Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 4 March 2009
I have recently bought this book and it has been an enormous help. I learned to sew at school but have forgotten alot of things. This book has wonderful pictures and step-by-step instructions.
on 23 March 2010
I ordered this book based on a recommendation by a colleague who has been sewing for years. I'm a total novice and wanted a book that explained things simply with alot of photos/illustrations. I was further encouraged by all the positive reviews on this site so bought it. So far, I've not been disappointed, clear explanations with illustrations that even I can follow/understand! I would definitely recommend this.
on 7 September 2010
I am a beginner and wanted to buy a book to guide myself. I've compared many sewing books and finally decided to go for this one, mainly because of the number and quality of its photos. Many craft books's projects always have a too home-made touch but the projects in this book look like they are from a high-end shop - very well chosen chic colours and delicate fabrics, giving you passion to fulfill them.

The book starts from introducing basic tools to essential techniques such as how to make a collar, how to do binding, and provides over 20 projects to finally test your grasp of those techniques. Really good for beginners. The only reason why I don't give 5 stars? I'm just greedy and want more complicated projects to do!
on 18 April 2011
This book far exceeded my expectations. I have been sewing on and off for many years, but I am definately an amateur.
I wanted to learn tips and techniques to get a professional finish and that is exactly what it provides. I can't recommend this book enough. For all levels of expertise.
on 31 August 2010
I am a beginner/intermediate sewer and looking to improve my skills. I highly recommend this book as it is my clear favorite from the other sewing books on my desk - Singer's, Reader's Digest and DK's complete book of sewing

The reason is that the essentials are taught step by step with large accompanying pictures and explained concisely and very clearly. The projects listed are fun - they look nice and are worthwhile completing. This is a very encouraging book and by doing the projects - one actually acquires excellent skills without laboring so hard !

The various instructions on sewing eg collars, cuffs, facings etc are quite a breeze with this instruction format. I am finally getting over my placket phobia :-)

Do give the book a second look if you are unsure and compare it with the others that you may have on your shopping list. There's definitely good stuff going on here !
on 20 February 2012
I find this an absolute "must" to have sitting alongside me when I am working as it is so easy to follow. The photography is crisp, bright and clear and as the techniques are shown on pieces of fabric you can see how things will look like when you have finished - you hope! However, it does not have any Couture finishing tips to give your garment that extra "wow" factor.

It has a very good initial section on sewing tools and machinery including a very informative section on the different types of fabrics, what they are made of and what they would be used for within a garment. The Techniques part of the book which is the main body of the book - is clearly divided into well-marked sections ranging from collars, facings, piping, darts and speed tailoring and plenty more. The final smaller section of the book is concerned with soft furnishings and household and craft projects - such as aprons, cushions, jewellery rolls, place mats and working with polar fleece.

This is an extremely useful book to have to hand, and I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone - whatever their sewing ability.
on 4 August 2012
Have a couple of sewing books but wanted something more in depth which this certainly is. 400 pages covering everything you need to know about making clothing and furnishings. Ideal for complete beginners and for those with some experience. I especially liked the pages detailing the different fabrics and what threads and size needles are best used with them. I remember struggling at school trying to do a collar on a shirt which I eventually gave up on, but is now so clear after looking at how it's done in the book. The projects at the back of the book don't have fold out patterns but do give instructions on how to do them and give you an idea of what can be achieved at that skill level. Brilliant reference book that won't be gathering dust.
VINE VOICEon 22 October 2009
I am entirely self-taught when it comes to sewing. Whilst I have found soft-furnishings relatively straight forward, I found that I needed some guidance when it came to dressmaking. Whilst I have a good skills base, I found that all too often, my clothes ended up looking, well, homemade! I therefore bought this to fill me in on the techniques and tricks which would hopefully help me to improve the overall impression of the finished object. Overall, this is a really useful book. I would agree with other reviewers in that some of the pictures and projects do look a little dated, however, the step-by-step photos and descriptions really make things clear and as I learn best by reading, it's proved invaluable.
on 27 September 2011
Just received this book today. It's full of lots of sewing information with step by step techniques. It's incredibly informative. I'd recommend it to anyone that sews or who wants to start sewing. It would be a great book for any student studying fashion as you can dip in and out of it and there is pretty much every technique you need in there, wish i'd had it when i was at uni! It begins by going though all the equipment you need and the importance of them eg different scissors, different pins different threads for different materials. It shows you how to measure yourself, how to change bought patterns etc etc it's full of lots of knowledge that you can't always remember so i'm going to use mine as my sewing bible! The projects at the back are useful to get you started if your not great at sewing and although some might think they are outdated i think it might be down to the fabrics used. Change the fabric make it a bit more funky and your own style and they will be great projects! It's well worth the money too. I'm sure i'll get my moneys worth and i'm sure it will be passed down in the family through the years!
on 5 January 2010
Fantastic book for getting started. Goes through everything you need to know, but are not sure how to ask. Matches fabrics with purpose, threads with fabrics and gives step by step guides to do everything from making a cuff to a collar. Highly recommended.