5.0 out of 5 stars Eyewitness - probably the best overall guide books!
Published on 31 Mar 2012 by Cornish Deadhead

3.0 out of 5 stars Great pictures but very Art focused.
I am about to move to Italy and decided to purchase this book for all my Italian travel needs. I have been an avid user of lonely planet and Thompson city spot guides for many years. I love lonely planet however feel that they need more images to inspire my travels - hence buying this one.

If you are very building and art focused on your trips, this will be the...
Published 23 months ago by J. Whiteman

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Eyewitness - probably the best overall guide books!, 31 Mar 2012
Cornish Deadhead "Happy Harv" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I've travelled a fair amount over the years and have tended to buy guides/information books on the country/regions that I have visited, but some like the Rough Guides or Lonely Planet tend to be lacking in visual appeal. However, the Eyewitness guides are bursting with colour pictures and illustrations, so if you want your information visually as well as written, then this guide of Italy is for you.

It is easy to find the area you want with the thumbnail colour index on the pages, and the 720 pages are packed with photos, cutaways & floorplans of major sights, maps, sights to visit, huge selection of hotels, restaurants etc. There is a lovely 73 page introductory section aptly named "Introducing Italy" which is an enjoyable and interesting read in it's own right, in fact much of this guide makes interesting reading.

My reason for purchasing the guide is that I am visiting Italy for the first time in 20 years later on this year, and after considering a few others which I had viewed in shops, I settled on this 2012 edition as being the best available. It has a sturdy softback and measures approx 22h X 13w X 3d cms and with it's weight, one cannot exactly call it pocket size. However, the presentation, and information is superb in my opinion.

If you are going to spend time in Italy in the near future, then do yourself a favour and get a copy before you go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Travel guide, 27 Jan 2013
Went to Italy last year and bought this book to take with us. Well worth it, as we could have missed so many things on our way round if we had not had the information with us.
Excellent!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great pictures but very Art focused., 22 Jan 2013
J. Whiteman - See all my reviews

If you are very building and art focused on your trips, this will be the guide for you. However I personally like to know where to find the best restaurants, coffee shops, markets and more varied sights. This book has lovely pictures of churches etc but I feel that the information isn't varied enough for me.

There is a restaurant section at the back, however it is pretty boring!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Eyewitness guides are always good, 31 Dec 2012
This was a very useful and much used guide on our holiday this year. The information that Dorling Kindersley provide in their guides is always superb.

4.0 out of 5 stars ITALY DK GUIDEBOOK, 8 May 2012
Excellent product. Brilliant photos and maps. Everything I need for my tour. Quite heavy though - goes with the gloss I guess.

5.0 out of 5 stars Flavours of Italy, 25 Oct 2009
B. E. Adams (Hampshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Italy (Paperback)
I think that this series of DK travel info books are just great for wetting your appetite. There are lots of very good illustrations and many topics are covered. An ideal starting book for further research for the serious traveller and happy traveller alike.

4.0 out of 5 stars Italy: Eyewitness Travel Guide, 11 Oct 2012
Concise, with excellent relevant information. Illustrations and maps very good. My favourite travel guide publisher - a cut above the rest.

4.0 out of 5 stars As always, 1 Oct 2010
This review is from: DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Italy (Paperback)
As with all this series of guides, the book is very clear and user friendly - it is easy to browse, whereas many guidebooks require full reading and note taking in order to gather the required information. My only complaint is that large sections of the book are dedicated to Florence, Rome, Naples and Venice, and very little space is given to other regions. As there are separate books for the above regions, which I had already purchased prior to visiting them, I now feel I have bought two books on each of those places and still have insufficient information about other parts of Italy. It actually makes me wonder if there is any point in visiting other parts of Italy if there is apparently so little to see! I would be willing to buy books dedicated to the other regions, even if these were more general e.g. Southern Regions (Sicily, Puglia etc), North West Italy (Liguria, etc) and Eastern (Umbria etc).

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I thought it would be, but have not really been to Italy to use it so this may change., 5 Dec 2013
I bought this because I was trying to find out where to go in Italy where I would see all the sights, this does show the sights but
not in great detail. Very long reading not just quick highlights which would be helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book so far, 14 Nov 2013
Stein Erik Ansethmoen (SANDNES, Rogaland Norway) - See all my reviews
This book gives You a introduction to Italy in a excellent way. Good overview and easy to find places of interest.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Italy
DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Italy by Adele Evans (Paperback - 2 Feb 2009)
Used & New from: £0.01