5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, informative and balanced

Published on 8 Oct. 2002 by kit

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, informative and balanced, 15 Nov. 2001
By A Customer
Having had no previous experience of pregnancy, I found this book to be exceedingly useful - especially in the early stages where, in the UK, the pregnant woman is left largely to her own devices. As a doctor and a mother, Dr Stoppard's book is informative on both medical matters and those of the mother's emotions, physical changes, and expectations of birth - yet the medical detail is balanced with the more everyday and is neither over complicated nor patronising in its telling. As a mother herself, the author has managed to provide a realistic and reassuring recount of what to expect during the whole 9 months.

3.0 out of 5 stars a little old fashioned, 8 Oct. 2002
I found this book ok for information on birth and choices etc but I found the black and white photos of 1970's blokes with long hair and beards very disconcerting and made me feel that the 'new' in the title was not valid as they'd obviously dragged up photos from decades ago. I also found there was not enough information on the initial development, it uses some very basic diagrams and jumps from wks 12 to 16 to 20 with very little info about anything. As a first time mum I wanted to know exactly what was going on EVERY week and this book did not give me that. I did find the table of 'common complaints'useful. Overall on its own, not great, but in conjunction with other books it was ok.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, easy to read and not too frightening!, 1 Nov. 1999
By A Customer
This book has taken some of the mystery out of what is hopefully going to happen during the next 9 months. I've generally been completely freaked out about being pregnant but this book is convincing me I can do it too!!

5.0 out of 5 stars It helped shed all my unknown fears of what`s to come.., 23 Jan. 2002
Great book! I recommend it to all new expecting mothers that have no idea of what to expect. It is easy to read and has step by step guide and pictures of the changes to yourself and baby. It supplies you with everything you need to know for pregnancy and labour and how to handle it.
The only thing that did confuse me a little, as with other books I have read on maternity, was the part of good nutrition. She suggests what you shouldn`t eat, but then you will find some of these foods in her list of needed vitamins and minerals?
Apart from this, I have used this book as a mile stone for the past 6 months and It will be near me during labour as a reference guide, in case my husband needs it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, thorough and easy to read, 1 Aug. 2001
By A Customer
As only planning at the moment with a variety of ideas, rumours, do's and do not's, horror stories and sensationalist reports whizzing through my head I can honestly say that this is a reassuring, clear and easy to read book about pregnancy. It gives you everything you want to know without being too clinical or too scary.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, very informative, a must read for mums to be, 11 Mar. 2002
By A Customer
Brilliant read! I highly recommended it for mums to be and also dads as well.
Step by step guide with informative pictures for the 9 months ahead.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very 1950's, 1 Aug. 2003
By A Customer
I was very surprised how quickly I discarded this book, considering Miriam Stoppard is considered an expert in the field. Some of the information was surprisingly sparse and a whole section is wasted on detailing the menstrual cycle and conception (if you're buying a book on child birth it would be safe to consider that you already have some idea!). Some sections are very preachy (you must do things Miriam's way) and potential problems such as genetic disordesr are not well explained or sympathetically dealth with. I laughed out loud when reading the suggestion of installing a sink in the baby's room! There are much better more comprehensive books available.

5.0 out of 5 stars A musy for all first time mums..., 27 Sept. 2004
This book is brilliant! It really has some very useful advice for mums (and dads) to be. It is well written and very easy to understand. I use it as a constant reference tool and have done since I was six weeks pregnant. The advice is straightfoward - from planning the pregnancy right through to bring your child up.
There are exercises and breathing techniques as well as dieting and relationship advice - keep up the good work Miriam - this book will never date!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - packed with ALL the information you need !, 25 Nov. 1999
This book has really helped me throughout my pregnancy - I am currently 38 weeks pregnant and I will definately be taking this to the labour ward with me !!
It has some great pictures of inside the womb !

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, clear and helpful information, 16 Sept. 2009
This review is from: New Pregnancy and Birth (Paperback)
This was the third book I bought after finding out I was pregnant. The other two; The Bloke's Guide to Pregnancy (vg, but not indexed at all, so hard to find a specific topic) and The Rough Guide to Pregnancy and Birth (Rough Guides Reference Titles)(not taken to this one at all) are quite different to this one. Whilst this has some of the science / how the baby is developing stuff, that is really quite a small element and the bulk of this book is well indexed, practical information written in a clear style that covers all stages of pregnancy and how to prepare in all respects (you and your home) for the impending birth. I have found it a very helpful reference book and would certainly recommend it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

New Pregnancy and Birth
New Pregnancy and Birth by Miriam Stoppard (Paperback - 2 Jan. 2009)