5.0 out of 5 stars a must buy for all parents
Published on 18 May 2010 by Ms. M. Duchi

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointed
After loving Penelope Leach's orginal 0 to 5 book I expected this one to be as detailed, however it just skims over the basics, I would have liked more about breastfeeding and more detailed information on taking care of baby.
Published on 14 July 2012 by izzyswhiskers

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointed, 14 July 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars a must buy for all parents, 18 May 2010
Ms. M. Duchi - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Essential First Year (Paperback)
Yet again Penelope Leach gives us another classic. I have just had my first baby and have found this book totally invaluable. Having a child is so daunting it is great to have a book like this on hand to refer to when you are at your wits end and just don't know what to do. She has a great writing style so it feels as if she is there with you. It is very user friendly as it is written in nice short chunks; great for when you are suffering from sleep deprivation! Penelope Leach has a very pragmatic and common sense approach to parenting whilst placing the child's needs firmly in the centre.

I found the sections on the infant brain particularly useful as it helps to understand why babies do what they do and debunk all the old wives tales; like babies crying to exercise their lungs or having the capacity to be manipulative etc.

A friend of mine who is nearly 50 came round to visit and when she saw the book she couldn't stop singing Penelope Leach's praises as she used her books for both her girls who are now in their 20s. A real testament to the longevity of an expert who really knows their stuff. This book should be standard issue for all parents to be!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Essential First Year by Penelope Leach, 15 Jun 2010
This review is from: The Essential First Year (Paperback)
I bought this book for my daughter when her baby was about four months old. It was only just published. I brought her up 30 years ago on Penelope Leach and hoped my grandson would benefit from Penelope's sensible and British approach. My daughter has found it very helpful and says it's one of her best baby books now.

One minor point - both my daughter and her husband agree with me that the cover is rather unattractive. Don't let it put you off!

Good luck with the babies in your life!

5.0 out of 5 stars The essential first year, 6 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Essential First Year (Paperback)
The book was straight to the point and didn't flower anything up , said exactly how things were going to be

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect baby book, 11 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Essential First Year (Paperback)
I love Penelope Leach! Book is calm, reassuring, baby-centred and realistic. What more could you want? Buy for all new parents!

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it, 31 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Essential First Year (Paperback)
I knew absolutely nothing about babies and therefore was a bit panicky when I realized I was pregnant. I loved this book. It came on time. It is packed of useful information and explanatory pictures. It gave me a better idea of what was expected and helped me getting organized.

5.0 out of 5 stars Penelope Leach is great!, 9 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Essential First Year (Paperback)
I ordered this book for a pregnant friend.
It was well packed and arrived undamaged.
It arrived in good time and my friend tells me
that it has been very helpful.

2.0 out of 5 stars Some points of interest, 11 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Essential First Year (Paperback)
Some general points of interest but has not been helpful advise for either of our children They seem to respond much better to Gina Ford's appraoch.

1.0 out of 5 stars shocked and appalled, 7 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Essential First Year (Paperback)
This book is just shocking, it is just one persons strong minded opinion. I can't even believe this person has children, they are so out of touch with reality. Having read this book i now feel completely useless and not equipped to be a mum. If you want to feel completely inadequate and small read this book! If you want to be a good mum (or dad), feel empowered and do the best you can at what is the hardest job you'll ever do without being judged then i suggest this book Your Baby Month By Month: What to expect from birth to 2 years. Even the outsider quotations are ridiculously biased and closed minded.
I will not even donate this book to a charity shop as i never want anyone to read this book again!

2.0 out of 5 stars Approach with caution, 10 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Essential First Year (Paperback)
As a first time mum with few friends with babies, I read this book and became the perfect Penelope Leach disciple...breastfeeding to six months, feeding on demand, living in a constant state of alert so that I could respond to the changing moods and needs of my son.

Unfortunately, the book taught me nothing about balancing his needs with mine, let alone those of my husband.

At the end of twelve months, I was a shell of my former self...exhausted, frazzled and finding the whole experience of motherhood completely "horrific".

Thankfully, I lady I met through a playgroup recommended Gina Ford to me and suddenly light appeared at the end of the tunnel.

Everything got better and I have not looked back.

My advice is to read this book to gain a good insight into your new baby but don't forget yourself in the process.

The Essential First Year
The Essential First Year by Penelope Leach (Paperback - 21 April 2010)
9.79