5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I ever bought at a good price!
I am not much of a writer but I am honest and I bought this book to use as a reference to identify plants that appeared in Latin on a wholesale plant list,as my knowledge is limited to a few I can identify myself.
Published on 22 Jan 2005 by alan lee

3.0 out of 5 stars RHS Encyclopedia of Plants
Published 18 months ago by scotti

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I ever bought at a good price!, 22 Jan 2005
alan lee (HULL, east yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
The book turned out to be two excellent volumes housed in their own folder/binder and were very heavy and well made with the original high price label still showing.When the post arrived delivering these I thought I had made an error and ordered too many they are so big.The illustrations are in full colour photo format with easy to understand information to suit novice and professional alike and I was so impressed I have bought my Dad one for his Birthday and one for my neighbour as she was so impressed with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book!, 30 Sep 2008
Carl (Isle of Wight, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: RHS A-Z Encyclopedia of Garden Plants (Dk Rhs Encyclopedias) (Hardcover)
This is an excellent and informative Book, a superb set to add to my already overflowing bookcase almost every plant your ever likely to to want information on is in these two books! from Abelia to Zycopetalum and over 6,000 stunning colour photographs and 15,500 detailed plant profiles just like the blurb says. The books come in a sturdy cardboard sleeve/box which does a good job of protecting them from the odd bump or scratch although I would recommend buying protective plastic dust jackets for extra protection. The first book also has a nice forward by the president of The Royal Horticultural Society, Peter Buckley and also a few very detailed pages explaining how to use the books as well as some useful pages entitled "Botany For The Gardener" which discuss topics ranging from plant kingdoms through to leaf and flower structure (the most detailed explanations which I have every seen!).

When I first paid for these books I couldnt help but feel some what disappointed at the price of but now that I have had the chance to actually read through them I understand the amount of work and effort which has gone in to them and I truly believe that there worth every penny that I've paid!.

3.0 out of 5 stars RHS Encyclopedia of Plants, 18 April 2013
Have just upgraded to this from the 1996 edition and am extremely disappointed. While it remains an excellent reference, I have several problems with it. First, the identification of varieties with the RHS Award of Garden Merit has disappeared which is very annoying. Yes, these can be found on the RHS website but I'm not happy to have spent £40 - £60 on this edition to then have to go and check the website for the "best" varities. Second, the most useful classification against varieties, and glossary, of shrub pruning groups has gone. Why? Third, as another reviewer has said, the publishers missed an opportunity in not grouping plants into categories (trees, shrubs, herbaceous, etc.) which would be of great assistance to those with limited knowledge of species or who are looking for plants in a specific category. Finally, and a small point, I feel that the reproduction of photographs/images is relatively poor compared to my earlier edition. Some look over-exposed, others somewhat out of focus and/or grainy.

For my purposes, and level of knowledge, I reckon I've wasted my money buying this edition.

5.0 out of 5 stars RHS A-Z Encyclopedia of Garden Plants, 4 Oct 2006
A reader (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
I have an older edition of this book (1996 version), which is in one volume and is very bulky/heavy so I was delighted to see that the newer edition has been split into 2 volumes. Working in the Landscape design industry, I have found this book to be a valuable reference source since leaving college and the book has stood up to daily use in the office from myself and my colleagues for the past six years! The alphabetical listing (I'm presuming the new edition is the same) is very useful because you don't have to go to an index first. It gives a huge amount of information about each species and even a description of many variants and cultivars. It is the perfect compliment to other books that divide the species into plant use e.g. plants best for shade etc. and I would highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars All I ever wanted in a gardening book, 21 Oct 2011
When asking for advise at our local garden centre I noticed the "expert" looked up A - Z Encyclopedia and thought thats what I want. Amazon had the best price and excellent reviews for the book so I bought it. I am thrilled with it as it is easy to use and so well illustrated. Looks good in your book case too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Serves it's purpose very comprehensively, 27 Aug 2009
This pair of large volumes serves it's purpose very comprehensively in that it is mainly an alphabetical list of plants, over 15000, giving plenty of detailed information on each. Other sections are a basic introduction to gardening, a common names index and an index of botanical terms. It would be indispensable to more competant gardeners who already have books on gardening which cover a variety of topics in more detail, or are set out differently. In other words, these are not volumes to choose plants from, you'd have to know the plant name, then you can look it up and learn all about it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Investment, 21 Dec 2003
Leslie Robinson "ihateajs" (Switzerland) - See all my reviews
I got sick of being a cook, so I've started an RHS General Certificate and letterboxing local Swiss as a garden maintenence service provider. I needed a comprehensive book covering the full range of plants I might encounter and this one's got them all! It begins by proceeding through the various ornamental plant groups (grasses, aquatic etc.), which is a bonus if you have no idea what you are looking for, because the initial groupings use many of the genus names which then allow you to attack what initially looks like an overwhelming book. It cost a fortune in Swiss francs but worth every penny. I suspect this book will be with me for life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Encyclopedia of Plants, 22 April 2009
AJ MCPHEE (Germany) - See all my reviews
RHS A-Z Encyclopedia of Garden Plants (Dk Rhs Encyclopedias) An excellent, easily understandable book, which led me to the answers I was after (plants for a new moor-bed beside a pool)without any problems, especially when combined with the RHS Encyclopedia of Gardening, purchased at the same time.. The 2 (rather hefty) books together are a very good answer to gardening, for a semi novice like myself, with the only downside being that they have to be read indoors, and the information remembered (not always easy in your 70s) or written down. Apart from being heavy, the books are of far too good a quality to take into the garden. A 1st class product, which will afford me many happy hours, I am sure - Thankyou to RHS and Amazon. AJ McPhee

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for an aspiring gardener, 17 Oct 2011
Robert M. Horton "Bob" (Exmouth Devon) - See all my reviews
Essential reading for my son who is doing a gardening apprenticeship. the book arrived as always with Amazon very promptly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent set of Gardening Books, 25 April 2011
What a fabulous complete dictionary of Plants, trees and everything you need to know about each in a superbly bound 2 volume hard backed set.
Great photography and easy to understand explanations.
A must for any gardener and at a very reasonable price.

RHS A-Z Encyclopedia of Garden Plants (Dk Rhs Encyclopedias)
RHS A-Z Encyclopedia of Garden Plants (Dk Rhs Encyclopedias) by Christopher Brickell (Hardcover - 1 Sep 2008)