) carpet, hanging doors, and the holy grail - plastering!

This book will pay for itself a hundred times over and is highly reccomended (from someone who already owns 3 other DIY manuals!!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Really like this book, 14 April 2006
Great book! You can see them doing the job from beginning to end, there's a photo of everything. The book looks really good, really modern design. It makes you want to do more DIY!

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 25 Dec. 2011
This review is from: DIY (2nd edition): Know-how with show-how (Hardcover)
The book was delivered early and packaged very well. In review of this book from a novices prospective it is ideal, the explanations were really precise and worded so that anyone could understand the processes. The graphical (pictures) showed exactly what was needed and hoe it was to happen, all in all, it is a great book for everybody interested in DIY.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for all levels of experience, 3 Jan. 2011
This review is from: DIY (2nd edition): Know-how with show-how (Hardcover)
An excellent, informative book for what ever the level of your DIY knowledge. Covers a vast range of topics with good illustrations. Includes what tools you may need for each job, detailed instructions and advice. Divided into good sections which makes it incredibly easy to navigate straight to the section you need whether it is plumbing, electrics etc.

A hardcover book and good quality so know need to worry about it perishing.

Haven't got a bad thing to say about this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book showing most aspects of DIY around the home, 4 Sept. 2006
This is full of photos and illustrations and I found easy to follow advice. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars This WILL save you money, 27 Oct. 2011
Mr. G. Manning "Harry's Dad" (Hemel Hempstead, Herts, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: DIY (2nd edition): Know-how with show-how (Hardcover)
I always thought DIY was best avoided and that home improvement / repairs would remain a mystery.

I saw a friend's one night and thought I need to one of these. He is a carpenter by trade and still found it useful.

If you learn how to do 1 thing in this book and either fix or create something from this book then you've instantly saved money and the book has paid for itself.

Here's a few examples of things I've learned and done so far:
- understood basic house electrics
- installed an outside security floodlight (twice at different houses)
- added a 1 gang mains wall socket
- learned how to paint panel interior doors so gloss looks professional
- learned how to decorate a room in the right order
- fixed leaking taps
- fixed a large hole in a stud (plasterboard) wall I accidentally made with my foot
- attaching things to walls (how to use rawplugs / what screws to use)
- replaced locks on a front door, outside gate and patio doors
- installed security bolts on doors

It clearly lays out each section nicely starting with the tools you need for the job, how to build something from scratch to the "problem solver" section which you'll use a lot.

Every room in the house is covered as well as outdoor space eg building decking, building walls, paths etc.

You won;t be disappointed with this book if you know nothing about DIY or have some basic skills and want to take it to the next level.

5.0 out of 5 stars A DIY must!, 11 Jan. 2015
This review is from: DIY (2nd edition): Know-how with show-how (Hardcover)
This is a really handy book to have around the house. I bought it when I purchased my first ever house thinking that it would be useful to do the little job here and there. I have had two different editions of this now. First off, it's a real tomb and once you peer inside you will realise why. It pretty much covers every single eventuality for the DIY beginner through to even the most skillful enthusiast, with clear precise instructions and illustrations. The photos are really good, explaining every step what you should do to prepare your job and do it right first time. It's like the old adage, measure twice and cut once. With this book you will be able to turn out professional jobs because you are doing it right.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

DIY (2nd edition): Know-how with show-how
DIY (2nd edition): Know-how with show-how by Peter Parham (Hardcover - 2 Mar. 2009)