5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for all avid sewers!
Published on 7 Sept. 2009 by Mr. D. J. K. Dring

3.0 out of 5 stars Not right for me
As always with DK books - good illustrations and descriptions of many key techniques, but I found some sections of the book less useful. I have sewn on and off for years and consider myself reasonably competent but I was really looking for something which offered a little more than the basics. The basics are quite good though - how to make buttonholes, attach facings,...
Published 7 months ago by bookworm

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for all avid sewers!, 7 Sept. 2009
Mr. D. J. K. Dring "djkd73" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sewing Book (Hardcover)
I love this book. It is very clearly illustrated and totally idiot proof. I have been sewing for years now and I have still learned a lot from this book. It takes you through step by step with a clear photograph of each stage. It isn't filled up with projects you don't want to make it just clearly shows the techniques so you can buy a pattern and make the things you do want to make professionally. It really is a must have and I would recommend it to beginners and experienced needleworkers alike you will refer to it again and again. No disappointment here!

5.0 out of 5 stars A book for life., 24 April 2009
Susan Taylor (wirral, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sewing Book (Hardcover)
I just love everything about the book, it makes everything so easy to follow. Diagrams and pictures are clear and straight forward.
For me this book will make returning to dressmaking, after many years absense, a joy and delight and for someone just taking their first steps at making their own items a brilliant guide and influence for the future.
Well done Alison for such a clear and concise guide and it was great to meet you in person at Aintree.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly What A Junior Dressmaker Needs!, 7 April 2010
A. M. Metcalfe (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sewing Book (Hardcover)
This book is highly recommended for anyone who wants all their basic sewing information in one place - everything is explained clearly and with lots of helpful diagrams and photos, and the difficulty level is perfectly pitched (not too complex but not not too patronisingly vague).

I was particularly impressed by the 'projects' section at the end, suggesting step-by-step instructions for what you can make with your new-found skills (not that I need extra help suggesting pretty things to make myself, however!). The projects have been carefully selected for those things which look extremely polished and professional but which only really rely on a few easy techniques; for example, a piped-edge bolster cushion. The one I made is sitting on my sofa right now and always gets compliments, even though it was made in half an afternoon from some old curtains!

Overall, an impressive and informative book - would make an excellent present for any beginner.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best sewing books available, 21 April 2009
Mrs. He Herron "Helen Herron" (Peterborough) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sewing Book (Hardcover)
I bought this book a few weeks ago. Having been on some of Alison's courses I knew it would be good and I wasn't disappointed. Everything you would ever need to know as an amateur dressmaker is included as well as some very good projects. Alison explains all the techniques simply and the photographs are a very good visual aid. I have gone back to the book time and again and probably will for years to come. If you can't get to a course, this is the next best thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Sewing Book, 15 Feb. 2009
A. Jackson (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sewing Book (Hardcover)
This is a fabulous book. It's packed full of photographs and step by step instructions for so many types of sewing. And it's real strength is that the advice clearly comes from an author who has both an enormous amount of sewing experience, and is also adept at explaining and illustrating techniques - something that is very evident in the quality of the book. It's my sewing and tailoring bible. Fantastic.

4.0 out of 5 stars a good overall resource, 4 May 2009
T (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sewing Book (Hardcover)
Great for sewers to learn all about fabric, tools, techniques. The projects in it are old fashioned though as indeed are some of the techniques - i.e. you won't find anything remotely funky in it ! However, that said, it's a gret book for the bookshelf because EVERYTHING related to sewing is in it - worth investing in.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for any beginner, 29 Dec. 2010
Ella Malin (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sewing Book (Hardcover)
I was looking for a dressmaking book that showed me how to do everything, but from a beginner's persepctive and I think that this book is great to have if you are just starting out sewing or if you have been doing it for years.

It not only shows you how to read patterns, but make admendments as well as all the different types of sewing techniques available.

It gives a brief overview of fabrics and sewing machines; how to thread them; how to plan your pattern on the material.

It is easy to read and follow with step by step instructions.

It also gives you little projects to do at the end of each chapter.

I was very impressed with this book, and would defibitely recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for beginners, 5 Jan. 2010
This review is from: The Sewing Book (Hardcover)
Fantastic book for getting started. Goes through everything you need to know, but are not sure how to ask. Matches fabrics with purpose, threads with fabrics and gives step by step guides to do everything from making a cuff to a collar. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE SEWING BOOK, 28 Oct. 2009
This review is from: The Sewing Book (Hardcover)
This is a really indepth, clearly laid out, well illustrated and explained book which starts right at the beginning and takes you through to more complicated projects at the end.A worthwhile purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic resource, 4 Mar. 2009
This review is from: The Sewing Book (Hardcover)
I have recently bought this book and it has been an enormous help. I learned to sew at school but have forgotten alot of things. This book has wonderful pictures and step-by-step instructions.

The Sewing Book
The Sewing Book by Alison Smith (Hardcover - 2 Feb. 2009)